Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-10-27 10:04:06

Gallex

Re: rah_metas // new 1.x-versions of SEO/redirecting/automatic meta-tools

Jukka, could you show which attributes with which values you are using in your own homepage?

#14 2008-10-27 11:28:17

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Gallex wrote:

Jukka, could you show which attributes with which values you are using in your own homepage?

With my pleasure, mate :-)

Short answer: <txp:rah_metas />, but you should read the rest too…

My homepage? Which one and where? Rahforum.biz? (I don’t know which you mean by ‘homepage’, none I think) :D

But no, Rahforum.biz doesn’t use rah_metas nor any other stannard shared plugin (expect rah_plugin_download, rah_sitemap and rah_section_form) :-)

Also I must admit/point out one thing; I write plugins, but it doesn’t mean that I actually use them on my own pages/projects :P If I were, that would mean I use over 60 plugins on one website (note: which I don’t even own all of them (I just write code), some company owns some of them). And because of copyright laws (and silent trustmanship), I can’t tell you our company codes (only site’s where I use rah_metas sometimes + Rahinaa.biz uses it). Sry.

But usually it’s something like this similiar, in example my Finnish homepage Rahinaa.biz uses:

<txp:rah_metas />

But, as you can see rahinaa.biz uses custom solutions (read: rah_section_form). Yep, that is all, that is what i use on my homepage :D

Last edited by Gocom (2008-10-27 11:38:29)

#15 2008-10-27 13:07:10

Gallex

Gocom wrote:

I can’t tell you our company codes (only site’s where I use rah_metas sometimes + Rahinaa.biz uses it). Sry. But usually it’s something like this similiar, in example my Finnish homepage Rahinaa.biz uses: <txp:rah_metas />

ok, but maybe than you could tell me which description related attributes i should use to get automatic metadescription to work in this page frontpage.
i’m using description_from="body" prefercontent="1" description_replacement="1" description="Linnuvaatlused, -uudised, -alad, -artiklid, reisikirjad" but if i’m looking at frontpage source, it’s still uses a default metadescription.

But, as you can see rahinaa.biz uses custom solutions (read: rah_section_form). Yep, that is all, that is what i use on my homepage :D

i can’t find rah_section_form from rahforum.biz :(

#16 2008-10-27 13:28:05

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

but if i’m looking at frontpage source, it’s still uses a default metadescription.

Er yeah, cause it isn’t article. Automatic metadescription is only aplied in individual article context as stated in the doc :) The plugin can not magically know what content to use, you know ;)

i can’t find rah_section_form from rahforum.biz :(

Here you go: rah_output_section_form I use that plugin to output “section/category/tag” etc listing page descriptions.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-10-27 13:31:42)

#17 2008-10-27 14:29:58

Gallex

Gocom wrote:

Er yeah, cause it isn’t article. Automatic metadescription is only aplied in individual article context as stated in the doc :)

i don’t understand one thing: if it’s not an article then what is it?

Here you go: rah_output_section_form I use that plugin to output “section/category/tag” etc listing page descriptions.

you wrote rah_section_form instead of rah_output_section_form in previous post, that’s why i didn’t find it :)

#18 2008-10-27 15:06:06

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Gallex wrote:

i don’t understand one thing: if it’s not an article then what is it?

It’s a list context page, a section page, as frontpage always is. Not an individual article page, just a page where you just output the article, and as we know, rah_metas can not know that.

Article context is place where permlink leads, where if_individual_article conditional returns true.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-10-27 15:09:18)

#19 2008-11-12 05:21:33

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

New version, 1.0.4, of rah_metas released. Changelog:

• Added attribute: relnext.
  • Added attribute: relprev.
  • Minified amount of used globals by one.

More info and downloads

#20 2008-12-24 23:08:45

maniqui
Website

Hi Jukka,

I know you fixed a bug related to last words being truncated wrongly, but both in v1.0.3 and v1.0.4 I’m getting this output if rah_metas truncates the sentence on an html entity:

“word&#8230&hellip;” (correct version: “word&#8230;&hellip;”

or

“&#8216;last words&&hellip;” (correct version: “&#8216;last words&#8217;&hellip”).

BTW, as a Christmas gift (for you to us!) it may be cool to cut the &#8230; if it is the latest character on the truncated text, so to avoid a double ellipsis. Ok, ok, Santa Claus must be already on his way, maybe for next X-mas…

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#21 2008-12-24 23:25:11

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

maniqui wrote:

I know you fixed a bug related to last words being truncated wrongly, but both in v1.0.3 and v1.0.4 I’m getting this output if rah_metas truncates the sentence on an html entity

You have just reached the limit of characters. All chars are counted as chars, also that are in entities.

Will fix this by using textile body and textile excerpt, instead of body_html and moving Textiling and html removing after the count. That way it will avoid these situations. Will make page load slower but well. I already have somehow useless textile parsing in the code.

maniqui wrote:

BTW, as a Christmas gift (for you to us!) it may be cool to cut the if it is the latest character on the truncated text, so to avoid a double ellipsis. Ok, ok, Santa Claus must be already on his way, maybe for next X-mas…

Will be that by removing dots and commas end of the description after count is done, before content is Textiled.

Edit. Forget about that, going to build a brand new word/char counting method that doesn’t use really slow preg functions :)

Last edited by Gocom (2008-12-24 23:45:47)

#22 2008-12-25 01:44:36

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

Released a new version of rah_metas, 1.0.5. Changelog:

• Added attribute: escape.
  • Rebuild description’s word and chars counting: now always counts correctly: doesn’t ever cut words.
  • Optimized parsing and speed: plugin is around 20% faster than before.
  • Removes from the end of the description if trails are used and description is cut from context and shortened.
  • Updated docs and now PHP minimum requirement is 4.4.0+.

More info and downloads

Edit. All that downloaded plugin before 3:50 AM GMT+2, it was not version 1.0.5, even if the page stated so. There was some issues with syncing, that why 10 minutes “offset”. Now the plugin download is version 1.0.5 and not 1.0.4.

Last edited by Gocom (2008-12-25 01:56:51)

#23 2009-04-14 08:53:23

mrjysta

Hey guys, any way this plug-in will work for section stickies and the default home page? ATM I don’t get any description or keywords on these pages.

#24 2009-04-14 09:03:13

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

mrjysta wrote:

Hey guys, any way this plug-in will work for section stickies and the default home page? ATM I don’t get any description or keywords on these pages.

Because those aren’t articles, but article_list context pages, so the plugin can not know what to show in the meta data, because there is none to show of. Some quotes from the previous page:

Er yeah, cause it isn’t article. Automatic metadescription is only aplied in individual article context as stated in the doc :) The plugin can not magically know what content to use, you know ;)…

It’s a list context page, a section page, as frontpage always is. Not an individual article page, just a page where you just output the article, and as we know, rah_metas can not know that.

Article context is place where permlink leads, where if_individual_article conditional returns true.

Solutions: pull them manually, if_section compinations, description and keywords default values, rah_output_form or so on.

Last edited by Gocom (2009-04-14 09:12:08)

Board footer