Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#169 2008-06-27 15:39:47

maverick
Website

Re: Marketing TXP

maverick wrote:

I hear some overlap between zero and Stuart.

Destry wrote:

I’m hearing different.

One thing zero and Stuart have in common though, compared to others here, is they feel something needs done, and that’s a lot in itself.

That “one thing in common” was the overlap I heard. :-D

I figured their disagreement was about strategy, not the core issue they wanted to address. Since there seems to be a group who have identified a challenge to be addressed, and motivated to do something I wanted to ask “what’s the next step?” Strategy could be worked out after that.

Wet’s posts show that the next step was already underway, he is spearheading it, has a team working on it, and some of the people who see the problem are on the team. So it seems (imho) like they should be given time to work on things.

• hakjoon wrote*

Jon Hick’s TXP vs EE

The comments on Jon’s site are interesting. As someone who love’s Txp tag language, it was interesting to see it come up in Jon’s article and in the comments.

<warning – opinion :) >

• I too like the basic assumptions and UI philosophy behind Txp. Putting the ascetics debate aside (I’m good with the standard look, but I like Jon’s admin theme a bit better), the UI/phi of Txp is the second strongest influence on why I use Textpattern. I have similar thoughts as Jon and some of the commenters about EE. Sort of “I’m impressed with it, and want to like it, but there’s just something . . . . “ (especially about the admin area).
  • I think Txp shines in publishing. Personally I have not found anything easier or stronger.
  • I think that in managing content – especially w/ large numbers of posts, images, links, etc. and/or with extra fields – we are improving, but it still takes a number of plugins to make some features possible (think custom fields, categories/tags, etc) or it easy to administrate (think of some of the admin-side search plugins, sed_section_fields, collapsible sections, etc, image insertion, etc.)

All this plays into marketing buzz, perceptions, etc.

</warning>

Thanks Wet for the gentle reminder that if we like Txp, and if we want more buzz, we need to step up to the plate, use the resources at our disposal, and publish our Txp thoughts.

Confession: its been a few months since my last Txp review on one of my sites. Time to stop talking and just do it.

Last edited by maverick (2008-06-27 15:42:16)

#170 2008-06-27 16:30:20

zero
Website

My only difference with thebombsite really is over the same thing I disagree with most or all of you – I think there should be textpatternblog.com.

I am quite open to all his suggestions and most of all I agree that something needs to get done NOW and that people who have volunteered either by putting their names down on wet’s wiki or have contributed to wet’s wiki need to just get on with it sooner rather than later. Re content or design coming first – well I think, like sthmtc said, they should go hand in hand. From the wiki so far, content is ahead but I assume the designers are taking note.

Maverick, I’ve enjoyed reading all your comments, you seem very clear. Please let us know when you post that article. I look forward to reading it! And I hope you’ll keep an eye on wet’s wiki and perhaps input something no matter how small.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#171 2008-06-27 22:04:44

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Well I’ve volunteered here but not on Robert’s wiki. I just hate wikis don’t you know. :( Excuse me whilst I go and check it out.

EDIT

I see. So how do you volunteer then?

Last edited by thebombsite (2008-06-27 22:11:23)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#172 2008-06-27 22:24:05

zero
Website

thebombsite wrote:

So how do you volunteer then?

Login as thebombsite, edit the page to put your name down if you wish or do what some people have done and just start editing.

It’s handy to subscribe to page changes

For others wishing to do likewise, we are referring to this relaunch page

Last edited by zero (2008-06-27 22:31:38)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#173 2008-06-28 03:00:48

keith
Website

Bloke wrote:.

Oops, sorry, short memory syndrome.

No need to apologise, Stef – but this thread has been characterised throughout by people (not you) so intent on promulgating their own narrow little world views, that perfectly valid and useful ideas have been utterly dismissed – ignored – to the extent that I’ve actually retrospectively deleted posts I’ve made, taking a “stuff it, I might as well be typing in invisible pixels” view.

I’m out.

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

#174 2008-06-28 03:16:16

maverick
Website

keith

fwiw – I thought your posts had worthwhile insights.

Mike

#175 2008-06-28 08:30:02

zero
Website

Keith, the same goes for me too, your posts are worthwhile. You don’t really know your views are being ignored, do you? I certainly don’t reply to everyone’s comments and most people don’t reply to mine, but it doesn’t mean they are being ignored – rather, I think you’ll find on this forum, they are being noted for future reference. I hope the narrow views aren’t mine!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#176 2008-06-28 08:46:44

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Ditto, you always make informed, thoughtful posts; just a shame I didn’t re-read the thread before I posted that bollocks above!

OT: How’s this for being ignored :-D *sniff* well I thought it was a good idea. Being able to filter by keyword and then mass-edit the results is brill for handling hundreds of images but not mainstream enough to be useful, it seems (EDIT: mind you, it’s part of 4.0.7 now so perhaps it was noted…)

Last edited by Bloke (2008-06-28 08:58:34)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#177 2008-06-28 11:24:37

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I get ignored all the time but it doesn’t bother me. At least if you have said it, when someone else says the same thing 2 or 3 pages later you can always point out that you happened to mention this about a week ago. What took you so long? :)

I’m now registered on the wiki and have done some minor editing, mainly punctuation. :)

Stuart

#178 2008-06-28 19:23:20

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Just a thought, but reading through the Feature List, if we are going to say that data can be easily imported from other applications, hadn’t we better ensure that the import scripts are fully functional? Not that I’m suggesting they aren’t but just to be sure.

Stuart

#179 2008-06-28 21:35:05

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

wet wrote:

Guys: Make More Waves! Publish! Tweet! Blog!

Lessons learned from a reddit overload

If web developers choose a certain platform and it doesn’t scale well, then anything we may say about Textpattern is not going to make much of a difference. What Michael said above, resonates throughout the web, he’s not the only one to experience issues.

#180 2008-06-28 22:06:06

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Over 8.000 visits per day, plus some more.

Highest OMG BBQ! I keep telling people not to serve a public website from their old TI-51 III with the magnetic stripe reader, but some really fail to understand.

Matt

Board footer