Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#901 2011-08-04 08:57:24

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Re: glz_custom_fields

Cheers for all your support guys. I now have v1.3.0 ready, will be releasing it shortly.

Tracking code is now disabled by default. The initial reason for the tracking code was to see how many of you are actively using the plugin. It enables me to appreciate better as to how much effort I should put in the upcoming major version. To be honest, I haven’t been using TXP in years – I’ll say that again: YEARS – the only reason why I’m still here is because of the few passionate people that inspire me and give me a reason to put aside my distaste towards PHP and keep an essential TXP component alive.

Once again, I apologise towards those of you that felt their privacy was invaded with this tracking code. That was never my intention. To provide full disclosure in this forum (everyone on the glz_custom_fields mailing list will have already seen this), this is what the tracking code enables me to see:

Those are my user agent details, I was the only one using the plugin at the time of this screenshot:

Me again, plotted on a map:

This will be available to everyone at http://map.cf.gerhardlazu.com (also present in the plugin preferences page). It’s not live yet btw. Rapportive have a very nice world map.

It’s all real-time data, no history is being stored. There are plans for it, but nothing concrete as of yet.

Hope this clears the air a bit and gets us focused on the new version which I’m really keen to get started until something else takes my interest…

Last edited by gerhard (2011-08-04 14:31:09)

#902 2011-08-04 09:03:57

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

One important thing that I failed to mention is that I currently work for GoSquared, so this helps me push the LiveStats product further than your regular website tracking. Even though I work for this company and I could easily get this service for free, I am paying for it because it provides me with real value. Until you put your money where your mouth is, you’re not being serious.

No, this is not a sales pitch, I’m just providing full disclosure so that we can close this subject.

#903 2011-08-04 13:38:09

peterj

Your plugin is much appreciated Gerhard. I love it to pieces. Thank you for continuing with it even if you aren’t using it yourself these days. End of gush.

#904 2011-08-04 13:51:43

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

You’re an awesome community, I’m really happy to be part of it!

#905 2011-08-04 14:11:01

frickinmuck

I understand that we live in paranoid times, and respect people’s desire to make their own decisions about this, but I am disappointed that the tracking won’t be as useful to you as it was before the opt-in, because I feel your needs should be supported in any way possible. You’ve done so much for us, for no other reason than to help out, and your plugin is pretty much essential, as far as I’m concerned, and I use it on everything. It blows me away that you are working on expanding on this, even though you say you haven’t used TXP in years. That just shows how awesome you are, and I appreciate it! I will be opting in as a means of showing you that I care about this awesome plugin. How often do we get a chance to do that?

The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else.

#906 2011-08-04 14:14:57

joebaich
Website

Bravo Frickinmuck, well said indeed.

#907 2011-08-04 15:18:35

mrdale
Website

+1 FrickinMuck

#908 2011-08-05 18:18:06

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I wanted to report this here in addition to the bug tracker because I need to figure out a workaround.

After upgrading a site that uses MLP to the latest version of glz_custom_fields, the duplicate Excerpt field issue was indeed solved. But now I’m having the same issue with the Body field: a duplicate Body field appears below all my glz Textarea custom fields and above the Excerpt field.

Here’s how it looks in the source order:

p.body <!-- This field includes a hak_tinymce editor -->

<!-- Textarea-type custom fields -->

p.body[dir=ltr]  <!-- This duplicate Body field includes a dir attribute, but no tinymce editor -->

p.excerpt[dir=ltr]

I can’t use the same CSS hack I used before because hiding the first Body field also hides the tinymce Editor that my clients use to markup the content. If I hide the second Body field instead, that field is submitted regardless of edits to the visible field. This is a big problem when updating an article.

Help!

[Ahem, thank you.]

#909 2011-08-05 18:24:13

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I posted this issue on Github here.

#910 2011-08-05 18:44:38

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

I found a temporary workaround: I reverted my scripts directory and reinstalled version glz_custom_fields v1.2.4.

#911 2011-08-05 19:49:20

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Just sent you an e-mail John, looking forward to squashing this bug once and for all!

#912 2011-08-12 09:04:51

mmelon

Hi,

Has anybody succeeded in adding tinymce’s to custom field text areas?

Thanks,
Mike

Board footer