Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#481 2009-09-29 13:21:07

renobird
Website

Re: glz_custom_fields

Gerhard,

Woke up to find this little gem sitting in my inbox. THANK YOU!, THANK YOU!, THANK YOU!

:)

#482 2009-09-29 13:32:06

masa

Gerhard,

superb work, new features, compatibility with 4.2.0 etc. !

Two small issues I ran into playing with it:

• Multi-Select only shows the first two options in the Write tab.
  • Changing a standard field from text input to e.g. radio or select requires you to save before allowing you to input options in the value field. Perhaps it’s meant to work like that, but I wanted to mention it just in case.

This is on a clean install of 4.2.0.

On a sidenote I was reminded of what always irritated me about glz_custom_fileds: the yellow-background focus styles. I don’t mind having them in the glz interface, but not in the entire admin. In the write tab they’re a bit annoying. So the first thing I do is to remove that rule from the plugin.

#483 2009-09-29 13:40:54

masa

Another question…

the plugin allows the use of any characters, spaces in cf names. Are those now safe to use?

#484 2009-09-29 13:52:18

mlarino

Whats up Gerhard!
Just one thought before you start working on the sed_section_fields integration…
sed_section_fields is great, defenetly something everyone will need in your plugin.
But how about expanding it a little bit? Right now what sed_section_fields will do is filter custom fields depending on the section you choose.
How about expanding that option also to custom fields? not only sections.
Imagine I have custom_field1 as a select. (A B or C)
if I select A custom_field2 is visible.
if I select B custom_field3 is visible.
if I select C custom_field4 is visible.

In my case I would use it for this situation:
custom_field1 = TYPE OF RESTAURANT (Asian, Italian, Mediterranean)

if custom_field1 = Asian -custom_field2 = TYPE OF ASIAN FOOD (Chinesse, Japanesse, Thay)

if custom_field1 = Italian -custom_field3 = TYPE OF ITALIAN FOOD (Pizza, Pasta…)

Dont know if I explain it right… its just a thought, being able to hide custom fields depending of what custom fields are used (maybe could be done if the are organized as parents and childs) If the parent is active, the childs will be visible…

#485 2009-09-29 14:09:39

redbot
Plugin Author

masa wrote:

… On a sidenote I was reminded of what always irritated me about glz_custom_fileds: the yellow-background focus styles. I don’t mind having them in the glz interface, but not in the entire admin. In the write tab they’re a bit annoying. So the first thing I do is to remove that rule from the plugin.

Another thing you could do – and this is a suggestion for the next version too – is install ied_plugin_composer and set plugin type to “admin” instead of “Admin + Client” (this new plugin type was introduced since v 4.08 I think)

Multi-Select only shows the first two options in the Write tab.

But you got scrollbars right? At least I have. Or maybe you mean that multiselects should expand their width to show all options automatically?

Another very minor suggestion for Gerhard: I noticed all versions of glz_custom_fields are showing by default as “modified” in the “plugins” tab. It’s nothing really important, just wanted to let you know.

Ah, another minimal thing: I noticed when I set a default value for radios and then hit “reset” the value gets actually reset but to see the change you have to save the article.

Last edited by redbot (2009-09-29 14:16:41)

#486 2009-09-29 14:14:39

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

redbot wrote:

Another very minor suggestion for Gerhard: I noticed all versions of glz_custom_fields are showing by default as “modified” in the “plugins” tab. It’s nothing really important, just wanted to let you know.

I don’t get the glz_custom_fields ‘modified’ warning in my system’s plugins tab.

Last edited by philwareham (2009-09-29 14:14:52)

#487 2009-09-29 14:20:34

redbot
Plugin Author

philwareham wrote:

I don’t get the glz_custom_fields ‘modified’ warning in my system’s plugins tab.

Really? Strange I have this happening always in different sites and with all plugin versions…
anyway I’ll consider the thing solved as this is absolutely not a problem for me.

#488 2009-09-29 14:28:55

maniqui
Website

I think it’s time to finally buy a copy of this great plugin. Thanks Gerhard.

mlarino wrote:

Just one thought before you start working on the sed_section_fields integration…

Wouldn’t like to ruin your dreams, mlarino, but what makes you assume that Gerhard is going to work on sed_s_f integration? It’s not his plugin…
Well, I may be missing something, and anyway, it’s not of my business either.

Any way, the request you are asking of conditionally show/hide custom fields depending on values set on other custom fields seems, imho, a bit out of the scope of glz_custom_fields and sed_section_fields, and hard to get a generic/flexible solution in the shape of a plugin.

mlarino, you will probably be able to manually craft this functionality using some custom jQuery that suits your exact needs. You will have it in place in almost no time. What do you think?

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#489 2009-09-29 14:39:34

mlarino

Well… Gerhard sayd he was going to integrate both plugins that why I made that sugestion.

Dont know much of JQuery, I will have to study first :) but is all that is posible without a plugin I will defenetly start today :)

#490 2009-09-29 14:42:21

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

Wouldn’t like to ruin your dreams, mlarino, but what makes you assume that Gerhard is going to work on sed_s_f integration? It’s not his plugin… Well, I may be missing something, and anyway, it’s not of my business either.

We got an eMail from Gerhard this morning:

THE NEXT VERSION

First thing that I’m planning for the plugin is integration of sed_section_fields. It’s a no brainer really, glz_custom_fields doesn’t feel complete without this awesome plugin.

#491 2009-09-29 14:44:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

redbot wrote:

set plugin type to “admin” instead of “Admin + Client”

Won’t that break the <txp:glz_custom_fields_search_form /> tag?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#492 2009-09-29 14:59:15

redbot
Plugin Author

Bloke wrote:

Won’t that break the <txp:glz_custom_fields_search_form /> tag?

Oops! There was a reason then!
Sorry I never used the search feature and I have completely forgot it.
But wait, if I’m not wrong this tag has been removed from this version

From plugin help:

Because this is a back-end plugin primarily, there are no front-end functions. There has been a glz_custom_fields_search_form() function, but this has been removed, it might be added in a future version. For the time being, please use wet_haystack.

Last edited by redbot (2009-09-29 15:03:04)

Board footer