Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#409 2009-09-08 16:10:06

freischwimmen
Website

Re: glz_custom_fields

mlarino wrote:

freischwimmen, Do more than 10 custom fields display in your sections tab?

From how i used custom fields so far… they don`t have anything to do with sections and (therefore) also do not show up in the sections tab. if they do when using sed_section_fields ignore my answer, i never used that plugin and cannot say anything about that. Sorry.

#410 2009-09-11 12:19:58

andreas
Website

I’ve updated to TXP 4.2 which breaks this plugin. I am a paying subscriber.

Are there any fixes for this to work with the latest TXP version?

Thanks in advance.

#411 2009-09-11 13:09:17

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Hey all, quick update on glz_custom_fields status. I did take a stab at it last night, but didn’t manage to finalize it, it’s not fully functional on the new TXP 4.2.0. There is a lot of good stuff in 4.2.0 for plugin developers, thanks Robert and everyone else that made this cracking functionality available.

I will be working on the plugin tonight and throughout the weekend so that we can have a 4.2.0 compatible version out asap. The focus is to get it working, not adding new functionality so hopefully you won’t be disappointed : ).

Now that I’m settled in the new place I am finding more spare time for coding, a lot of it will be dedicated to getting this plugin right. This brings me to my next point.

I would like to polish off glz_custom_fields and add some new functionallity (trigger words, default value are top of the list) and write another cracking plugin for TXP, similar to glz_custom_fields in terms of value and usefulness. My thought was to write a super plugin which will read all plugins that are installed on any TXP instance, keep track of them, notify about updates and perform that either individually or as a batch through a few clicks. This is way more complex than glz_custom_fields since it will need a standalone app that will keep track of all available TXP plugins, on top of the actual plugin. The plugin itself will be freely distributed, the service holding and distributing all plugin data will be restricted, each of you will have to pay for the right to access this service and consume data. Similar to the glz_custom_fields plugin, each e-mail address from which donations are sent will be provided with a unique API key for the online app.

I can either write my own Ruby app and get on the SAAS bandwagon or add more value to TXP through another brilliant addition. What do you say?

#412 2009-09-11 13:17:47

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Also, a note on all upgrading to the latest TXP 4.2.0. I used to always be on the cutting edge. Because of that, I had a lot of problems. Things would break or not work properly, new functionality would find its way in which I didn’t really need. I am still running OS X Leopard 10.5 and haven’t upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6 just because I don’t need the extra hassle. I always run my servers 1 major version behind, simply because they are tried and tested, rock solid systems. Believe it or not, I still have TXP 4.0.1 sites out there which are like Rolexes, never missed a beat.

What I’m saying is that new is not always the best. It does have new features and it does look glitzy, but does it really add that much value to justify all the hassle you’ll always have with a new system? I did check out the new features in TXP 4.2.0, there’s nothing there that would make me rush to update.

Having said that, glz_custom_fields will be made to work with TXP 4.2.0 ASAP, just give it a few days : ). Thanks for your patience!

#413 2009-09-11 13:40:41

kevinpotts

What I’m saying is that new is not always the best. It does have new features and it does look glitzy, but does it really add that much value to justify all the hassle you’ll always have with a new system? I did check out the new features in TXP 4.2.0, there’s nothing there that would make me rush to update.

I agree with you on this, but not completely. There is no functionality that I am specifically enamored by in 4.2.0 (admin themes and multi sites mean little to me), but what I do see is an evermore powerful system and architecture. It opens the door to radical new plugins, like smd_bio, which is functionality that I’ve been seeking for years.

Very much looking forward to the new glz_cf.

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#414 2009-09-11 15:56:43

masa

gerhard wrote:

My thought was to write a super plugin which will read all plugins that are installed on any TXP instance, keep track of them, notify about updates and perform that either individually or as a batch through a few clicks. This is way more complex than glz_custom_fields since it will need a standalone app that will keep track of all available TXP plugins, on top of the actual plugin.

Well, since you asked for feedback…

personally I don’t think this would be of much use for me. Once a site is up and running, I rarely touch its technical underpinnings; it’s content updates more than anything. Unless I experience problems I just leave it as it is, let alone regularly check for updates to plugins. In general I’m suspicious of automated updates: what if a new version of a plugin requires a higher version of txp than what you’re running?

I’m also thinking, you might be headed for trouble, since you don’t have control over others’ plugins, where they can be obtained etc. As you say yourself, this sounds rather complex.

On the other hand I find adding new features to glz_custom_fields more exciting   :-)

Last edited by masa (2009-09-11 16:10:39)

#415 2009-09-11 16:03:01

kevinpotts

personally I don’t think this would be of much use for me. Once a site is up and running , rarely touch its technical underpinnings; it’s content updates more than anything. Unless I experience problems I just leave it as it is, let alone regularly check for updates to plugins.

I largely agree with this. I only update plugins if I am having technical problems. I’ve had more things broken arbitrarily upgrading to new versions than just leaving them sit, especially with complicated ones like permalinks and custom fields.

Kevin
(graphicpush)

#416 2009-09-11 16:14:08

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Ok, fair enough guys. What would be really really useful to you?

#417 2009-09-11 16:20:20

mrdale
Website

Hi Gerhard, Thanks for the update.

I’m all for the new changes.

1. Since I always use a custom theme on all my sites, the themeing mechanism is welcome as I don’t have to hack the codebase while altering the standard markup of the Admin.
  2. Since most of my sites are variants of txp installed on a common server(s) The multi-site install is going to be really useful. It’s also something that has been asked for on and off for a long time.

Now… regarding glz_custom_fields I’ve been looking forward to getting this up and running with 4.2 and notice that it (lightly hacked version) worked up until very recently. So consider me your #1 cheerleader.

My Priorities (before you put a lid on glz for a while)

1. Fully functional on a vanilla 4.2 install (I believe that bloke made this possible)
  2. textarea field
  3. It would be really nice to have some kind of ordering mechanism for fields (doesn’t even have to be pretty)
  4. Date field picker (which I guess could be injected manually with a hack)

#418 2009-09-11 16:39:44

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Hey Dale, just quick, all doable for glz_custom_fields. Date field picker is already done, haven’t made it public yet because wasn’t all polished, will make it part of the next release ; ).

#419 2009-09-11 16:46:04

masa

Trigger Words would be brilliant.

#420 2009-09-11 18:16:02

jeremywood

I’d like to second the addition of a textarea field. That’s a biggie for me.

What about custom fields for files?

Board footer