Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2007-09-17 14:04:15

mrdale
Website

Re: glz_custom_fields

iblastoff wrote:

I’m currently using rss_thumbpop for a site and the way its set up, the user has to manually type an image category name into a custom field, and then the plugin takes that image category name to output a specific gallery for that article.

Have you ever tried using asy_wondertag to automatically feed attribute values to rss_thumbpop. I’ve used it several times, works like a charm. The key is using identical image and article category names where appropriate. Of course it would be nice to have content-independent categories (ala xPattern) for just this purpose.

#14 2007-09-18 09:47:27

pieman
Website

Jeremie wrote:

Another one: what about using this for keywords? In a multiple-authors website, it’s easy to misspell keywords. If I write a Texpattern article on a blog, what’s his keyword: textpattern, Textpattern, TXP? And there’s the possibility of typos. So when the article’s keywords area is selected, the user would have an (alphabetically sorted) overlay of existing keyword. He can click to the ones he wants, or add his new ones (that will be displayed for the next use of this functionality).

this can already be done with tru_tags if that’s any help

#15 2007-09-18 14:00:23

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Jeremie wrote:

Yup, this is a great plugin, covering a functionality we’ve waited for several long years. Well done Gerhard!

Another suggestion: local, context, explanations (micro documentation). From the user point of view, maybe he has a Help button for each custom field, or an overlay that appear when he select this specific custom field area. Of course, the webmaster would have to write the micro-documentation (probably at the same stage as setting up the custom field and choices themselves).

I would love to see this as well. For instance, I have an IA that would break, if someone would enter the wrong custom_field values in the wrong fields. Custom field names on this install are mostly IA specific, and don’t give the User a clue, which custom_fields have to be populated, and with which data, if there is not a detailed custom made client manual.

On one section, specific fields are used, while others have to remain emty, on another section other fields are used, and so on.

As I can see from Gerhard’s notes, section specific custom fields are on the roadmap for version 2.

How about this one ?

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#16 2007-09-19 07:49:33

gerhard01
Plugin Author

gerhard wrote:

* help in multiple languages (any translators wanting to offer for this?)

I could help out with a German translation.

#17 2007-09-19 09:49:38

marios
Archived Plugin Author

gerhard wrote:

* help in multiple languages (any translators wanting to offer for this?)

Can be done in greek as well.
Let me know, in which format, way.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#18 2007-09-19 17:05:03

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

Gerhard, you might want to be more specific in your original post about exactly how people can go about paying you for this miraculous plugin. ;-)

(Yes, I found it. I just don’t want anyone else to have to hunt.)

I don’t have use for this myself just yet, but I recently wrapped up work with a client that may need exactly what you’ve done as their site expands. Good stuff.

#19 2007-09-20 10:51:45

milosevic

Hi Gerhard,

Good work, nice plugin! If you need spanish translation, I can do it.

<txp:rocks/>

#20 2007-09-20 21:29:58

Rigel
Website

Hi gerhard,

how I can obtain the value of checbox that comprises of custom_1_set. For example, if custom Set has 4 checkbox and is 2 checked, how I obtain the value of each one separately?

How it is used the tag conditional for custom fields for custom set of checkbox?

Thanks.

#21 2007-09-21 01:11:02

redbot
Plugin Author

Gerhard,
I must say this plugin works very well, I’m trying it in various scenarios and always behaves correctly with zero problems.
I’ve three minor suggestions:
1) to list the values for a given field in the same order in which they are entered by the user in the extensions tab (now they are sorted alphabetically)
2) when a field has only one checkbox, avoid putting the name of the only possible value next to the checkbox. Now it looks a little redundant because the name of the field is already describing the meaning of the checkbox.
3) In a previous post I (wrongly) complained about the <txp:glz_custom_fields_article /> tag outputting all articles if no search query was specified.
Well… I thought about it and came to the conclusion that your answer was completely right from a logical point of view but maybe not always right from a user perspective.
Imagine a site with hundreds of articles (keep in mind that an “article” can be also a product description or a specific item in a catalog) and a search page with some selects and no default values specified.
If I press the submit button without making a choice, in some cases I expect to receive a warning like “please choose a search criteria”, not to have a list of hundreds of items ordered alphabetically (though I know this is not always the case).
So why not create an attribute similar to no_results which redirects to a specified section if no search values are specified? Something like no_values (sorry I can’t find a better name at the moment).
I hope this makes at least some sense.
cheers

Last edited by redbot (2007-09-21 01:12:18)

#22 2007-09-21 19:36:20

maniqui
Website

Just chime in to suggest that would be great if any translation effort is also made MLP compatible.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#23 2007-09-21 20:49:15

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

Hm… I’m guessing – is it free? $)

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#24 2007-09-21 21:53:04

mrdale
Website

While it’s now available free, estupido! I’d suggest a donation of some kind, if this plugin is anywhere as useful to you as it is to me. It will encourage future development.

I’m selfish. There are a bunch of 2.0 features I could use sooner than later. :)

Last edited by mrdale (2007-09-22 02:12:04)

Board footer