Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2008-01-30 22:26:42

jelle

Re: glz_custom_fields

mrdale wrote:

I and others are happy to pay for use and further development of this plugin.

yup, and it’s a bargain aswell!

#110 2008-01-30 23:30:58

masa

Gocom wrote:

yep, i also love gerhard’s work on this as this is great plugin from what i have heard. One of a kind things :)

I take it you haven’t purchased it?

Why bother to comment here then?

#111 2008-01-30 23:58:12

hakjoon
Website

Easily worth every penny. You are doing yourself a disservice now having this plugin.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#112 2008-01-31 01:22:45

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

mrdale wrote:

I’m a little concerned here that Gerhard’s excellent work is getting overshadowed by the dreaded licensing and distribution discussion.

Agreed. It’s unfortunate when the concept of “Free software” devolves into a “gimme gimme” mentality, but it happens all too often. As Ruud suggested by reference to zem_redirect, the GPL allows redistribution but common courtesy should dissuade people from posting up the whole thing.

If Gerhard finds that his work obligations eventually keep him from maintaining this plugin, an open source license will ensure it doesn’t die. Meanwhile, the same license ensures that users can patch their way around temporary problems and share those fixes with others. This approach seems like the best compromise to both reward Gerhard’s efforts and enjoy the freedom of open source.

mrdale (cont.):

Nevertheless, if it stops working on my installs, I need it fixed, and someone helps me fix it before an official next release, I think that’s OK, right?

Sure is. Possible approaches to sharing these fixes on the forum include providing diffs or posting code blocks that only contain the changed code. I took the latter approach, since not everyone knows what a diff is or how to use it.

ruud wrote:

If he’s using a GPL license (modified BSD is possible as well, as are several other licenses)…

This piqued my curiosity, since I’ve released all my plugins to date under the BSD license. When you say “modified BSD,” are you referring to the three-clause variant without the old advertising clause? As I understand it the advertising clause was the cause of GPL incompatibility, and the current license is compatible. Right?

masa wrote:

Gocom wrote:

“yep, i also love gerhard’s work on this as this is great plugin from what i have heard. One of a kind things :)”

I take it you haven’t purchased it?

Why bother to comment here then?

Anyone familiar with Txp custom fields can tell by the buzz surrounding this plugin that it’s something special. There’s no need to jump on somebody’s case for simply recognizing that fact.

The friendly and helpful forum community is one of the best things about Textpattern. Let’s please try to keep this discussion civil, informative, and focused.

#113 2008-01-31 05:51:09

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Guys, you support is amazing, thank you for every kind word. I am simply overwhelmed at the minute by everything that is happening on my end, but promise I have some good stuff coming out. If it wasn’t for the immense workload at work and the on-the-side projects which are currently squeezing my bits like nothing else, 1.1 would have been out, 1.2 would also have been out.

Just to give you an insight as to what has been happening with the plugin, in the few 5AM mornings that I had for myself (most of them were for on-the-side work), I’ve almost reached 1.1, there is sooooo little to go, it’s frustratingly close!!!

I also have something quiet impressive happening on top of this plugin, it will be a free release for everyone. It basically enables everyone using TXP to have a website as the main place where articles are being written/kept and just syncs content to as many locations as one wants/needs. Provide it with remote DB details and you’re off, you can sync articles between websites. It’s still at a very very young stage, but this has maybe even more potential than glz_custom_fields. Imagine you, as a developer, being able to maintain websites for ALL your clients from a single location! Obviously, because it’s content syncing, they can edit, add, replace content as they see fit, it will simply sync back (exists only as a feature for the time being). Also, think about having an offline version of a website, when getting online simply pushing content up… Possibilities are endless, as I said, this is just the beginning of a unique feature among CMSes as far as I know. I’m already using the plugin successfully across 3 websites at work, it will be quiet interesting to see how it evolves.

Right guys, I must get on with stuff, but I will take a few hours in the weekend to go through all the extra pages on this thread and reply where appropriate, not only skim through. That will be a looooog reply : ).

Cheers once again for your support, you have really surprised me fellas!

#114 2008-01-31 06:31:31

mrdale
Website

Gerhard: right on time. I have a sit ebuild coming up in which there are actually two sites that will need to share a portion of their content.

-Perfect!

#115 2008-01-31 07:03:46

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Ruud, I took 5 minutes to read your posts (heck, I couldn’t focus on my other code, my mind was still buzzing with that unanswered question related to licenses), could you please limit your paste on pastebin to only the part that actually requires modifying to work with 4.0.6?

As you can imagine, having pasted the entire plugin – also the latest, 1.1 version which I haven’t even released to the people that have paid for it, only to the ones that needed some of the features beforehand – cannot be a reason for joy. A public post of the entire pre-code for 1.1 has preempted the release of 1.1, but also everyone can get it for free and that I don’t think that’s cool.

I have never taken into account licenses for this plugin, so I don’t really know which one would best suit my case (I would have to look into it), but I would like a license that would imply the whole code won’t get posted publicly willy nilly. I mean, for that 1 line that required changing, posting only the code in the if() would have been way more appropriate in my opinion. And if I remember right, I would have never ever asked yourself or other people which are behind TXP to pay for this plugin, I have given it away because you are TXP family, didn’t I? There was 1 case when I even refunded the money to one of the guys because he’s done so much for the TXP community, it just didn’t feel right having him pay for my plugin.

#116 2008-01-31 08:23:18

sthmtc
Website

gerhard wrote:

It basically enables everyone using TXP to have a website as the main place where articles are being written/kept and just syncs content to as many locations as one wants/needs. Provide it with remote DB details and you’re off, you can sync articles between websites.

holy shi- — this sounds amazing!
also: will the new version of glz_custom_fields work together with sed_section_fields to hide custom fields on a per-section basis?

#117 2008-01-31 08:26:25

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Yes Sven, it’s already fixed, I’ve been working with Steve on sed_section_fields, he’s also holding off the new release until I come out with 1.1.

#118 2008-01-31 08:29:28

sthmtc
Website

gerhard wrote:

Yes Sven, it’s already fixed, I’ve been working with Steve on sed_section_fields, he’s also holding off the new release until I come out with 1.1.

awesome, this comes in just in time!

Last edited by sthmtc (2008-01-31 08:29:50)

#119 2008-01-31 08:35:30

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Gerhard, I can’t remove it from pastebin, so it seems, but I have reported my own post as spam, hoping they’ll remove it.

#120 2008-01-31 08:36:52

gerhard
Plugin Author
Website

Thank you Ruud, much appreciated.

Manfre?

Board footer