Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#349 2008-06-18 09:04:09

gluteus

Re: zem_contact_reborn 4.0.3.20

Are there any known conflicts with other plugins? With ZCR activated, my page isn’t showing anything! Deactivated everything works fine.

My other plugins are:
fpx_image_import Dirk Steins 0.4
rdt_dynamenus Richard Tietjen 0.9
rss_unlimited_categories Rob Sable 0.7.4
smd_gallery Stef Dawson 0.4
stm_article_order Stanislav Müller 0.2
upm_image Mary Fredborg 0.6.1
upm_img_popper Mary Fredborg 1.3.7
zem_contact_lang-de TXP Community 4.0.3.6
zem_contact_reborn TXP Community 4.0.3.20

Thank you

dave

#350 2008-06-18 09:17:36

uli

gluteus, if you have a suspicion for conflicting plugins try wet_plugout It’s especially made for conflict testing.

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#351 2008-06-20 00:11:57

karl.dvx
Website

I’m using the ‘send to a friend’ email of this plugin on my articles.
When I do a search in Google on my site to see which pages are indexed or check some keywords I rank for I see some articles are indexed like: site.com/article-title?​zem_contact_send_article=yes

I also see visitors coming to my site in Google by the “?​zem_contact_send_article=yes” after the article url.
Before somebody can send an article, the visitor has to click on “send to a friend”, when he does this he is redirected to the same page but with the “?​zem_contact_send_article=yes” part after it.
This is causing a lot of duplicate content and crawling and ranking pages twice and people coming in from Google by the send to friend url.

So, is there any way to rel=“nofollow” this send article link? So Google won’t index it.
Or even better, is it possible to directly send the article (filling in the email adress from the first time in stead of first having to click on “send to a friend”).
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by karl.dvx (2008-06-20 00:13:39)

#352 2008-06-20 10:27:12

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Hmm.. not a bad idea.
You can probably do this right now by creating the link manually.
Circumventing the ‘send to a friend’ link and showing the form directly is also possible, but requires hacking the plugin code a bit.

#353 2008-06-20 10:39:20

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

All three major search engines (GYM) support robots exclusion based on URL patterns, so you might as well get rid of those indexed pages / DC by creating a /robots.txt with this content:

User-agent: *
Disallow: /*?zem_contact_send_article=yes$

#354 2008-06-20 14:32:33

maniqui
Website

Hello.
A suggestion/request I have been thinking for a while:

currently, zem_contact_reborn outputs a markup that I would say it’s a little “intrusive”, in my humble opinion.
Example (if label="" on <txp:zem_contact />):

<form action="" class="zemContactForm" id="" method="post">
<div>
<input type="hidden" value="" name="zem_contact_nonce" />
<input type="hidden" value="" name="zem_contact_form_id" />

... here goes the output of zem_contact tags (usually, a pair of label/control). Form controls must be wrapped (each one or all of them) by a block (div, fieldset, p, etc) element to validate.

</div>
</form>

So, that first <div> (wrapping the whole inner HTML) after <form> is what I consider is getting in the middle, because it is wrapping everything inside the form and not just the hidden inputs.
I know, it is there to wrap both the hidden <inputs /> and the output of every zem_contact tag, and so, the HTML won’t invalidate.

The markup would be more-flexible/less-intrusive if that <div> just wraps the hidden inputs. Then, the rest of the form (the zem_contact tags output) are wrapped on whatever the designer/developer decides to wrap it.
In other words, it would be better (IMHO) if the <div> hidden zem_contact inputs</div> is appended/prepended (so, it’s becomes just a sibling, not a parent) somewhere in the form, and then leave the rest of the markup to the designer (who should take care of not invalidating the markup).

An example:

<form action="..." class="zemContactForm" id="zcr..." method="post">
    <div class="zemHiddenInputs">
        <input type="hidden" value="..." name="zem_contact_nonce"/>
        <input type="hidden" value="..." name="zem_contact_form_id"/>
    </div>
    <div class="form-item text">
        <label class="zemText" ... >Name</label> <input type="text" ... />
    </div>
    <div class="form-item text">
        <label class="zemText " ...>Email</label> <input type="text" .../>
    </div>
    <div class="form-actions">
         <input type="submit" value="Enviar" name="zem_contact_submit" class="zemSubmit"/>
    </div>
</form> 

In that example, I (as I’m the one coding the form) have take care of wrapping each zem_contact tag on a <div class="form-item"> to make the form markup to validate.

Ops, I gotta go now, but I will come back later and post again, if something isn’t clear.
(sorry about my english once again)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#355 2008-06-20 16:45:31

karl.dvx
Website

ruud wrote:

Hmm.. not a bad idea.
Circumventing the ‘send to a friend’ link and showing the form directly is also possible, but requires hacking the plugin code a bit.

Hi Ruud,

Any idea or tips on how I could make the e-mail form and submit button show up from the first time? I looked in the code and changed some parts that looked obvious to me but it didn’t do anything (I’m no developer, no PHP knowledge). Would be awesome to directly have an email form and submit button (and not being redirected afterwards).

Wet, I also tought about that, but after you fill in an email adress and submit you are being redirected to another (unique) url with a confirmation. But since short GoogleBot fills in forms and, if finding it useful, indexes the page after you submit (article has been sent – thank you page) ( http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/04/crawling-through-html-forms.html )

#356 2008-06-20 16:46:53

karl.dvx
Website

ruud wrote:

Hmm.. not a bad idea.

Hi Ruud,

Any idea or tips on how I could make the e-mail form and submit button show up from the first time? I looked in the code and changed some parts that looked obvious to me but it didn’t do anything (I’m no developer, no PHP knowledge). Would be awesome to directly have an email form and submit button (and not being redirected afterwards, or being redirected to a page you can enter yourself, as in the contact part of this plugin).

Wet, I also tought about that, but after you fill in an email adress and submit you are being redirected to another (unique) url with a confirmation. But since short GoogleBot fills in forms and, if finding it useful, indexes the page after you submit (article has been sent – thank you page) ( http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/04/crawling-through-html-forms.html )

#357 2008-06-20 17:53:02

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Julián, that would create invalid HTML code for people who upgrade the plugin.

#358 2008-06-20 18:06:10

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Karl, change this line:

if ($show_input and !$send_article or gps('zem_contact_send_article'))

into:

if ($show_input)

#359 2008-06-20 18:58:14

maniqui
Website

ruud, thanks for your reply.

Yes, that’s true, I thought about that point.

Any chance to implement it without breaking on upgrade? (as an attribute or attribute + tag)

As an attribute:
default output = current (4.0.3.20) output.
new-attribute triggered output = remove the “wrap-them-all” div and just wrap the hidden inputs with a div class="zemHiddenInputs" (and append it somewhere inside the form).

As an attribute + new tag:
again, default output = current (4.0.3.20) output.
new-attribute triggered output = remove the div and the hidden inputs.
new tag = zem_contact_hidden (add the needed ZCR hidden fields wherever the developer puts that tag).

FYI: there isn’t a great problem with current output. It’s is just some unconvenient “problems”: this “wrap-them-all” div has no class nor ID, and “it’s in the middle” (sorry, my 20 word english isn’t enought to explain).

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#360 2008-06-20 19:00:32

karl.dvx
Website

ruud wrote:

Karl, change this line:

if ($show_input and !$send_article or gps('zem_contact_send_article'))

into:

if ($show_input)

Nice, it works, thank you very much!
Hup Holland Hup :-)

Board footer