Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#21 2008-12-16 22:17:55

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Re: TXP Minima

jstubbs wrote:

Would it be better to ask users to start with a clean install?

Having used hcg_templates since at least August my opinion is that it’s less confusing if it’s a clean install but it still works with a fully loaded install.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#22 2008-12-16 22:19:18

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

There’s no reason to start with a clean install, as long as you name your pages, forms and css with unique names. You wouldn’t want to trash their default install, just in case they want to revert to it.

I guess for me it’s been easy to get my head around templates, since I arrived at Textpattern from other systems that allowed you to import templates. The Textpattern concept is that you have one install and you massage it’s look and feel accordingly, it’s akin to a notebook, where you write in it’s pages, as opposed to notepad, where you can open up anything you care to.

#23 2008-12-16 22:21:20

jstubbs
Website

I think what interests me here is a methodology for releasing templates. If the opinion is that it is best to go with hcg_templates, I am all in, but it would be preferable to have a method that would work for first time and experienced users alike.

#24 2008-12-16 22:25:29

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

I think it works for both. Some templates need certain section settings which aren’t handled by hcg_templates (right?)

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#25 2008-12-16 22:37:03

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

What’s funny is that I ported the Blogger Minima skin for Nucleus CMS. Back when I started the Nucleus skins site, we had about 20 skins, now look at the amount of contributed looks they now possess.

I think one of the things that has held back the adoption of Textpattern is the complexity of changing the look and feel. Imagine if the users at Worpress.com were given a readme file with copy/paste instructions?

#26 2008-12-16 22:46:23

jstubbs
Website

I posted a new thread on the topic of template package distribution. Can we take up this interesting conversation there.

#27 2009-01-28 22:13:18

jnhuval
Website

I’ve checked Textpattern Resources for hcg_templates and nothing’s listed in the search results. Is this plugin still supported? What’s the latest version and where is the plugin documentation and links to the code? I’ve got version .3 and want to check for an update. Thanks for your help.

#28 2009-01-28 22:32:17

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Here is the forum thread.
There is also more information on Bert’s Website

My Plugins

#29 2009-01-29 15:54:45

jnhuval
Website

MattD wrote:

Here is the forum thread.
There is also more information on Bert’s Website

Thanks!

#30 2009-02-09 00:40:58

thatalisongirl

Hi all – Firstly I just want to say that I love this template. I am pretty much a complete CSS newbie but I am finding the cleanness of the template extremely easy for me to use it, and so helpful in getting a better grip on the code and how it works.

I’m currently working on a website at thatalisongirl.net and all is going well, but I am hoping to decrease the width percentage of the article text, so there’s more empty space around the top, left and right sides – I just feel it’s a bit too cramped at the moment. I’m having difficulty working out what I need to amend in order to do this. If I increase the margins under #content, I end up kicking off the #subcontent to further down the page. If I increase the padding, the right-hand border line moves down with the text, becoming unattached from the line below the navigation bar. I’ve tried putting tables with 90% width around the article-related forms (which is probably a big no-no, but that’s how my prehistoric my code knowledge is!) to no avail. I’m sure this is a really basic question but I really have no idea

If anyone could make a suggestion, that’d be great.

Thanks so much in advance,

Alison

Board footer