Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2007-07-13 19:30:28

dbulli
Website

Re: Feedback on Textpattern 4.0.5 release

Logoleptic wrote:

How this works was explained earlier in the thread.

Then that’s lame … how does this differ than before (for logo) …

nuff-respec ::: dannyb

#50 2007-07-13 19:58:42

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

dbulli wrote:

Then that’s lame … how does this differ than before (for logo) …

The markup of the masthead makes certain things easier than before. If you don’t like the way it’s been done, then maybe you should volunteer your time — for free — to find a better solution that doesn’t break any plugins or cause any compatibility problems.

The developers have already said that maintaining compatibility and stability is more important for them in the 4.0.x branch than making significant changes. Many Textpattern users, like myself, appreciate this approach. I may not always get everything I want out of a new release, but I can be pretty sure that nothing will usually break. This saves me time, and it saves my clients money on site maintenance.

#51 2007-07-13 20:38:55

dbulli
Website

Logoleptic wrote:

If you don’t like the way it’s been done, then maybe you should volunteer your time — for free — to find a better solution that doesn’t break any plugins or cause any compatibility problems.

Logoleptic, you are being a little too sensitive … I am not saying it’s not appreciated … and probably everyone on the development team is way smarter than me…

but

TO say that a part of the release (changes since 4.0.4)

• Support back end branding: customizable logo and color bar

Is superbly misleading … you could always switch the logo … DUH … how is that a change ? One easy way to achieve “customizable” is to use the “images” database to upload an image that you could change through the interface… make it so it can’t be deletable … the divider has that issue already that it can be deleted …

And to say the color bar is also customizable… you could have always open up txplip_head.php and change the “FFCC33” on line #:167 … it’s messing with the code base yes … but when you upgrade … you have to remake the change in the textpattern.css file or txplip_head.php file … big WHOOP … Maybe a simple way to achieve “customizability” for admin interface have an extra css file bedsides default… and let’s call it “admin” … and that’s where you would override the #branding color … from *textpattern.css”

There you go … to super simple ways to make it customizable that wouldn’t break anything …

You fail realize that I use textpattern and i love it … and i provide help where i know and i can help… they have done a great job … there is NO denying that … but i don’t take things for granted without first validating the merit of things … it really is silly to call this item out in the release notes …

Last edited by dbulli (2007-07-13 20:46:32)

#52 2007-07-14 00:57:18

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

You have some legitimate frustrations and make some good suggestions, Daniel. My issue with your earlier post wasn’t that you found something about Textpattern problematic (we all do, sometimes) but the way you expressed it. There’s miles of difference between “that’s lame” and concrete suggestions for how to make things better.

If you have further ideas for Textpattern improvements, I’d encourage you to post them in the Feature Ideas forum (read this first).

#53 2007-07-14 02:13:11

dbulli
Website

I didn’t mean to jump on you, but i had to come to my defense … I really never thought of “customize admin interface” to make it a feature request … but my problem isn’t feature as much as to call it a feature … when it really is not… textpattern has been blamed for no direction or stated goals … i like it and i want it to live on … but they seem like they are really trying to impress with a list of changes … to make it appear like they have done quite a bit .. and they have … this is the one i got really excited about and was really sad that it wasn’t what it meant to be …

anyway let’s leave it at that … this is all good discussion though ;) …

#54 2007-07-15 18:34:19

lozmatic
Website

A couple of questions…

“Simply replace the two files in your main installation directory (index.php and .htaccess) and everything in your /textpattern/ directory (except config.php) with the corresponding files in this distribution.”

Do I need to replace files that are in directories under /textpattern/ too (eg. include, lang, lib, etc…)

Is the best strategy to upload all files in a separate directory (eg: /textpattern_upgrade), rename the old textpattern directory and then rename /textpattern_upgrade to textpattern? And then upload the 2 files at the root?

Loz

#55 2007-07-15 18:37:25

dbulli
Website

Yes everything in the /textpattern/ directory … uploading all the files to an upgrade and renaming is probably the safest …

#56 2007-07-16 06:40:45

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

lozmatic wrote:

Is the best strategy to upload all files in a separate directory (eg: /textpattern_upgrade), rename the old textpattern directory and then rename /textpattern_upgrade to textpattern? And then upload the 2 files at the root?

Yes this is the best method, except… remember to upload the old config.php file in the “textpattern_upgrade” directory.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#57 2007-07-16 08:13:14

NickML
Website

All gone well for me…except I think there may be two Safari-related bugs.

1. In the backend comments list, checking “show-spam” in Safari 2.x reloads the page, but the spam still isn’t shown. No such issue in Firefox 2.0/Mac, so suspect it’s browser specific.

2. In the backend branding, the dark yellow band at the top of the page doesn’t appear in Safari, only the logo. Again, it looks fine in Firefox 2.0/Mac so I suspect it’s just a css glitch. I’ll have a look myself at that later.

Otherwise – some nice touches in 4.0.5, like the comment status in the emailed notification. Well done.

~Nick

#58 2007-07-16 08:38:58

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Did you also force refresh or clear the cache for the backend?

On safari 1.3.2 no such bug…

Last edited by colak (2007-07-16 08:40:45)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#59 2007-07-16 08:42:26

NickML
Website

colak wrote:

Did you also force refresh or clear the cache for the backend?

Damn, I’m daft. That fixed both. Thanks, Colak.

~Nick

#60 2007-07-24 20:54:33

mwillse
Website

Great release! Big thanks to everyone for all your work. And thanks for the addition of <txp:hide />.

Board footer