Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2007-06-27 18:53:57

Christopher
Website

Re: Feedback to: Help us test the release candidate for the upcoming 4.0.5

Sencer wrote:

Are oyu using a bookmarklet to add links? It’s more likely that the value was entered “escaped” in the backend. Can you check again? What happens when you open to edit the link, and save it again, then view the page?

Nope, just cut and paste, so it wasn’t pre-escaped. And when I edited the link and save, I still get the same result.

#50 2007-06-27 19:01:43

Christopher
Website

wet wrote:

This still works for me. I’d need more details.

First, although I do not think that this is related, please close your txp:if_individual_article tag properly.

Second, it would be interesting what’s the contents of the database for this particular link. If you are able please post the results of this SQL command here (do you know how to use phpMyAdmin?)

SELECT * from txp_link WHERE description like '%big deal too%'

Hmm, I’m beginning to think it may be me…

The "txp:if_individual_article tag tag issue has been removed (stray tag from a previous change to a template).

And from phpMyAdmin I get this:

-- 
-- Dumping data for table `txp_link`
-- 

INSERT INTO `txp_link` VALUES (199, '2007-06-26 15:59:46', 'Apple', 'http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/26plans.html', 'AT&T and Apple Announce Simple, Affordable Service Plans for iPhone', 'http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/26plans.html', 'Yeah, this is a big deal too: simple and easy-to-choose plans. I hope my current carrier, Telus, is paying attention to this. Choosing a plan with them was painful and complicated. Regardless of how well the iPhone does, I hope the improved customer experience that Apple is providing catches on throughout the industry.');

#51 2007-06-27 19:19:05

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

This all looks perfectly right.

Next step:

Please replace your link form with this one (temporarily – its results are ugly)

<txp:php>
global $thislink;
echo '-';
dmp($thislink['linkname']);
dmp(escape_output($thislink['linkname']));
</txp:php>

Post the resulting output for one of the links containing the ampersand.

EDIT: I just noticed that the links display ok here. Where’s the difference?

Last edited by wet (2007-06-27 19:25:23)

#52 2007-06-27 20:18:53

Christopher
Website

OK, I replaced the Links form as requested and I get this:

-<pre>
Apple and AT&amp;#38;T Announce iTunes Activation and Sync for iPhone
</pre>
<pre>
Apple and AT&amp;#38;#38;T Announce iTunes Activation and Sync for iPhone
</pre>

The Links page is displayed using the tfu_linklog plugin and it uses a separate form (link_log) which has this:

<dt><a href="<txp:tfu_linkurl />"><txp:tfu_linkname /></a> <span class="ldate">– <txp:tfu_linkdate /></span></dt>

<dd><p><txp:tfu_linkdescription /></p></dd>

#53 2007-06-27 20:45:14

sthmtc
Website

the changes on the way table sorting works in list views are welcome, would it be possible to set a cookie (? or something like that) so that the chosen sorting method persists even when the user is switching back and forth between different sections in the backend? this would be very useful for quite a few projects i’ve recently worked on.

#54 2007-06-27 21:21:54

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Christopher wrote:

-<pre>
Apple and AT&amp;#38;T Announce iTunes Activation and Sync for iPhone
</pre>
<pre>
Apple and AT&amp;#38;#38;T Announce iTunes Activation and Sync for iPhone
</pre>

This is what the HTML source shows, not as it appears on screen, right?
Could this be related to the preference “Textile link descriptions by default?” that is set to “yes”?
Even though that preference talks about just the descriptions, it also textiles the linkname (in txp_link.php) and that conflicts with the use of escape_output in the tpt_link function (taghandlers) which causes the double escaping of the ampersand.
I’m not sure if the linkname should be textiled at all, but if it is and if it needs escaping, then escape_title should be used instead of escape_output. This escaping method would have to depend on the preference setting that determines if the linkname is textiled or not (ugly!), because if it’s not textiled, then escape_output would have been 100% correct… but looking at tpt_link, I wonder whether it should be escaped at all when textiled, because then all the markup would be escaped as well. So I think it should not be escaped when textiled and escaped using escape_output when not textiled.

Last edited by ruud (2007-06-27 21:30:33)

#55 2007-06-27 21:29:09

FireFusion

sthmtc wrote:

the changes on the way table sorting works in list views are welcome, would it be possible to set a cookie (? or something like that) so that the chosen sorting method persists even when the user is switching back and forth between different sections in the backend? this would be very useful for quite a few projects i’ve recently worked on.

I second that request

#56 2007-06-27 21:31:23

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

When testing a release candidate, adding new features is not really part of the plan ;)

#57 2007-06-27 22:34:55

Logoleptic
Plugin Author

ruud said…

When testing a release candidate, adding new features is not really part of the plan ;)

And I second that. ;-)

I don’t have any spare time for testing right now, but I did want to pop in and say “thanks” to everyone involved — both developers and testers. Your continuing efforts to make Textpattern better are always appreciated.

#58 2007-06-27 23:35:30

Christopher
Website

ruud wrote:

This is what the HTML source shows, not as it appears on screen, right?

Yes, that’s correct.

ruud wrote:

Could this be related to the preference “Textile link descriptions by default?” that is set to “yes”?

Yep, it’s set to “Yes”

ruud wrote:

Even though that preference talks about just the descriptions, it also textiles the linkname (in txp_link.php) and that conflicts with the use of escape_output in the tpt_link function (taghandlers) which causes the double escaping of the ampersand.

So, er, it’s a bug then and no me? :-)

Last edited by Christopher (2007-06-27 23:46:39)

#59 2007-06-28 10:49:54

FireFusion

ruud wrote:

Oh well, was worth try ;-D

#60 2007-06-28 18:01:27

anoke
Archived Plugin Author

nothing RC spesific but noted while installing

• the installation “proceed to config” link isn’t absolute but relative.. I typoed first url, clicked twice and found myself at “textpattenr/textpattern/setup/textpattern/setup/”
  • “Before you proceed, create a file called config.php in the /textpattern/ directory..” Could that be “create file /the/full/path/to/textpattern/config.php”. It’s nothing big but if Your First TxP is placed under /textpattern, the correct location isn’t that obvious.
  • the redirect to language update was a bit of surprise. (“it just said I’m done with the installation! why I have to update something!”)

Btw, who/where/how one updates those on-line help pop-ups? Some are empty.

- When chickens are cold, they roost in trees; when ducks are cold, they plunge into water -

Board footer