1. Index
  2. » Core development
  3. » [feedback] Developers pay

#73 2007-04-30 15:58:12

Jeremie
Website

Re: [feedback] Developers pay

jason wrote:

Now Dean has done more then fine and will continue doing so from my estimates. All the initial VC200 payments went directly to Dean, and then I “professionalized” that “project” by forming an C-corp (“TextDrive Inc”) and functioning as it’s COO, and despite having enough for servers (no salaries or anything like that) for a couple of months, we’re still around 3 years later and there’s 18 full-time salaried people. Payments from textdrive for the textpattern project have always gone to the French company that Dean operates through and that “owns” the project (this is a business paying a business).

Ok, so we know our money went to TXP, and that’s good. Only at some point it should have been shifted from one TXP entity to another and it didn’t; but it seems to be nobody’s fault.

Now if the current and active development team thinks they’re doing a lot of work on the project, and it’s apparently for not a fair share of whatever pie, then I imagine I can either fix some aspect of that or figure out a way that they can begin to

As they’ve already stated, they don’t think that. But I (and it seems, many many others in a similar position) as a TXP user and a TXD customer, do think so. And I’m glad to see some reaction from you on this topic.

but someone needs to actually let me know.

I’m sure they will now :)

#74 2007-04-30 16:19:11

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

Seconding colak on Dean hardly being an evangelist when it comes to TxP. He pretty much disappeared from these forums quite early after releasing Textpattern into the wild. There would be silence from the dev side for months, then a new release announcement, and then more silence. Things managed just fine mind you without having some “evangelizing” the TxP product.

I think people expect too much of the core developers. When I bump into some limitation in Textpattern I usually try and code around it myself. Now, not everyone is a programmer, but this forum is filled with people that have answered calls for plugin development, etc. I think most of the plugins I’ve written were for other people. The MT import script I wrote was for someone on this forum. I never actually had to use it. We don’t need to wiegh down 6 people with everything, when we have a forum with hundreds of active users.

#75 2007-04-30 16:23:45

alexandra

hakjoon schrieb:

What happened to Textpattern Pro and Bannister? I thought they were supposed to address this.

I would like to know too.

Now that means that some people now get for free what other payed for…

hakjoon, have you followed the WordPress development? Right now you get all and even more from WP compared to TXP plus Askimet. Yesterday morning (for 4 hours) i went thru TXP Linklists on TXP Mag and sorted those out which are not TXP driven anymore. 1 out of 3 moved to WP – sorry to say that but this is the truth. Look at this guys portfolio. A year back the situation was completely different. Lots of TXp driven sites. Now WP.

Lately i was involved into a Joomla project. Incredible what you can get from Joomla…paypal integration, micropayment… blogs etc…etc… and all for free!

This morning i was over at the ModX forum. I notice 4 times more users on their forum then on the TXP forum. Here in my country many more people know ModX than TXP. And that is incredible as there is hardly any documentation in german.

The TXP world is very, vey small. The idea people buy something for TXP projects is far out for me. There are too many other CMS out there in the wild net you get for free.

#76 2007-04-30 16:42:18

Neko

alexandra wrote:

The TXP world is very, vey small. The idea people buy something for TXP projects is far out for me. There are too many other CMS out there in the wild net you get for free.

True. But I’d like to stick to TXP, not only ‘cause I like it and like here, but also because by now, after three years, I’m a kind of “pro” TXP user :) and switching to something else and new to me means that I’ll have to start from the scratch, learning all the way up here.

Zem says, hire us, pay for the next long-awaited feature and then we will release said feature into the next TXP core. That makes sense. Problem is I don’t have the means to pay 5,000 X,000 USD for a TXP based e-commerce solution or multi-language solution or multiple-categories or anything else. I can pay 500. Anyone want to share with me the development costs? If so, hook me up and we’ll talk to Zem. Otherwise I stand for my idea of a “pro” version. /ducks for cover

Last edited by Neko (2007-04-30 17:25:26)

#77 2007-04-30 16:51:09

alexandra

Well Neko, the trouble is a handfull of people willing to pay one time is not enough … you constantly have to attract new users. As soon as they read: you have to pay for it, the turn to WP or whatever .. and WP f. e. is deadeasy to setup and use.

#78 2007-04-30 16:57:03

goncalo.dumas
Website

Neko wrote:
bq. True. But I’d like to stick to TXP, not only ‘cause I like it and like here, but also because by now, after three years, I’m a kind of “pro” TXP user :) and switching to something else and new to me means that I’ll have to start from the scratch, learning all the way up here.

From time to time my curiosity leads me to try other blog/cms applications – being symphony the latest, but I always end up returning to textpattern.

#79 2007-04-30 17:02:13

Jeremie
Website

I strongly reject the idea of a commercial, not open source, “pro” version. If this pro version should stay open-source, well myself I have nothing against it, but I’m not sure it’s a good move overall.

However, I’ve participated in several plugin ransom and in Alex’s pro member program with eagerness. But the limit of plugin ransom (and plugin pay) is tied to the plugin status: it’s not safe in the long run, it can cause someone to delay a TXP upgrade (and it definitely shouldn’t). Maybe part of the plugin money could be saved to support a core integration of the plugin, once it has been fully tested by the community (and of course, if’s something that belong to the core)?

#80 2007-04-30 17:10:08

alexandra

patchwork schrieb:

From time to time my curiosity leads me to try other blog/cms applications – being symphony the latest, but I always end up returning to textpattern.

You are familiar with the system…. newbies don´t care. You did return not turn to TXP. Okay people of course turn to TXP but how many turn to WP/Joomla/ModX daily? I have stats in mind …

#81 2007-04-30 18:30:28

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Due to the unfortunate title zero has used in the txd forum regarding open source funding the thread is disintegrating into jokes and sarcasm. I have started a new thread here which will hopefully emphasise the seriousness of our questions regarding the txd pledge.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#82 2007-04-30 19:03:16

mamash
Website

hcgtv wrote:

colak, Noel works for Joyent, I’d like to hear from the other projects before I lay this to bed.

Noel does not work for Joyent in any way. He’s an open source developer and is a customer of Joyent.

Who’s gonna textdrive you home tonight?

#83 2007-04-30 19:15:15

alexandra

@colak, make sure the links on txd thread are correct.. i just ended up in nirwana… ups perhaps a server issue again…

#84 2007-04-30 20:22:19

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

mamash wrote:

Noel does not work for Joyent in any way. He’s an open source developer and is a customer of Joyent.

Would you believe that I was mis-informed?

1. Index
  2. » Core development
  3. » [feedback] Developers pay

Board footer