Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2004-07-16 16:34:09

Remillard
Plugin Author

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] akw_archive: Date-based archive list

Alright, I’m trying to implement this, and perhaps I’m missing something. I’ll try to describe my setup and maybe that’s why I’m having difficulty.

I have three sections. One is set to display on the front page. The other two are not. They all use the default page template. For discussion purposes they are: article, pics, and sitenews.

On the front page, on first loading, I display 5 articles from the ‘articles’ section. Title, Body, etc. I have at the top of the page a couple of links to the other sections. When those are clicked, it loads the front/default page and displays 5 articles from those.

So far, so good. This part works well.

I would like to also have an archive page, perhaps a single page with a combined archive of all three sections. I can handle an archive page for each as well if that’s how the plugin works.

I cannot figure out how to make the txp:akw_archive tag work exactly like the txp:article tag in the ‘usual’ context, where it displays the title/body/comment as usual. And then I’m not certain how to make it switch to archive mode where it displays a year, month, and then a breakdown of day and title.

The only thing I’ve been able to come up with is to create copies of the default page for each of the three sections. In those copies, replace txp:article with txp:akw_archive and then each section’s default display will be the archived by date breakdown. This actually works alright for the sitenews page, but for the pics I would still like to be able to display 5 full articles in that section, and then be able to switch to a date based archive.

Does anyone have any ideas how I might be able to set this up, or if it’s even possible with this plugin?

Thanks,
Remillard

#14 2004-07-16 17:28:31

Daragh
Website

This is working well for me, with one critical problem. Would it be possible to have the option to let txp:akw_doArchiveArticles output the full item rather than just the excerpt?

Last edited by Daragh (2004-07-16 17:29:29)

#15 2004-07-21 22:51:41

thekolonel
Archived Plugin Author
Website

> Daragh wrote:

> This is working well for me, with one critical problem. Would it be possible to have the option to let txp:akw_doArchiveArticles output the full item rather than just the excerpt?

I’ll take a look at adding that back in. When I wrote the plugin I was concerned about performance on large archive pages.

#16 2004-07-22 10:02:18

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Hi thekolonel,

When develpoing can you switch error_reporting to E_ALL. I have quiet a few Notices that popup, especially for the optional parameters (when they are not used):

Undefined variable: headwrapclass
Undefined variable: yearprefix
Undefined variable: monthprefix
Undefined variable: dayprefix
Undefined variable: override_form
Undefined variable: lastmonthyear
Undefined variable: init
Undefined variable: wraptag
Undefined variable: endwrap
Uninitialized string offset: 0
Undefined variable: override_form

Last edited by Sencer (2004-07-22 10:02:55)

#17 2004-07-22 14:08:05

tkn
Website

Thanks for the great plugin, however, one small bug report is that it doesn’t seem to correctly handle Japanese. If you go here and click on the Japanese title it returns nothing, although the rest of the page works well.

#18 2004-07-29 14:03:37

Buddy Bradley
Website

I’ve got this working fine on my site, using akw_nested_month_list.

What I’d really like to do is also list each entry’s title as another level under the month list-item – is this possible, or is there another plugin that does this?

It would also be great if it indicated the number of entries present in each month.

Last edited by Buddy Bradley (2004-07-29 14:04:09)

#19 2004-07-31 04:37:40

mattrobs

Hello. Is there a way to make a seperate page which displays archives from selected pages?

I don’t want to put the archives on the same page as the posts — too crowded. I’d rather have a link to a seperate page.

#20 2004-08-01 16:39:38

Remillard
Plugin Author

This is sort of what I was looking for, but without a way to specify section, there’s really only one way I can see to make this happen and it has some drawbacks.

1) Put your articles to show on the front page.
2) Make your article page different, and this is where you use the archive plugin.

Now, the two drawbacks I see are:
1) If your front page is not used for displaying posts, this will not work (at least without workarounds, you could make the TXP front page be the next page in the hierarchy, but well, you get the idea, it requires tinkering.
2) You have a separate archive for every section in your site. You will not be able to have one page that displays archives from all sections.

Maybe these aren’t drawbacks… call them caveats. It’s quite possible to make these work for you too.

Regards,
Remillard

#21 2004-08-03 19:26:10

davor
Website

I really like how the archive looks on your page and would like to achieve the same thing, but as I’m new to TXP I need some help:

1. What do you put in your journal page so that when the URL is site.com/journal/ you get the archive listing but when you click on the title you get just the article (I guess you are using some conditional tags?)
  1. could you post definition of the required forms so that your code can work?

Thanks

#22 2004-10-03 03:33:52

doogxela
Website

I, along with several other people it seems, am having trouble understanding how this plugin works. Could anyone that has gotten it to work post a step by step guide to setting this up?

#23 2004-10-15 20:44:39

gonzo409
Website

I don’t know PHP, or else I’d do this myself…

But, is there anyway we can add a “section” attribute to this plugin? It’d be great if we could have this tag pull articles from a specific section instead of the one the tag is residing in.

Liberal. Geek.

Board footer