Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2007-02-06 01:46:11

WebKat

Re: TXPhorum: A simple forum solution for Textpattern

Well it’s a test copy of my mom’s site which has no posts in it right now, and so you can’t really see what it looks like very well… plus I really do not want anyone to try “testing it out”.

WebKat

#50 2007-02-06 03:18:08

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

two good reasons not to post the link. no problem — just thought i’d ask …

Last edited by benbruce (2007-02-06 03:20:17)

#51 2007-02-06 03:34:13

WebKat

Thanks for understanding. Normally I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

WebKat

#52 2007-02-22 20:55:39

azw

Is there a feature that would make the forum accessible only by password?

Do you consider TXPhorum ready for use on a site that matters?

BTW, this plug-in looks like it’s going to be really useful. Thanks!

#53 2007-02-27 04:15:59

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

asz,

You can set up the password protection however you like — the model forum is set up so that the post and reply functions require a password.

• Ben

#54 2007-03-08 11:31:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

This is so totally cool, thanks Ben and the early adopters for fashioning this excellent mod. I’m going to be playing with the styling soon, so I’ll see what I can come up with and share it when it’s approaching usable. Might be able to make a template out of it, who knows.

Anyway, couple of (probably stupid) questions:

1) When searching, if the search term is found in a reply and someone clicks to view it, that reply is shown on its own. Is there a way I can add a link to say “see the whole discussion thread” so the person can see what else was said on this topic, instead of just the reply in isolation?

2) I assume selecting “Accept comments: No” in the admin prefs is a Very Good Thing™ for sites that use TXPhorum solely (one of mine in development is doing this)? But when it is used as a section of a site, what’s the best way of making sure comments don’t show up in TXPhorum? <txp:if_comments_allowed> on its own won’t work. For now, in my comments_display form I’ve added a conditional if_section / else around the whole lot to ignore it if it’s in the txphorum / txphorum_replies section. Is that the best way to handle it or is there something neater I’ve missed?

3) Is there a cool way to add sub-sections, a la bulletin boards? Like, I make broad groups and people can then post topics on subjects in that group? In my mind, categories (e.g. category1 for major topics, perhaps category2 – or subcats when they eventually appear – for sub-topics?) would be an obvious solution. If the person is browsing a category, storing each reply/post with the current category names means standard TXP tags can then be used to organise by category, show a list of categories for browsing, search within a category, etc etc… Does it do this already (I’ve not tried yet)? Or could something like this be added?

Cheers, and thanks again for this awesome piece of work.

Last edited by Bloke (2007-03-08 11:56:20)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#55 2007-03-08 18:54:33

castanet

Great plugin. I would like to use this for a parent-teacher organisation here in Mallorca but it would have to be in Spanish (actually Catalan but Spanish will do…) Is language support available/do-able ? Thanks

#56 2007-03-08 20:16:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

castanet wrote:

Is language support available/do-able ?

Have you looked at MLP? Perhaps running that alongside TXPhorum might work? It should certainly put MLP through its paces… might have to ask Ben to add in some hooks for it in the plugin, but net-carver’s got an easy plugin template to make code MLP-aware.

Last edited by Bloke (2007-03-08 20:17:08)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#57 2007-03-09 19:36:02

castanet

Thanks, Bloke. Wow, that’s another awesome Txp plugin! At first glance it seems a little too awesome for what I need but I may set up a demo and have a fiddle. Any simpler ideas would also be welcome

#58 2007-03-09 20:21:58

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

castanet,

TXPhorum is just regular Textpattern (in most ways). “Espagnol” is an included language with a Textpattern install, so just choose that language in the Admin and you should be all set.

• Ben

#59 2007-03-13 04:47:48

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

bloke,

1) When searching, if the search term is found in a reply and someone clicks to view it, that reply is shown on its own. Is there a way I can add a link to say “see the whole discussion thread” so the person can see what else was said on this topic, instead of just the reply in isolation?

Yeah, I see what you’re saying. It can be done right now. Assuming you followed the tutorial here (I’m using those names and custom fields, etc) you could build the link this way (you’ll have to test this, I can’t remember exactly how this tag works):

<a href="index.php?id=<txp:custom_field name=post_or_reply />">See full discussion thread</a>

2) I assume selecting “Accept comments: No” in the admin prefs is a Very Good Thing™ for sites that use TXPhorum solely (one of mine in development is doing this)? But when it is used as a section of a site, what’s the best way of making sure comments don’t show up in TXPhorum? <txp:if_comments_allowed> on its own won’t work. For now, in my comments_display form I’ve added a conditional if_section / else around the whole lot to ignore it if it’s in the txphorum / txphorum_replies section. Is that the best way to handle it or is there something neater I’ve missed?

I’m not sure what the best solution is. On my site I have automatic comments turned off, and then in the particular forms I want comments displayed, I add the proper tags. You solution seems pretty easy as well. This is a good conversation to keep up — your solution might help someone else who’s wondering the same thing.

3) Is there a cool way to add sub-sections, a la bulletin boards? Like, I make broad groups and people can then post topics on subjects in that group? In my mind, categories (e.g. category1 for major topics, perhaps category2 – or subcats when they eventually appear – for sub-topics?) would be an obvious solution. If the person is browsing a category, storing each reply/post with the current category names means standard TXP tags can then be used to organise by category, show a list of categories for browsing, search within a category, etc etc… Does it do this already (I’ve not tried yet)? Or could something like this be added?

My thought had always been … just create a new section for each new sub-section, and then create a master index to hold them. You could do this now. Your idea about adding category support is smart, and really that support should be in there already, so this is something that should be dealt with at some point down the road.

Last edited by benbruce (2007-03-13 04:49:35)

#60 2007-03-15 14:38:45

castanet

If I try to logout from the Public Info or Login Info areas of my demo version http://apa.castanet.info/txphorum , I don’t get returned to the login page. I tried it on Ben’s demo too. The Catalan is coming along nicely…

Board footer