Re: TXPhorum: A simple forum solution for Textpattern

maverick,

That’s great! Keep us posted here …

• Ben

#14 2007-01-24 18:04:03

maverick
Website

It is nothing spectacular, but here is my test forum.

*The color scheme has been changed somewhat, and it has been integrated into the rest of our website’s design, along with some minor changes to css and layout.

*I have to do a walk through of the self register feature yet – I haven’t used it before on the site.

*The edit function is not working for me (post or reply). Clicking on the edit link pulls up an edit box with the text “Make your changes” but there isn’t a text box to make the changes in.

*I was able to edit the post from the adminstation panel, but noticed three oddities: 1) textile was turned off as the default setting for editing the article 2) The Textile Help Link was missing from the left hand side of the page and 3) I had the following error message: Warning: Table ‘MC_TP.bab_pm_list_prefs’ doesn’t exist select * from bab_pm_list_prefs in /home/.jabot/morch/moroccochurch.org/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php on line 84

*I am able to edit the reply from the administration panel as well. The article id of the post is 282. The title of the reply is “282 reply”. It also lacked the Textile help link and was set to “leave text untouched”.

So here are my questions:

*Is “leave text untouched” the intended action?

*Should the help link be missing from the edit page in the administration panel when editing a txphorum article?

*Should a txphorum reply (do I understand correctly that it is a comment) show up as an article?

*Have you had any problems with the edit link?

*Am I jumping the gun :) — I don’t want to get ahead of you if these are items you have already addressed for you next release.

Thanks Ben

Mike

#15 2007-01-24 18:34:06

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Mike,

Man, that looks AWESOME! That was just what I was imagining could happen. It just fits RIGHT INTO YOUR SITE. Can you tell I’m excited by that?

To your questions: The Edit link is screwy in the published version I uploaded — that’s one of the things that went awry when I “cleaned up” (read, screwed up) the working version. It’s working on my site because I reverted to the “unclean” version. As soon as I can get a new version up I’ll post it here.

The self-register feature works on my site perfectly — I tried to register on your site but it did not work. The form “submitted” but didn’t display a message and I never received the password email.

The “textile_untouched” can be fixed with the next release — I’ve noticed that as well. It’s not good — I want you to be able to edit / moderate posts / replies from the admin, but unless you remember to switch that to Textile_this it screws it up. I think that’s just a matter of “setting” something properly when the article is entered.

The replies are only “comments” in the sense that they have a parent, the “post”. All of them are articles. The trick is entering them in different sections, and using <txp:article_custom /> to call the “replies” and display them under a “post”. In other words, yes, they should all appear in the article column. I’ve thought of a better way to “title” the replies so that they will be unique. Next version.

I’m not sure what your deal is with the help link and the error notice. that looks like Postmaster to me (“bab_pm_list_prefs”). Do you have Postmaster installed?

• Ben

#16 2007-01-25 05:02:11

igner
Plugin Author

Ben/maverick – you can fix the textile issue by changing textile_body = '' to textile_body = '1' around line 171 of the TXPhorum plugin.

Ben – I noted on your demo forum that the issue with logout is addressed in the 0.5b versions of ign_password_protect; it strips out any existing query string, which on messy url sites effectively means the user is returned to the front page.

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#17 2007-01-25 17:49:26

maverick
Website

igner

Thanks. That did the trick.

The lines in question showed as lines 91 and 92 (part of the list under “safe_insert”). I edited the plugin using SubEthaEdit . . . perhaps that accounts for the difference in line numbers?

I changed both textile_body and textile_excerpt from “” to “1”. Result is both show up with textile enabled from the write tab as promised.

Ben

re: the textile help link: apparently the missing “Textile Help” was missing because textile was turned off on the articles. Once turned on, and the page was refreshed a couple of times, the link reappeared. I tested on several posts, and it disappeared when I turned textile off, and reappeared when textile was enabled.

It makes sense – I just had not realized (or had forgotten) that the link was contextualized like that.

re: articles vs comments: Thank you for the clarification that “replies” are actually articles instead of comments. I had missed or misunderstood that.

re: self-register – I will continue to troubleshoot that. I had two test cases in addition to yours. Two bounced (including yours – I think the messages was: adminsitrative permission denied). All three sent truncated emails. I’m sure I have failed to properly configure the plugin.

re: error message: Doh! – You are correct – the error message was coming from the Postmaster plugin. I should have thought a little harder about the bb_pm designation. I apologize. I had just installed the plugins and turned them on a day or so ago, but not configured them yet (sloppy thing to do). I have turned them off until I have more time to spend setting them up. The error message is gone.

Thanks again Igner and Ben

Mike

#18 2007-01-25 19:20:47

igner
Plugin Author

hmmm – it could be – or minor differences in whitespace, config, or version. either way, you found it, and it worked, so you’re set there.

And then my dog ate my badger, and the love was lost.

#19 2007-01-26 10:45:30

raveoli
Website

On http://www.benbruce.com/txphorum_manual/TXPhorumTutorial it says:
Download the TXPhorum Plugin file, and do a search and replace for “txphorum” and whatever name you chose in step one. This text file contains the PAGE, FORMS and STYLE for the template.

But that is the plugin? I’ve installed the plugin. But where do I find the templates for what goes into the respective forms and the page?

Sorry, but I’ve looked around everywhere on your site…

#20 2007-01-26 13:06:25

raveoli
Website

Scratch the above, I found it.

Anyway, a newly created users post does not appear…

#21 2007-01-26 15:18:01

maverick
Website

raveoli

Can you provide more information?

#22 2007-01-26 16:52:07

raveoli
Website

Yes, I use txp 4.0.4 and the forum can be seen here

Also, I don’t get the commenting-out on a lot of the stuff that goes on the page:

<!—<div id=“logged_row_box”> <txp:ign_if_logged_in> <txp:ign_logged_user /> <txp:else /> You are not logged in. </txp:ign_if_logged_in> </div>—>

Why is it commented out?

#23 2007-01-26 16:58:56

raveoli
Website

PS: Why all the hardcoded styles for the table cells? It’s a hellish situation to hunt down why the layout behaves as it does…

PPS: The page template had some errors, in that it contains <P> tags (capital) which is not valid xhtml.

#24 2007-01-26 17:20:00

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Raveoli,

You’re getting the best version that I have. The commenting out is just places where I was testing putting something here or there and forgot to remove it.

I think most of the styles are in the stylesheet, so … As I mention in several places, I expect an expert to build a valid xhtml template for the forum — ideally we’d have many to choose from — and this is just a working model for others to work from.

Have you managed to get the basic functions working, then?

• Ben

PS. Raveoli, I was just thinking — I may have moved the styles into the stylesheet better after I published that material to the Web, so you might be happier with the next version

Last edited by benbruce (2007-01-26 18:51:06)

Board footer