2. » Plugin support
  3. » smd_slimbox

#421 2008-03-11 17:03:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: smd_slimbox

raveoli wrote:

The animating caption/close bottom part is annoying me. How do I best get rid of it, and maybe place the close-button in the upper right corner instead?

As iblastoff implies, none of that is controlled by the TXP plugin. If you look at Christophe’s page (the comments sometimes have helpful tips) or his forum, someone’s bound to have asked the questions before.

Failing that, consider an alternative gallery like Thickbox or Litebox. While not officially supported by the slimbox plugin, it is possible to substitute them with a bit of deviance. Or you can try the smd_gallery plugin for a more powerful implementation.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-03-11 17:04:08)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#422 2008-03-11 20:09:10

raveoli
Website

Ok, I’m with you… But, now that you mention the new smd_gallery plugin… Do you consider it to be a direct replacement of smd_slimbox, ie. abandoning smd_slimbox, or will they continue as separate entities? Do you consider smd_gallery a stable enough plugin in its current 0.2 state, for a soon to be live site?

#423 2008-03-11 20:41:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

raveoli wrote:

now that you mention the new smd_gallery plugin… Do you consider it to be a direct replacement of smd_slimbox

Sort of, because it can do more than just Slimbox. But I’m not going to abandon smd_slimbox because smd_gallery is an order of magnitude more complicated and relies on some javascript knowledge to really get the most out of it (and people thought I couldn’t make things more complex!)

What I may do is backport one or two of the ideas from smd_gallery to here (get rid of the reliance on smd_slimbox_inc for a start). I’ll keep it primarily a slimbox-only solution, but removing smd_slimbox_inc will allow people to substitute other libraries more easily if they feel like it. So smd_slimbox will end up bridging the gap between itself and smd_gallery, though the latter can do waaaay more and tends to be more efficient.

Do you consider smd_gallery a stable enough plugin in its current 0.2 state, for a soon to be live site?

I do. It’s been in the wild for a few months and I’ve been using it on sites for a while now without incident. And, believe me, I’ve tried some freaky tag combos! Others have tried it and there haven’t been any major complaints yet so I’m confident it does what it says on the tin. After speaking with rloaderro, yes there are a few things I’d like to perhaps enhance but for the most part, if you’re comfortable with the syntax, then go for it.

As it stands right now, once the docs are written I’ll more than likely release it officially in its current form.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#424 2008-03-11 22:37:57

raveoli
Website

Ok thanks for clarifying. I just decided to give smd_gallery a shot, and it is too complicated for me currently. I managed to get a slideshow going, but without any thumbnails?

Which brings me back to my original question. Which I did not find an answer for in the slimbox docs. I ain’t no JS wiz, but I’m gonna have a look at it tomorrow…

#425 2008-03-11 22:48:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

raveoli wrote:

smd_gallery… I managed to get a slideshow going, but without any thumbnails?

Curious. The new, official, version should be available later today. Yes it’s confusing at first but it’s probably easier than hacking the slimbox javascript!

If you want any help with smd_gallery, send me an e-mail and let me know which gallery you prefer (slimbox, lightbox, thickbox, fancyzoom, slideshow,…) along with some brief details of how you tried to get it working (tag and form should do) and I’ll see what I can do to get you going.

Edit: Seems like you’re having the same missing thumbs issue with aro_slideshow, so it’s probably just a path issue or a tiny mis-configuration. You’re 90% of the way there!

Last edited by Bloke (2008-03-11 22:53:54)

#426 2008-03-17 19:08:29

progre55

Bloke:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, but I am following up on the issue I was discussing combining catgeories and additional images.

Taking my requirements and your suggestion, I have created a custom field called “GenericImages” and added the following code:

<txp:smd_slimbox category="fixed, ?id" imageid="?GenericImages" orderby="name:asc, category" showpagelinks="0" thumb="1"/>

What I was expecting to see is a gallery that contained all images that were assigned the same category number as the article (ie article-100) and the images that were in the “GenericImages” field.

When I view, nothing changed with my original gallery. The images in the “GenericImages” field do not display.

The only thing you may want to know is that I am using Gerhard’s excellent custom field plug in . I am not sure if this would have an effect, but the custom field I created is actually custom_14.

progre55

Last edited by progre55 (2008-03-17 19:13:33)

#427 2008-03-17 20:49:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

progre55 wrote:

I have created a custom field called “GenericImages” and added the following code:
bc. <txp:smd_slimbox category=“fixed, ?id” imageid=”?GenericImages” orderby=“name:asc, category” showpagelinks=“0” thumb=“1”/>

You should indeed see what you expected: a gallery with all images assigned to the category ‘fixed’, plus images from the category ‘article-id#’, plus any images that have IDs listed in the “GenericImages” field.

The only thing you may want to know is that I am using Gerhard’s excellent “custom field plug in”… the custom field I created is actually custom_14.

Ah, now that will probably be why you’re not seeing them. Internally, the plugin uses the variables available to the page ($thisarticle and $pretext). The TXP devs kindly populate these with the contents of the first 10 custom fields. I very much doubt Gerhard exposes his extended custom fields programmatically to scripts, though if he does then a) I’ll make a shrine to him, b) it’ll be a cinch to update slimbox to use them.

I know it’s probably asking a lot but can you shift GenericImages somewhere into the first 10 custom fields? If not, how about using article_image instead as a comma-separated list of image IDs? Or keywords? Or excerpt? Assuming you’re not using them for their intended purposes already.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-03-17 20:51:37)

#428 2008-03-17 21:25:27

progre55

Bloke:

Thanks for the reply.

I am currently using article_image, but I am not using the keywords field …

I tried this with no dice, but I am sure my code is wrong:

<txp:smd_slimbox category="fixed, ?id" imageid="!keywords" orderby="name:asc, category" showpagelinks="0" thumb="1"/>

progre55

#429 2008-03-17 21:30:25

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

progre55

Try a question mark instead of an exclamation mark:

<txp:smd_slimbox category="fixed, ?id" imageid="?keywords" orderby="name:asc, category" showpagelinks="0" thumb="1"/>

You want to include, not exclude it :-)

Last edited by Bloke (2008-03-17 21:30:49)

#430 2008-03-17 21:34:53

progre55

Bloke:

I was checking to see if you were on your game today. ;-)

As usual, you are correct. That did the trick and all is well. At least I think so …..

I am sure we will be speaking in the future, but thanks again …

BTW, when are you launching the new music site?

progre55

#431 2008-03-17 21:53:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

progre55 wrote:

I was checking to see if you were on your game today. ;-)

Always on, man, always on. Err, except when I’m off :-)

BTW, when are you launching the new music site?

OT: You mean you didn’t read my TXPQ interview ?? Mind you, join the club :-p

The site went live a few weeks ago using a beta (very beta) version of my new ajax plugin, to coincide with the album launch of ‘Net’. Unfortunately, musicfreedom appears to be having technical difficulties so the music player’s not working right now until they sort it out :-(

When their team of hamsters fix it, you should be able to hear the tracks as well.

EDIT: P.S. as ever, the site works best in Firefox.
P.P.S. Part II of the interview is out tomorrow, I believe.

Last edited by Bloke (2008-03-17 22:00:38)

#432 2008-03-18 13:03:10

progre55

Bloke:

Thanks again.

Question: If I want to rename the keywords area in the template so that it is easier for the end user would I be correct to make this change in this section in the txp_article.php file:

// keywords
n.graf('<label for="keywords">'.gTxt('keywords').'</label>'.sp.popHelp('keywords').br.
n.'<textarea id="keywords" name="Keywords" cols="18" rows="5">'.htmlspecialchars(str_replace(',' ,', ', $Keywords)).'</textarea>'),

I think this is the right place to make the change? And if this is correct, is it as simple as just renaming .gTxT(‘keywords’).’ to something else.

progre55

1. Index
  2. » Plugin support
  3. » smd_slimbox

Board footer