Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#529 2007-12-29 14:10:05

Kjeld
Website

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

net-carver wrote:

Ok, there’s a contact form on my website but I probably won’t get much time for anything until Monday night. If you are posting from Japan I’m about an hour behind you here.

OK, I will send you the link right away.

Old Photos of Japan – Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
MeijiShowa – Stock photos of Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
JapaneseStreets.com – Japanese street fashion (mostly txp)

#530 2008-01-02 05:24:37

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

All

just to update you. The problems that Kjeld was having on his site have been worked around but they have highlighted a few weaknesses in the MLP Pack’s current URL re-writing scheme. So please be aware: I’ll be re-working some of the URL handling code to make the pack more robust in future versions. I’ll be needed people to test the changes once they are done.

In addition, we have also found that chh_keywords is incompatible with the MLP Pack’s l10n_lang_list tag. It can be worked around very simply so if you need the fix, let me know and I’ll post it.

Steve

#531 2008-01-02 05:46:13

Kjeld
Website

For those wondering if they should try MLP, I can highly recommend it to anyone who needs a multilingual site. I have implemented the plugin on two sites now, one of them quite complex. Some problems were encountered initially, but with Steve’s help and insight they were easily overcome. Steve, once again, many thanks.

Old Photos of Japan – Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
MeijiShowa – Stock photos of Japan in the 1850s~1960s (100% txp)
JapaneseStreets.com – Japanese street fashion (mostly txp)

#532 2008-01-05 15:26:21

AndrijaM
Website

Hello,
just tryin’ to make my first mlp site and having some questions.

Just after intall there was an error message when tryin to see the web site. But I’ve read here that
I have to disable zem_contact_lang and that worked fine. Now the site is showing, but
one page, and that is the blog page, with articles is not showin. Actualy, the page is showing but
no articles.

And on my contact page i got this error
Tag error: -> Textpattern Notice: Page template kontakt does not contain a txp:article tag on line 464

Also, the categories and archive are not working. I’m using rss_unlimited_categories_list and rss_suparchive_menu.

I belive this got something to do with changed url, becouse now is http://site.com/en/blog etc. and before was without en.

And I am not sure hot to include a menu on web page where the visitor can choose wich language to use.

Thanks for great plugin!

#533 2008-01-05 15:37:19

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Andrija

And I am not sure hot to include a menu on web page where the visitor can choose wich language to use.

Ok, last question first. The pack provides a tag, l10n_lang_list, which can be used to output a list of languages for you. It’s context sensitive — so you can put it in a page template and it will deal with single article (displaying only the languages that the article is available in) or article lists (displaying all site languages) as needed.

I belive this got something to do with changed url, becouse now is http://site.com/en/blog etc. and before was without en

Yes, before it was without “en” but the pack injects language markers into the URLs to so that browsers know that the English version of the page is different from the German version of the page. Before I had the pack do that, browsers would present a cached English page on switching to the German translation — very confusing.

The ‘en’ you are talking about is stripped out of the request URL before most plugins ever get to see it. Given the symptoms and the error message you posted a few lines above it I think it is more likely that you are missing an article tag from your kontakt template.

Last edited by net-carver (2008-01-05 15:40:46)

Steve

#534 2008-01-05 15:52:50

AndrijaM
Website

Thanks for quick replay.

This kontakt template doesn’t have any article tag, guess thats most interesting thing. And before instaling mvp everything was fine. But ok, this is probably something little, I’ll try to find what it is.

But what about these urls, I understand what you are saying, but not sure how to solve it.

#535 2008-01-05 16:25:02

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Andrija

But what about these urls, I understand what you are saying, but not sure how to solve it.

I misread your original post now I see you are saying that you think the URL problem is why categories/archives are not working. I think you are right. After taking a look at how those two rss_ plugins do what they do, I don’t think there’s a quick fix for you. Sorry — for now I can’t suggest a solution that involves the pack if you want to keep those plugins. However, your plight is not to be ignored and I’ll be making this an issue that needs some attention soon. (See next section…)

All

Just to let you know the current state of affairs with regard to MLP Pack development. These are the issues that I’m currently looking at resolving for the next release…

1. Re-write the URL language code injection routine so that it is more robust.
  2. Show localised categories in the following admin pages (thanks to Kjeld for pointing this out) …
    1. Write tab select boxes — use the language of the rendition being edited to choose which category renditions to display.
    2. Category tab and Renditions tab — use the admin language to determine which renditions to display
  3. Fix compatibility with other plugins that do URL manipulation in the pretext callback (thanks to Andrija for pointing this out)

Steve

#536 2008-01-05 16:35:24

AndrijaM
Website

Ok, thanks, I have no problem using some other plugins for archive/category list. Can you suggest some that work fine?

#537 2008-01-05 16:40:46

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Andrija

wait a minute, this might work (but I can’t guarantee it)…

1. Totally delete those two rss_ plugins from your installation. Be sure you don’t just disable them, delete them.
  2. Re-install them both, from scratch, by pasting their code into the admin > plugins upload area.
  3. Re-enable them both.

BTW, did you install the MLP Pack after the rss_ plugins?

Last edited by net-carver (2008-01-05 16:42:54)

Steve

#538 2008-01-05 16:51:04

AndrijaM
Website

Just tried what you suggested. No luck. Same thing, page apears, but no articles.

Yes, rss plugins were already there.

Can you suggest me what to do, any other plugin for article/categories?

#539 2008-01-05 17:01:00

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Andrija

The post above wasn’t aimed at the problem with the missing articles but at the category / archive problem. Are they working any better now?

There are other tagging-type plugins you could try instead of unlimited categories. tru_tags being one that is active at the moment. For an archive — do you need a plugin at all? There are some options discussed in this thread. I cannot recommend any archive plugins for the MLP as I simply can’t test against every plugin out there.

Steve

#540 2008-01-05 17:06:37

AndrijaM
Website

No, they are not working at all.

Thats what I meant when I said the page displays but no articles. When i click on some category, or month in the archive, the page displays but no articles.

And the same thing is on the blog sections landing page, which should be displaying articles from blog and is not related to these plugins.

In blog landing page I have only:

<txp:if_individual_article>
<txp:article form=“IndArticle” />
<txp:else />
<txp:article form=“artExcerts” />
</txp:if_individual_article>

Board footer