Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#2017 2012-09-25 18:45:22

roughnecks

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

Hi,
Some friend of mine asked why i wasn’t writing my posts in Italian (which happens to be my native language) so i came by MLP and was thinking about installing it on my site: after some readings i’m now assessing the risks it may involve.

This texpattern installation begun with version 4.4.0 and was upgraded till 4.5.1 (current stable release); i’ve never installed any template so my site is stick to that belonging to 4.4.0 and i’m just fine with it.

Question is: what is the preferable/advisable way to go through installig MLP on a “production” site? Do i need to test it elsewhere first? Is it reliable enough to do the big jump without second thoughts and, most of all, will i be eventually able to uninstall it without compromising my site?

Thanks for reading and sorry for my uncertainties about MLP but i am not really a guru speaking about textpattern and i’m not in search for possible troubles to solve.

#2018 2012-09-25 18:53:51

johnstephens
Plugin Author
Website

@roughnecks: I like MLP, and I have in running smoothly on a site alongside Textpattern 4.4.1. I will not be upgrading it until I hear confirmation that MLP works with 4.5.x.

#2019 2012-09-25 19:01:03

roughnecks

Hi John,
Thanks for the feedback: i’ll keep following this thread for such confirmation too, then.
Hope to hear good news soon.

#2020 2012-09-25 19:01:59

els

roughnecks wrote:

Question is: what is the preferable/advisable way to go through installig MLP on a “production” site? Do i need to test it elsewhere first? Is it reliable enough to do the big jump without second thoughts and, most of all, will i be eventually able to uninstall it without compromising my site?

First: if your site is on anything higher than 4.4.1, don’t install MLP now. It’s not ready yet for Textpattern 4.5.
In Txp 4.4.1 it’s very reliable, at least for me it is. As you may have noticed in this thread some users are having problems.
As soon as MLP is ready for Txp 4.5, it will be announced in this thread. When it is, don’t hesitate to install it, if you find it doesn’t fit your needs after all, it can be uninstalled without any damage to your site.

#2021 2012-09-25 19:03:57

roughnecks

Thanks Els, that makes perfect sense to me now.

#2022 2012-09-25 19:07:29

els

@Exiladler

Sorry, I seem to have overlooked your post. I hope you found the solution, but if you didn’t: is it a new installation where this happens, or an existing one? If the latter, did the problem occur after an upgrade?

#2023 2012-09-25 19:39:08

Exiladler
Website

no, left it, as I had other more pressing projects.

No update (known to me) but possible php upgrade by hoster

Site has been up for a year at least but I did not add any new articles, now when I tried, I get to this problem. So any suggestions of possible solutions I could try? Let me know if you need more config data.

#2024 2012-09-25 20:25:07

els

More config data to be honest wouldn’t tell me much :( I don’t know, don’t think I’ve seen this happen before. What I would probably do if I were you is change the language of the articles in question manually in the database, but of course that wouldn’t be a long term solution. Running the cleanup wizard (don’t check the checkboxes) and then the install wizard again can’t hurt, but I doubt if it will help.

Or else just hope for MLP’s adaption to 4.5 to arrive soon…

#2025 2012-09-26 08:30:26

datorhaexa
Website

Strange things have happened to my installs when I’d use a db table prefix. This might not be the case here, but might be worth mentioning.

#2026 2012-09-26 08:56:00

Exiladler
Website

@els, waiting for 4.5.1 was my initial idea, will wait and see what happens, thanks

#2027 2012-10-01 12:33:14

Viator
Website

Hello guys! Maybe somebody can help… The problem is as follows: we have a bilingual web-site, e.g. mysite.com. So main page is available at two addresses, for example mysite.com/ru/ and mysite.com/en/. By default Russian language is set in MPL settings. How can we make main page accessible at mysite.com link (without /ru/ language extension) while English can remain at mysite.com/en/ link? Consequently we expect that allpages in Russian language version would have the URLs like mysite.com/section/article, and in English it would be mysite.com/en/section/article.

In other words: for the default language (Russian in our case) remove /ru/ extension from all URLs. Is is possible to do?

Textpattern version — 4.4.1 MLP — 4.3.0.12

#2028 2012-10-02 15:40:40

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

hi guys

i do have a big problem over here, and i couldnt find any quick answer so im posting here. txp 4.4.1 (afraid of v4.5 including mlp..)
i do have plenty of langugages installed right now and i use glz_custom_fields. i inserted some textarea custom fields and modded these via phpmyadmin to MEDIUMTEXT instead of varchar(255) so the field is capable of enough content. works fine.
but now, if i edit one articles custom field, all other articles get changed as well. i guess mlp is looking up the wrong table for the custom fields, its not picking the language table but the normal txp table. am i right? anybody can fix this..? ahh!!

EDIT:
never mind. im stupid. but lucky.
copied articles into other languages and was sure that i changed them afterwards. but i just didnt.

Last edited by jens31 (2012-10-02 17:00:53)

Board footer