Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#169 2007-03-23 02:09:29

Danw
Website

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

Thought I chime in after about a month or so using MLP on LovingPerth

Firstly, I just wanted to thank the devs for bringing such an awesome plugin to us – it’s a joy to work with. It works very well for blogging and has been well suited to the style of content we’ve been putting up thus far. We’ve recently started work on a more portal-styled site and for this MLP has been a little more unwieldy. I’ll post more specifics and issues as I come across them.

Bugs we’ve come across:

• No lang URL part appended on “Comments” link. On the /ja/ page for example, clicking Comment will give a missing page
  • This could be user error, but I can’t get an RSS feed for non-english posts. Is this something I have to setup manually?

Feature requests

• In the MLP reditions page, it would be nice to be able to split the content up in relevant sections. The search works well, but it would be nice to have some way to display articles and non-articles separately.
  • Is there any way to rename En-Gb as just “English.” We get queries from non-english speakers as to what the GB is. I think it’s a little confusing and in most cases the distinction between En-Us and En-Gb isn’t important to the end user.

#170 2007-03-23 02:11:34

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Here is my String Search Statistics, I found a couple of inconsistencies in the string variables, that I will nail down, once I get through this one, but I’m getting close:

Statistics.

Language

Deutsch 1136
Ελληνικά 1187
English (GB) 1180
Total Renditions 3503
Total strings 1187

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-03-23 02:21:41)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#171 2007-03-23 02:34:15

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Danw wrote:

Thought I chime in after about a month or so using MLP on LovingPerth

Bugs we’ve come across:

No lang URL part appended on “Comments” link. On the /ja/ page for example, clicking Comment will give a missing page

It worked well for me.( I get the comment form, which isn’t localized yet though )

This could be user error, but I can’t get an RSS feed for non-english posts. Is this something I have to setup manually?

I found another link: http://www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au/html/vis07_3x3_2007.phpre on the page that returns 404.
thta’s because there is a re appended to the PHP file extension, which needs be removed.

Steve wrote

If you set the list to high detail mode then each rendition should already be marked up with the language. I wouldn’t want to include a language icon by default as it’s pretty user-specific and flags don’t map one-to-one to languages. The Malaysian flag, for example, could map to Malay, English, Tamil and about 70 other tribal languages. Similarly, Greek doesn’t just map to a single country.

Ok, I see. I never used this option actually. Every day you learn something new.

I also have a couple of dibugging Info Steve, I’ll package that up together with the Strings and send it down later alltogether.

ALL,

Don’t forget also to send your String translations to Steve, so we have something to work with.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2007-03-23 02:41:22)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#172 2007-03-23 02:42:29

Danw
Website

In regards to the comment links, it’s interesting. I went through and reclicked on the comments links and they worked. I can’t seem to reproduce the broken links, but I was able to earlier in the day. I’ll try and narrow down exactly what’s going on.

marios wrote:

I found another link: http://www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au/html/vis07_3x3_2007.phpre on the page that returns 404.

Good catch. Fixed.

#173 2007-03-23 06:34:52

sanmarco
Website

@hi all, thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate it!

yep i went in my php.admin and delete the |10. Now i login etc. Just one question, the gdb_admin… is still activated but now there is no MLP in the navigation when i’m go to “content”.

in the diagnostics a message appear: /mnt/jd1/05/866/00000012/htdocs/blog/textpattern/setup/ still exists . What i need to delete there? Its bit confusing. May also that is the ptoblem why it doesnt work with MLP?
I’m afraid to install the |10 again and activat it. But i guess in need it because its the source right?
best regards
sanmarco

#174 2007-03-23 06:43:40

sanmarco
Website

I just tried it once again to install and activte the |10n but it doesnt work again, “internal error message” appears again. (???)
Even i can’t go in the diagnostic section to check whats wrong. Than i deactivated the |10n again and at least all is appearing again without the “internal error message”. The server i use its a apache and php 4 database. So what can i do to make it working?
thanks a lot

sanmarco

#175 2007-03-23 10:14:00

marios
Archived Plugin Author

net-carver wrote:

However, a compromise might be for me to add the language marker as a CSS class to the language name — then users can update their local TxP css file to add in any image they want (you can already do this on the public interface). Shout if you want that adding to the to-do list.

That sounds like a good Idea.

regrds, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#176 2007-03-23 12:30:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

net-carver wrote:

Whilst away I’ve been thinking of dropping support for installations with any MySQL version prior to 4.1

Tentatively I say go for it as well. My hoster’s running 4.0.27-standard so depending on your timescales for dropping support I might not be able to upgrade to the latest MLP versions until they get their act in gear, but that shouldn’t be allowed to get in the way of your progress. I’d still be supporting IE6 fully if I cared about old technology ;-)

I’m going to give this hoster a polite e-mail kicking anyway because I can’t see any real reason for them to still be using PHP4.4 and MySQL 4.0 when the later (even v5) products have been around for aeons now and are well tested. Maybe it’s a cpanel issue though, as that’s the hosting interface they’re using? A lot of people seem to still be running old versions of PHP and MySQL with cpanel. I’ll ask and see what they say.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#177 2007-03-23 15:20:59

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

OK, my Firefox hanging on tab switching issue just came back. The following is pretty detailed (and specific to my situation) so people not caring about my plight ought to skip this post.

I left the page idling for five minutes and eventually got back a “Zero Sized Reply” error page. I looked at the headers in Firebug:

Server	squid/2.5.STABLE14
Mime-Version	1.0
Date	Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:55:12 GMT
Content-Type	text/html
Content-Length	999
Expires	Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:55:12 GMT
X-Squid-Error	ERR_ZERO_SIZE_OBJECT 0
X-Cache	MISS from the_server
Connection	close
Request Headers
Host	www.nemotv.com
User-Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3
Accept	text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
Accept-Language	en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding	gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset	ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive	300
Connection	keep-alive
Cookie	txp_nostay=1; txp_login=blah%2Cblahblah; search_string_name_live=; cprelogin=no; PHPSESSID=the_session_string

I had a thought that maybe it was a cookie giving me problems and that the reason it suddenly started working before was because a cookie that was somehow blocking it had expired. So I disabled cookies from the dev toolbar and retried the link; no joy. I edited the URL back to just the TXP login page; no joy.

Then I went the whole hog and emptied all the session cookies and refreshed. Instead of hanging, I was dumped back to the login screen (as expected) and I could then log in fine. A few clicks later it hung again (the extensions tab this time) so I let it time out again. The headers were pretty much the same. I then deleted the cookies one at a time; first search_string_name_live then txp_nostay then PHPSESSID and at that point it allowed me back into the interface.

After a few more clicks it hung again so I cancelled the request, deleted PHPSESSID and could then continue using the admin interface; a few clicks later the same thing; clearing PHPSESSID each time allowed me to carry on using TXP.

Navigating to the Admin->plugins page, disabling L10n, and clearing the PHPSESSID cookie allowed me to freely use the interface until I became bored. The cookie never came back. As soon as I re-enabled L10n, PHPSESSID reappeared and a few clicks later BOOM, a hanging Firefox.

So, a few questions/observations:

1) Does L10n use session cookies?
2) If not, then it’s my client side code being called by L10n from the admin interface for some reason.

For info: because this is a public-facing gaming website that will eventually have user credit accounts etc in it, I’m being ultra-paranoid about session hijacking and the like. It’s primarily AJAX-based so each click from the client’s browser calls the remote procedures file to handle their click. In the process of doing that it calls a session.php file to check they’re a) still logged in, b) still the same person, and c) that the session hasn’t expired.

As part of this I occasionally, randomly re-issue a brand new session token to the browser and store it in the database against their name. I know, probably overkill, but when there’s thousands of pounds of prize money at stake each week, well, who knows…

This behaviour fits the profile of my session.php being called erroneously from the admin side, checking the user database for the (non-existent) admin user and because I’m not trapping any errors (hey, it’s only prototype code right now!) it could either be hanging because the user doesn’t exist, or trying to return a strange chunk of XML to what it thinks is the client’s browser, thus causing the admin interface to barf.

So, Steve, Marios, anyone:

1) Does that sound feasible/likely/possible?
2) Should I not be (ab)using TXP like this?
3) Is it a spurious interaction between L10n and the way I’ve set this system up? Could L10n be executing one of my forms every time I change tab which would cause it to load session.php? Any hooks that I might be using, maybe from a plugin?
4) Can I stop it happening by doing something different in my code?
5) Why does it only affect Firefox?!
6) Is there anything I can send anyone (probably offline, I’m cluttering up posts all over the place here) to help run this down?
7) Any other observations or things I could try?

I think this explains why Marios couldn’t emulate it! It really is just me.

Many thanks for listening this far…

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#178 2007-03-23 15:31:21

FireFusion

Problem.

I wanted to remove the default “(GB)” part from “English” in the menu so I removed it from the l10n_langs.php file. It worked but I think it’s now made Spanish the default language when people access the site.

Check it out Removed link

How can I fix this?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by FireFusion (2007-04-09 14:15:04)

#179 2007-03-23 15:42:49

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

FireFusion wrote:

I think it’s now made Spanish the default language when people access the site.

No probs here, I get it in English by default… it’s not a cookie set in your browser that’s giving you Spanish every time is it?

Nice site, btw. Very sharp photography.

Last edited by Bloke (2007-03-23 15:44:30)

#180 2007-03-23 16:03:20

FireFusion

Yeah, you’re right Bloke that’s what it was.

Glad you like the site. Yes the photographer is very skilled.

Board footer