Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1525 2010-05-19 09:56:32

Si
Website

Re: MLP - The Multi-Lingual Publishing Pack

I don’t know if it’s directly related to MLP, but I notice that my default language version (Ukrainian) is quite high in Google search results, while the secondary language (Russian) is buried very very deep in s*it. And it kills me, because I just can’t understand why!

Do you guys have any ideas if MLP can be the reason?

#1526 2010-05-19 16:24:51

liniocht
Website

Els thanks for all the fish your answers. :) I’ve got one more question.
As I look in the list of pages index by googlebot on my site I see
/drawings/sparrow-on-plum-tree
and
/drawings/en/sparrow-on-plum-tree

It seems /drawings/sparrow-on-plum-tree without language markers is found only in rss and atom feeds. I prohibit indexing /en/rss/ and /en/atom/ so urls without language markers should not be in the search results. But they are. It’s really bad for SEO.
Do you have an idea where it can come from?

#1527 2010-05-19 17:00:46

maniqui
Website

@liniocht:

That’s an old “issue” that still persists. URLs without the language markers work too. If you browse some previous pages on this thread (take your time, we are already at page 153 :) ), I’ve reported this “issue” before. I’m not sure if there is something you can do to prevent TXP/MLP to make this non-language-mark URLs to work. Also, should they return a 404? or should they just redirect to the correct URL, including the lang mark?

IMHO, the possible best current “solution” to this issue is to include a <link href="http://mysite.com/[*en*]/section/title" rel="canonical" /> on every page, and that one should always include the lang mark, even when serving the page at an URL without the lang mark.
That way, you are telling crawlers where is the canonical page for that no-lang-mark URL.
So, the “it’s bad for SEO”, is a more relative thing. I think recetly Google stated a few times that now they are smart enough to detect duplicated contents, and that webmasters shouldn’t be that worried about it as before. The rel="canonical" is a way to help Google robots with this task.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#1528 2010-05-19 18:25:19

liniocht
Website

Julián, thank you.
There’s one thing I still don’t understand – in order to index non-language-mark URL bot has to find a link to it, it’s not enough that this kind of URL works, there must be a link to it. But I blocked rss by robots.txt and double checked it. So where are the links to this non-canonical URLs if not in rss feeds?

#1529 2010-05-19 18:50:21

maniqui
Website

I couldn’t tell you. Maybe it was indexed by Google before you blocked the rss?

If that’s probable, then it make take some time until Google removes the non-lang-mark result from its SERPs. To “help” Google to remove it, you could try submitting a sitemap.xml, and/or taking a look at the different tools on Google Webmaster Tools.

#1530 2010-05-19 19:17:25

liniocht
Website

Thanks a lot, Julián,
I created a form

<txp:if_individual_article>
<link rel="canonical" href='<txp:site_url /><txp:l10n_rendition_lang /><txp:section link="0" />/<txp:article_url_title />' />
</txp:if_individual_article>

and output it in the header of the default page It adds <link rel=“canonical” href=“http://site_url/lang/section/title_url />

may be it’ll be of any use to somebody

Last edited by liniocht (2010-05-19 19:31:37)

#1531 2010-05-23 17:42:49

maniqui
Website

I was about to post a “discovery”, but Els, our Queen of Tags, and Guardian Angel of the MLP, discovered it and posted about it before.

Els wrote:

It’s not in the plugin help, but I think you need l10n_get_rendition_id:

<txp:article_custom id='<txp:l10n_get_rendition_id articleid="123" />' />

Thanks, Els!

#1532 2010-06-10 14:28:44

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

high

testing the plug-in right now and i must say: awesomeness is in the building!!
works fine for me, even in combination with some other plug-ins. nice!!

only (minor) problem i have: when i upload a single image via the standard function, the captions & alt stuff only appears in the original system language, and not, as expected in both (i now have 2 languages running) languages..
only if i pick the picture from the list, both languages appear. am i doing something wrong, or..?

thanks for sharing this monster!!

#1533 2010-06-10 15:28:11

jens31
Plugin Author
Website

since this is some kind of special (hardcore) plug-in i was wondering if all my other plug-ins would work properly as well. here you can find a list of plug-ins that are running on my actual project.

working flawless

• tru_tags
  • upm_image
  • upm_img_popper
  • rah_replace
  • gbp_permanent_links
  • rvm_maintenance

working limited

• glz_custom_fields (works fine, unless you dont need more than the ‘usual’ txp 10 custom fields, and dont create any new ones. is there a hack available?)
  • fpx_image_import (the category-creation wont work properly, since there are multilangual names per category, which wont be generated automatically unless you mod the plug-in)
    • copy the code to some texteditor (like textmate) and go to row 431.
    • $q = safe_insert(“txp_category”, “name=’$catname’, title=’$cattitle’, type=‘image’, parent=‘root’, l10n_title_de_de=’$catname’, l10n_title_en_gb=’$catname’ “);
    • l10n_title_de_de needs to be in the specific language and the complete command needs to be installed for every language (watch for the ending: de_de)..
    • the above example code already includes 2 different languages (german & english)

Last edited by jens31 (2010-06-11 14:48:05)

#1534 2010-06-10 15:43:43

els

jens31 wrote:

only (minor) problem i have: when i upload a single image via the standard function, the captions & alt stuff only appears in the original system language, and not, as expected in both (i now have 2 languages running) languages..
only if i pick the picture from the list, both languages appear. am i doing something wrong, or..?

That’s just how it works I’m afraid ;)

#1535 2010-06-16 07:39:06

LetterHoofd
Website

One of my customer’s sites needed an extra language, so I installed MLP. After the transition we have one problem I can’t solve. I believe it has something to day with the url-rewrite.

In people’s outlook signatures there’s an image that refers to www.domain.com/banner.gif. After going with MLP, that reference doesn’t work anymore. The same goes with trying to access the file directly within the browser.

Does anyone know how to solve this? Probably the .htaccess-file needs to be changed.

#1536 2010-06-16 18:03:14

els

Would it be an option to move the image to /images/ or another directory that you can exclude in the MLP preferences?
I don’t know much about .htaccess, but my guess is that the MLP rewrite rules happen after the .htaccess ones. I may be wrong though.

Board footer