Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2006-11-22 12:38:59

alexandra

Small survey: What makes a good OS community?

For a short article series about Opens Source communities on TXPMag, i like to ask you:

What makes an open source community a ‘good’ community for you?

Obviously a well organized forum is a precondition to build up a community but ahead that, what are your expectations of a well driven open source community?

#2 2006-11-22 13:58:15

marios
Archived Plugin Author

Re: Small survey: What makes a good OS community?

I have o Idea. I can not even understand the different License models ( Unless I’d go back to University to study LAW.
From what I could see so far, either open or closed source, It looks both like a Jungle to me. Basically Open source is a little more beautiful, since the variety is larger and advice is always at hand. Plus in most cases access to the source code is there, with a large amount of free learning resources.
Interesting to see, how TextMate somehow brakes this limitation, as Bundles based on a closed source Application are freely available and distributable without extra costs. (Like Closed Source going back Open Source)
So what is it then. Open Source, Closed Source ? But nevertheless, it works well, apart from some “Elite centered Mentality hiccups”.

regards, marios

Last edited by marios (2006-11-22 14:07:04)

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#3 2006-11-22 15:20:58

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Good question, I guess it varies on your level of participation.

If you just use the software and don’t hang out in the forums much unless something breaks, then you only need to know about security updates or when there’s a new revision.

If you participate, get involved in the community process, then it should be fun and educational to hang around, with the emphasis on fun.

#4 2006-11-22 15:52:46

alexandra

@marios
The difference between OS and proprietary /commercial software to me is: OS relies heavily on a community, submitting patches, code, etc.. helping with testing and debugging etc… commercial software relies on paying clients and marketing. An OS project can not survive without a working community.

@hcgtv and others

I asked the same question over at the ModX forum and someone gave this answer:

• Additional code being generated and supported by people not directly involved in the project.
  • A regularly updated bug tracker.
  • Feature requests that are seriously considered.

etc..

What do you think about that? What else would you add?

#5 2006-11-23 00:47:19

nardo

What makes an open source community a ‘good’ community for you?

• strong leadership from core team, they set the vibe
  • great forum support from advanced/experienced users (people like Mary, Els, Wet & so many more)
  • freelance contributions (via plugins & patches in Txp’s case)
  • community size – big enough to power/reward development, small enough to keep tabs on what’s going on
  • limited noise on forums
  • diversity of users’ skills, uses of the software – multiple perspectives
  • international community

#6 2006-11-23 12:31:21

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

I think what makes a good open source community is not much different, form what makes a regular/general community a good community. A key principle will certainly be:

Ask not what (certain people from) the community can do for you, ask what you can do for the community. As soon as people move economic measurements of externalities from their involvements into centerfield (as in do I get out more than I put in) there’s a risk for disappointment and in turn a sense of failure (at least for those specific people). The key currency of an open source community is the satisfaction/fun that is inherent in the work that the people choose to do, and that seldomly lends itself to economic scrutiny. Another important for long term health of a community is that key contributors do not “burn out” due to over-expectations.

So to conclude I find that the key aspect(s) of a good community are somewhat burried by how the question is framed:

what are your expectations of a well driven open source community?

because IMHO a well-driven open source community is not driven by expectations (that’s only half the equation). It’s driven by the attitudes of the people involved. And there I think important things are initiative, willingness to go out of ones way to help others, trust and cooperation. The only technical aspect necessary is for a good means of communication (be it a form, or a mailing-list, a wiki etc.).

If you are looking for a more concrete check-list type of answers, I would agree with many of the points that nardo raised and the point that hcgtv mentions: fun. ;)

#7 2006-11-23 18:03:10

Destry
Website

There’s your article, Alexandra, Sencer’s post. Just republish that and sign Sencer’s name to it. Anything else won’t be as accurate (or well-phrased).

#8 2006-11-23 18:07:08

alexandra

cool, thanks Sencer for sharing your opinion. Same to nardo :).

Concerning ‘expectation’: if someone volunteers in an OS project he/she usually has one more or less unconscious expectation which is recognition. It is simply our human nature to expect recogniton for something we work on.
(The need to show and tell others about your accomplishments is what makes us social.)
If you cook for some people you like to hear: well done. If you code for a project, you like to hear: well done. It simply makes you happy :)
Am i wrong?

#9 2006-11-24 09:49:06

marios
Archived Plugin Author

alexandra wrote:

Concerning ‘expectation’: if someone volunteers in an OS project he/she usually has one more or less unconscious expectation which is recognition. It is simply our human nature to expect recogniton for something we work on.

If you cook for some people you like to hear: well done. If you code for a project, you like to hear: well done. It simply makes you happy :)
Am i wrong?

Absolutely right. Without that, there isn’t much you could do. On the other hand, too much of that isn’t good either.

regards, marios

⌃ ⇧ < ⌃ ⇧ >

#10 2006-11-24 13:59:37

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

I was not counting “recognition” under the expectations that I referenced above, that’s (partly) why I used that awkward phrase for expectations. It’s hard to explain, a kind of “I can tell you when I see it” categories of expectations; I’ve been thinking more about it, but I’m afraid I’m not able to nail it any better.

#11 2006-11-30 09:38:39

alexandra

Hi all,

thanks for all the great answers! I just published a poll on the topic (-> ‘good’ OS community) on TXPMag

If you like, please feel free to take part and vote.

Select up to three statements you agree with! Not more than 3 please :).
(I published the poll as i noticed that people on other OS communities really have difficulties nailing it down…)

Last edited by alexandra (2006-11-30 09:41:41)

Board footer