Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#157 2007-02-09 19:02:29

duchamp
Website

Re: [archived] Postmaster -- A simple email-on-post / newsletter manager

benbruce wrote:

duchamp,

• Is the list associated with your subscribers “default”?

Yes, each subscriber is asociated only with the “default” list

• What happens if you do the simplest version of the installation (ie, follow the instructions here) without any forms or any complexity? Does the email arrive?

I’ve folowed that tutorial to start but as I said before, nothing is send it

• What happens if you choose “Test” and not “Yes” on the write tab? Does the mail arrive to your admin email address?

Nope, nothing is send it …

Those are just some first thoughts at figuring out what’s wrong. Ben

————————————————————————————-

I appreciate your help!
I can’t imagine what could be wrong here.
I opened the server error_logs file but there’s nothing wrong asociated with postmaster or something related to textpattern.

PS: A few minutes ago I’ve installed PHPList and works good, but if I can solve the troubles with Postmaster I will be happy to manage the Newsletters through Textpattern! I wish that!

Last edited by duchamp (2007-02-09 20:08:57)

#158 2007-02-09 19:22:54

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

duchamp,

When you go into TXP> EXTENSIONS > POSTMASTER > SUBSCRIBERS and click EDIT next to a subscriber’s name … do you see the email address you entered for them in the appropriate field?

Same with TXP> EXTENSIONS > POSTMASTER > LISTS and click EDIT next to a list’s name … do you see your admin email address in the appropriate field?

I’m just wondering if the information you entered was actually saved to the database?

• Ben

#159 2007-02-09 20:04:53

duchamp
Website

benbruce wrote:

duchamp,

• When you go into TXP> EXTENSIONS > POSTMASTER > SUBSCRIBERS and click EDIT next to a subscriber’s name … do you see the email address you entered for them in the appropriate field?

Yes, everything looks in its right place (all custom fields 1 to 10 are empty)

• Same with TXP> EXTENSIONS > POSTMASTER > LISTS and click EDIT next to a list’s name … do you see your admin email address in the appropriate field?

Everything seems to be allright, the only info that I’m not sure what to write is the “Unsubscribe Url:” I wrote a non existent url there

I’m just wondering if the information you entered was actually saved to the database?

I checked that through PHPMyAdmin, there are two tables: bab_pm_list_prefs and bab_pm_subscribers
both with all the right information about lists and subscribers

Last edited by duchamp (2007-02-09 20:07:43)

#160 2007-02-09 20:27:32

duchamp
Website

Just in case, this are all the Plugins in use:

• ajw_clean_feed 0.2
  • ebl_BatchUpload 1.0
  • gbp_admin_library 0.3
  • gbp_permanent_links 0.9
  • glx_admin_image 2006.2
  • pap_contact_cleaner 0.1
  • Postmaster 0.3
  • Postmaster_library 0.1
  • upm_image 0.4.5
  • upm_img_popper 1.1
  • upm_quicktags 0.4.3
  • zem_contact_lang 4.0.3.5
  • zem_contact_reborn 4.0.3.18

I’ve tried to send some Tests Mails with gbp_permanent_links 0.9 and pap_contact_cleaner 0.1 turned off but there’s no difference, emails aren’t send, I mean … the pop-up opens and the message says that all was good, but emails never arrives at destiny … the admin email is my main email account (that also is in the list of subscribers) the other emails are active gmail & yahoo accounts …

What else? How to trace this to found the error?

Thx

#161 2007-02-14 04:17:18

WebKat

I apologize in advance for asking what may be a dumb question, without reading 16 pages of forum posts, but it’s a simple question and will let me know if this is the plugin for me (if it is, then I’ll read the 16 pages—promise!)

For my mom’s website, we want visitors to be able to subscribe to receive notice (preferably with the text of the article) when new articles are posted to the Events section—and ONLY the Events section. We don’t want people being notified every time any new article is posted. Does Postmaster support this?

Also, for my personal site… does this plugin allow you to do a mailing list that only sends out the mail that you write, not any kind of article notification? Thanks in advance.

WebKat

#162 2007-02-14 17:51:55

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

OpalCat,

Postmaster is capable of sending what you want1 — but the only caveat is that it’s not “section-aware”. You manually choose to email whenever you want (so in your case, you would only send mail when you entered a new Event).

You can set up the emails however you like; they’re totally customizable.

Here is the manual/download link for more information (there is a lot there).

Duchamp,

Sorry I haven’t been able to help you more. I can’t think of any reason — I suspect there’s some piece of info missing. But there is a known issue with the permanent links plugin that is being worked on by Graeme.

• Ben

1 This is assuming that the Events plugin uses the same article database. I think it does, but I’ve never looked at the plugin myself so I don’t know for sure.

#163 2007-02-14 18:17:45

duchamp
Website

benbruce wrote:

Duchamp, Sorry I haven’t been able to help you more. I can’t think of any reason — I suspect there’s some piece of info missing. But there is a known issue with the permanent links plugin that is being worked on by Graeme.

OK Don’t worry, I will try with a fresh textpattern installation in other domain and host. Thx!

#164 2007-02-28 22:40:40

mrdale
Website

>benbruce

I wonder if it might be better to use a standard CSV for the import/export format? Might make importing from other software easier.

#165 2007-03-02 18:17:12

decoderltd
Website

I need to add a series of e-cards to a site I’m working on, but was unsure what plug-in would work best. I thought that zem_contact_reborn might work (and it might!), but it was also suggested that Postmaster could work it’s magic.

The type of card I was looking at would feature on a promotional page, the visitor/sender would fill out a TO, FROM and MESSAGE field. The card would include a link back to the page as a way of increasing traffic/interest. Ideally the card would be sent as a html email but spam prevention would probably cut it’s journey short. Therefore, I think a text only email would be sent to the recipient which then links to the card displayed within a web browser.

Hope all that makes sense! Anyone think this could be a job for Postmaster?

Last edited by decoderltd (2007-03-02 18:17:52)

#166 2007-03-02 21:01:06

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

decoderltd,

You’re asking for something that’s right in between ZCR and Postmaster (which uses ZCR for it’s public subscriptions/unsubscriptions).

PM sends mail — it can be HTML or text, and it’s totally customizable using TXP forms — based on an article in TXP. If you have it installed, there’s a new module that appears on the “write” tab. The ZCR part of it is subscriptions.

So while you want Postmaster’s HTML/text capability (and all the custom data — like the email link back to the article), you really want ZCR to just send the email without the admin having to do anything. This isn’t possible with PM (could be done, but would need some coding).

The hack would be to “moderate.” Set up Postmaster, set up the ZCR forms so that when someone enters an e-card, the admin receives notice [easy]. Then when the admin receives notice, s/he goes into TXP ADMIN and mails the e-card from the write tab (you can literally set up the HTML/text email however you like using forms).

Last edited by benbruce (2007-03-02 21:04:36)

#167 2007-03-02 21:05:30

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

mrdale,

I think that makes a very huge big amount of sense (re: CSV).

• Ben

#168 2007-03-05 10:08:16

decoderltd
Website

benbruce wrote:

The hack would be to “moderate.” Set up Postmaster, set up the ZCR forms so that when someone enters an e-card, the admin receives notice [easy]. Then when the admin receives notice, s/he goes into TXP ADMIN and mails the e-card from the write tab (you can literally set up the HTML/text email however you like using forms).

Thanks for your help Ben, I need to dedicate some time to understanding how plug-ins actually work so that I can make tweaks when needed. Thanks also for your TXPhorum tip on the other post – will look into it.

Board footer