You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-11-05 20:48:24

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

Re: automaticly deleting (expired) articles

rick…excuse… the following…

thoughts on the deletion-on-expire plug:

1. on install there should be a new field in a new table being created, which shall store the expire date entry. (i’ve seen something like that in on eof the wilshire plugs – wasn’t it rss_unlimited_categories..?)

2. similarly to <txp:posted /> there could be a tag <txp:ras_expired_expire /> (or so…) which simply displays the expiration day (yyyy-mm-dd), luxury would be display in different formats (yy-mm-dd / yy.mm.dd / dd.mm.yy / dd.mm.yyyy etc.) – this would be quite handy to display the expiration date next to the article title (good again for classifieds)

3. a direct link from the article/classified itself to delete an article would be handy:
<txp:rss_expired_delete>
delete this article
</txp:rss_expired_delete>

i am poor. but i would pledge some into a ransom for all of this.
yes i would. trying to adapt the necessary php aswell.

janek

A hole turned upside down is a dome, when there’s also gravity.

#14 2006-11-06 01:57:32

rsilletti

I still like the custom field approach because of the built in functionality, given the $thisarticle variables to work with the display per article for expiration could be done. The new table would add a lot in size and overhead depending on how good you are with a query, I’ll try some different ideas and see what I can come up with.

A delete link from the front of the site would be complicated for me with the required callback behaviours, might learn something from it though.

I’d prefer not to ransom what I may not be able to finish in a timely fashion, perhaps a donate link when its complete.

I lot all at once, but some very good ideas.

#15 2006-11-09 07:58:52

rsilletti

New update, still not deleting from the front of the site, but I think I’ve covered most of the other bases.

Plugin Link ras_delete_expired_v4.0.4.3.txt

Info

Last edited by rsilletti (2006-11-10 19:27:14)

#16 2006-11-09 17:25:59

merz1
Website

Just reading the thread with much interest … some thoughts …

May I add a ‘change status’ wish? Deleting content is too cruel in many cases.

If it’s a classified ad then it will probably return again, so a status change to hidden might be useful for reuse.

Somebody else will find the status fixed be very helpful for some time. After that time the article will change ‘back’ to i.e. live.

The next issue might be recurring articles (hey, it’s x-mas again) so you will add a 2nd custom field which creates the possibility for date ranges and recurring events.

Last not least make that thingy header compatible and then schedule driven CSS changes are possible …

As always just my 2c …

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#17 2006-11-09 18:23:24

rsilletti

A set of “set article status to:” tags to be used inside conditionals sounds like a great idea. The head aware capability is available in single article mode, but not in lists. That being an inherent design characteristic with the way delete_articles works, a new plugin would probably be needed.

Thanks

added a set_article_status tag to the current download, has some interesting potential.

Last edited by rsilletti (2006-11-10 15:47:48)

#18 2006-11-10 18:27:10

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

i am completely content already, just to let you know rick, but i’ll follow the thread further on and also will beta test further!

#19 2006-11-10 19:29:04

rsilletti

Thanks jayrope, I’ve a final version done that I’m happy with myself:

Plugin Link ras_delete_expired_v4.0.4.4.txt

Info

let me know if you see any problems.

Last edited by rsilletti (2006-11-12 17:45:07)

#20 2006-11-22 11:23:24

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

(sorry was offline for a week)
rick, this is awesome – i just seen the newest version on the textpattern resources: great job!

#21 2006-11-22 11:32:49

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Another take on expiring articles. Might be of interest for those who’d rather not alter their database to achieve article expiry.

#22 2006-11-22 12:41:30

jayrope
Plugin Author
Website Mastodon

wet, your link target needs registering with the txp-dev list to be visible, as the archives of the list are private, only visible to members.
do you think anyone minds if i reprint the text here? of course i’d obfuscate the author’s email addy or other private data.

Last edited by jayrope (2006-11-22 12:45:07)

#23 2006-11-22 12:56:15

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

jayrope wrote:

wet, your link target needs registering with the txp-dev list to be visible, as the archives of the list are private, only visible to members.

Everybody’s free to enlist.

do you think anyone minds if i reprint the text here?

It’s up to you. I have never read the terms of the mailing list regarding reprints of text, I think. I was under the impression that anybody who could apply that patch to the current development code is on the list anyway.

Last edited by wet (2006-11-22 12:58:16)

#24 2006-11-22 16:20:19

rsilletti

I’ve plugged that patch in and find that it is exactly what is needed at this point. The deficiencies in the present plugins are obvious and the patch provides a much better solution with a much better future. IMHO its time to revisit the expire article field in the textpattern table feature and wet’s patch provides for a robust interface for other development as well.

What Mary fixed in txp:posted Rev 2094 was carried over into txp:expire in the patch, given that fix all seems to work perfectly.

Last edited by rsilletti (2006-11-22 16:27:24)

Board footer