Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#121 2006-12-26 19:02:58

maniqui
Website

Re: gbp_permanent_links

Hi graeme.
I was about to do some rewriting/redirecting by using some mod_rewrite rules in .htaccess. Specifically, I was going to re-save some articles URL_title (because I wanted to manually add the product category in the article URL_title for SEO purposes) and then, add some new rules to .htaccess so all the /section/old-article-url-title were going to be rewritten as /section/new-article-url-title-including-the-category-keyword.

But it seems that your plug-in would let me do the job easily for having URLs like /section/category/title.

That’s great. Many thanks!

Now, some little problems:

graeme wrote:

The redirect to permanent link option allows you to change your existing permlink mode but instead of throwing a 404 error when someone loads an out-of-date url it will automatically redirect (HTTP status code 301) them to article changing the url they see in the browser to the defined permlink rule.

The line in bold doesn’t seems to be working for me.

I have created a simple /section/category/title permlink rule and it’s working like a charm.
The problem is that the old URLs (section/title) are still working
So, I have two URLs (the old and the new) working at the same time and I’m afraid that this could be a problem for search engines if they consider them as duplicated content and apply any penalization to the site.
Also, if they don’t penalize me, I still want that, with the time, the old URLs get removed from search engines results and replaced by the new ones. But that’s another story.
Any ideas why the redirect-and-rewriting isn’t working? It seems the rewrite isn’t being forced.

Now, some other questions:

1. How does the HTTP location input (under Redirects this permanent link…) works?
2. I have seen that you can choose the custom field by using a dropdown. Could something similar be applied for the category? I mean, right now, /category/ is always replaced by category1.

Feature request:

It would be great to have the ability of customize the URLs even a little more.
In a products page, I would like to have /section/category-title instead of /section/category/title.
So, the idea is to have the ability of “merging” (or choosing the separator) between each part of the permanent link.
Well, this are just loud thoughts.

Thanks graeme!

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#122 2006-12-26 23:52:20

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

Andrew wrote:

Any update on the feed link bug? :)

Yes – gbp_permanent_links v0.12a :D

#123 2006-12-27 00:04:24

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

Any ideas why the redirect-and-rewriting isn’t working? It seems the rewrite isn’t being forced.

It’s working for me, is it possible to get some plugin debugging output

1. How does the HTTP location input (under Redirects this permanent link…) works?

This lets you redirct to any web address, eg www.yourdomain.com/flickr could link to your flickr account.

2. I have seen that you can choose the custom field by using a dropdown. Could something similar be applied for the category? I mean, right now, /category/ is always replaced by category1.

Category2 is used if Category1 id empty. Not ideal – I’ll change this to how the custom field dropdown works.

It would be great to have the ability of customize the URLs even a little more.
In a products page, I would like to have /section/category-title instead of /section/category/title.
So, the idea is to have the ability of “merging” (or choosing the separator) between each part of the permanent link.
Well, this are just loud thoughts.

Interesting idea. Infact this was possible use gbp_permanent_links predecessor, gbp_faux_static. But these plugins work completely differently – it would require some big change to the current code. Not saying it won’t happen, as I like the idea, but it will take a while before I can give this any time.

#124 2006-12-28 19:27:52

maniqui
Website

I’m still making my head around the use of this plug-in but the possibilities with this plug-in seem to be endless :D

I would like to know which is the best way of applying a built permanent link to more than one section (but not to all sections).

Right now, under Conditions just one section can be selected per each permanent link.
So, I will have to built twice the same permalink to apply it to a second section, and three times for three sections… etc.
Of course, there may be a reason for this to be that way by now.
Maybe, this can replaced by one checkbox per section.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#125 2006-12-28 19:29:38

Andrew
Plugin Author

Right on, graeme, looks to have resolved my issues.

Two extremely small things: you forgot to bump the plugin version in the source (still reads v0.11) and there are a couple php notices of undefined indexes you may or may not feel like silencing :)

All in all, this plugin’s looking damn good!

#126 2006-12-28 21:05:59

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

I would like to know which is the best way of applying a built permanent link to more than one section (but not to all sections).

Right now, under Conditions just one section can be selected per each permanent link.
So, I will have to built twice the same permalink to apply it to a second section, and three times for three sections… etc.
Of course, there may be a reason for this to be that way by now.
Maybe, this can replaced by one checkbox per section.

This has been on my todo list for a while. Your the first person who’s wanted this so I might try get it implemented sooner rather than later.

Andrew wrote:

Two extremely small things: you forgot to bump the plugin version in the source (still reads v0.11) and there are a couple php notices of undefined indexes you may or may not feel like silencing :)

Both should already be fixed… I’m changing the way that I number the prerelease versions of my plugins, here are the latest:
gbp_admin_library v0.04.515
gbp_permanent_links v0.11.515

New features to gbp_permanent_links:
  • Ability to specify the primary category for category components.
  • Small bug fixes and better debugging.

There are a load of new features to gbp_admin_library which are required for the upcoming release of the MLP

Last edited by graeme (2006-12-28 21:12:21)

#127 2006-12-28 22:22:43

Andrew
Plugin Author

One thing that might be a good thing to write up in a faq when you compose the documentation would be an answer to the question “why am I not seeing my custom URL format appearing in my visitor logs?” If I had to guess, I’d say that it’s because the plugin is mapping values over to what currently is set in Admin->Preferences. Is this correct? It’s a little disorienting, but I don’t really rely on Textpattern visitor logs for much so it’s ok :)

Thanks for all your hard work on this plugin, btw!

#128 2006-12-29 01:29:26

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

Andrew wrote:

One thing that might be a good thing to write up in a faq when you compose the documentation would be an answer to the question “why am I not seeing my custom URL format appearing in my visitor logs?” If I had to guess, I’d say that it’s because the plugin is mapping values over to what currently is set in Admin->Preferences. Is this correct? It’s a little disorienting, but I don’t really rely on Textpattern visitor logs for much so it’s ok :)

I don’t use Txp’s visitors log either, I’m sure someone does so here goes: gbp_permanent_links v0.11.516 – I implemented proper visitor logging :)

I will be starting on the documentation soon, as I think version 1.0 might be able to go out soon. Any ideas on what people might get caught out on? Any other questions for a FAQ list?

Thanks for all your hard work on this plugin, btw!

Thanks for your recent feedback and bug reports. It’s great getting someone to look at this with a fresh pair of eyes.

#129 2006-12-29 01:37:10

minimal design

In terms of documentation, other than explaining each option in the prefs panel etc… It would be great to get examples of the kind of things you can do by creating new rules under the creation tab. I think I get it, but at the same time, I feel like I might be missing some of the more advance type stuff you can do with this sick plug in (sick as in “baaaaad” … as in “freakin awesome!” you know what I mean ;)

#130 2006-12-29 05:44:03

Andrew
Plugin Author

Hm… I think that latest update may have broken something. Maybe I’m imagining something though? From my homepage, now the sidebar links show the default admin/preferences permanent link format instead of the custom permanent link format. From inside pages or any individual article, the permanent links are formatted correctly by gpb_permanent_links.

I’m not really sure why there would be a difference between the two pages. Nothing really tricky is going on and both pages include this in the sidebar:

<txp:article_custom form="*recent_articles" limit="15"  sort="posted desc" />

which contains this:

<li><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></li>

Last edited by Andrew (2006-12-29 05:54:03)

#131 2006-12-29 05:45:36

Andrew
Plugin Author

One note, the links redirect correctly to my custom permanent link format, <txp:permlink> just outputs the incorrect link on the homepage.

#132 2006-12-29 08:56:57

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

Andrew wrote:

Hm… I think that latest update may have broken something. Maybe I’m imagining something though? From my homepage, now the sidebar links show the default admin/preferences permanent link format instead of the custom permanent link format. From inside pages or any individual article, the permanent links are formatted correctly by gpb_permanent_links.

I’m not really sure why there would be a difference between the two pages. Nothing really tricky is going on and both pages include this in the sidebar:

Completely my fault. I should stop coding while tied. The different between the two pages; is that one is matched a custom permilink rule. The homepage is not so things have to work slightly different internally.

This fixes it gbp_permanent_links v0.11.517

Board footer