Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2007-10-05 08:43:57

Timid&friendly
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_auto_excerpt

Great plugin. Many thx

I occasionally don’t need an auto excerpt generated as I write it manually in the excerpt field. Great!

The problem
When i do this a “readmore” link is generated that doesn’t adhere to the specified rss_auto_excerpt settings
<txp:rss_auto_excerpt length="400" wrapreadmore="1" linkwraptag="" linkclass="morelink" ending="... " linktext="Read more" />

Despite the (wrapreadmore=“1”) attribute the link is still not wrapped in the last closing tag of the excerpt

Real example
http://meanttoshine.org/weblog/categories/?c=Nieuws

My failure :-(
It seems that either the rss_auto_excerpt is not working or the styling for the manual excerpt field is set elsewhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

EDIT
I noticed that the endings is also failing when this occurs

Last edited by Timid&friendly (2007-10-20 08:04:47)

I think, therefore I AM, … … er … I think :-?

#98 2007-11-10 23:39:04

typeshige
Website

I tried to see if this was posted before, but I’m having a small problem with this plug-in.

This plugin doesn’t process txp tags. I have articles with < txp:upm_image …. / > (minus the excess spaces) and in the HTML source, it just shows the txp tag without parsing it.

Is this an option with this plugin.

I hope this made sense.

Thanks,
Shige

#99 2007-11-11 16:03:29

merz1
Website

It is not allowed in standard TXP to nest tags into each other. Check the asy_wondertag plugin in this forum.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#100 2007-11-11 16:14:38

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Nesting tags can cause parsing errors, but in this case the excerpt isn’t parsed, which is a different problem. To fix it, the plugin would have to parse first and then generate the excerpt (doing it the other way around is… non-trivial).

#101 2007-11-22 17:52:34

fuls
Website

I’m sorry if this has been posted before I’m in a rush.

I have both body and excerpt inside article. I need auto excerpt with word length, but all I get is default full excerpt ( is there a way to cut words from default excerpt?).

Thanks

Last edited by fuls (2007-11-22 18:04:44)

#102 2008-02-01 11:52:52

the_ghost
Plugin Author
Website

fuls wrote:

I have both body and excerpt inside article. I need auto excerpt with word length, but all I get is default full excerpt ( is there a way to cut words from default excerpt?).

Use overrideexcerpt="1"

Providing help in hacking ATM! Come to courses and don’t forget to bring us notebook and hammer! What for notebook? What a kind of hacker you are without notebok?

#103 2008-02-14 20:42:27

makason
Website

Did anybody find a workaround to use rss_auto_excerpt for meta description when articles contain <txp:image /> tags in the beginning of the body?

Sorry, please disgard the above. New version of plugin works perfect. Thanks Rob

<code>
<meta name=“description” content=”<txp:rss_auto_excerpt words=“30” overrideexcerpt=“1” striptags=“1” showlinkwithexcerpt=“0” stripbreakstabs=“1” excerptwraptag=”“ ending=”…” />” />
</code>

Last edited by makason (2008-02-14 21:23:13)

#104 2008-03-29 12:57:10

jakob
Admin
Website

feragnoli wrote:

I can’t manage to wrap the excerpt in a <span> rather than in <p>.
when I set excerptwraptag="span" he just spits: <span><p> . . . . . </p></span> .

If you want striptags="1" to also strip tags from real excerpts, add the line marked below to the plug-in code just after the if there’s a real excerpt use it bit (around line 34):

// if the article has an excerpt, show it
		if ($excerpt != '' && !$overrideexcerpt) {
// add this line here:
			$excerpt = ($striptags) ? strip_tags($excerpt) : $excerpt;

This way your authors don’t need to remember to add a space or to switch off textile for the excerpts.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#105 2008-04-29 06:15:23

slaizer

Any pro’s here? I need help. I can’t get the darned thing to work. :/

I’ve tried to do it for a good three hours now, and I’m just about ready to give up. :( The problem is, each article needs a picture, an embedded flash music player and a paragraph of text to show on the main page (as a preview), with a “read more” link to the real page, which has the same picture and same player but the full article.

No matter what I try, it either cuts off the text, duplicates the player or does nothing.

How in the hell do I do this?

Last edited by slaizer (2008-04-29 06:16:05)

#106 2008-04-29 11:28:20

merz1
Website

1. The code for your rss_auto_excerpt excerpt please.
  2. The code for the article form might help too
  3. Do you use striptags?

If you use ‘striptags’ then you might have to exclude some tags from being stripped.

You can edit the plug-in code:

$body = ($striptags) ? strip_tags($body, '<h4>') : $body;
  • Check out the PHP documentation about strip_tags
  • strip_tags($body, '<h4>') i.e. excludes h4 from being stripped

For my homepage I am using

<div class="excerpts_home">
<txp:rss_auto_excerpt length="260" linktext="Mehr &hellip;" ending="&hellip;" overrideexcerpt="1" striptags="1" linkwraptag="strong" excerptwraptag="p" />
</div>

Note: excerptwraptag="p" is not working in my example (if you check the source code) but I don’t care. To see the output check out my homepage.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#107 2008-05-31 13:08:12

WebKat

This may have been covered already but I’m going on about 4 hours of fitful sleep. Is there a way to make it strip out images only? I use this to display a list of recent posts to my LiveJournal with an excerpt, which works great except when I post a picture in my LJ. The space where I have the list doesn’t have room to fit pictures. Also usually when I post pictures I use LJ’s “cut” tag to place the image behind a link rather than having it display automatically, but obviously this LJ-only tag is not understood by Txp and so I’ll get a big image showing, messing up my layout. In this case I’d like to just have it remove any image tags, but not strip all html… possible?

WebKat

#108 2008-06-20 08:19:52

BattleGoddess

Greetings,

I’m a newbie concerning Textpattern, and I’m slowly working my around it, but I’m having a problem with rss_auto_excerpt. I’m rebuilding our Books in Review area to make it easier for reviewers to post their reviews on our website.

Below is what I use for my article_listing form — excerpts.

<txp:if_article_list>
<h3><txp:permlink><txp:title /></txp:permlink></h3>
<txp:rss_auto_excerpt words="65" skiplength=“500” overrideexcerpt=“1” linktext="Read more" ending="..." striptags=“1” />
</txp:if_article_list>

However, no matter what I “skip”, be it length, words or paragraphs, I can’t skip the first few words (the book info: publishing date, publisher, page count, etc.) to auto excerpt part of the actual review.

The book cover, and info are in tables, so I had to strip the tags to skip the image. But I can’t seem to skip the rest.

Real Example:
Historical Romance Club

I do have TinyMCE version 0.7.4 plugin installed, if that makes any difference.

Any help in this matter is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Board footer