Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-08-08 16:22:06

masa

Re: EBL_BatchUpload plugin preview

ma_smith wrote:

the link should be at the top of the images page […]

Actually since it’s appearing in a pop-up window I think it could be handy to have a link in the Write tab, too.

Cheers Martin

#14 2006-08-10 16:54:06

guiguibonbon

Very very nice. Flash seems to be the only solution for real batch uploading, we’re very lucky to have someone around who can actually make it. I wonder if a pop-up is really needed, why not just embedding the flash next to the single upload, and maybe make it “retractable” (it shows up when you click on the title- though i doubt that might be hard with flash). On the UI side of things, it didn’t seem obvious to me that you can click on “browse” more than once, with the new selected files being added to the list. I expected them to replace the previous ones. Also, the “create new category”-thing, while being extremely handy, is a bit disturbing. It feels as if you should click on something to add it to the list and it being selected before actually uploading. You now have the feeling the images could have two categories applied. I could think of ajax solutions to this but have no idea what flash enables you to do in that perspective.

Out of curiousity, in which extent could the flash file interact with javascript in the rest of the page? I’m just wondering if some of the plugin couldn’t remain in php/html/javascript, and only keep the strict minum required things in flash (presumably only the “browse” button).

#15 2006-08-13 22:45:01

TheEric
Plugin Author

Update

I’ve solved some of the hounding issues I’ve had with the GET/POST variables not being passed to the php file, and I am now working again on the UI and php backend that will handle the thumbnail creation and image resizing.

I would estimate another two weeks until I’m completed with this plugin.

guiguibonbon wrote:

Also, the “create new category”-thing, while being extremely handy, is a bit disturbing. It feels as if you should click on something to add it to the list and it being selected before actually uploading.

Agreed. I wasn’t happy with that either, and have since removed it and allowed for a user-editable combobox field where the user can input a new category that doesn’t exist. My challenge now, making it obvious that the user can do that.

Out of curiousity, in which extent could the flash file interact with javascript in the rest of the page? I’m just wondering if some of the plugin couldn’t remain in php/html/javascript, and only keep the strict minum required things in flash (presumably only the “browse” button).

Some people hate flash, some people hate javascript.

I loathe javascript and merely dislike Flash (I’de rather it be used soley for web applications like this.)

Seriously, I’m sure it can be done, but in all honesty, why? I’de rather everything be tidied together in one simple .swf. A large .js file, plus the .swf, plus the php backend isn’t very efficient. (at least in my opinion)

#16 2006-08-14 10:59:55

guiguibonbon

TheEric wrote:

I loathe javascript and merely dislike Flash (I’de rather it be used soley for web applications like this.) Seriously, I’m sure it can be done, but in all honesty, why? I’de rather everything be tidied together in one simple .swf. A large .js file, plus the .swf, plus the php backend isn’t very efficient. (at least in my opinion)

I could see a few advantages :

customisation : swf can’t be edited. Maybe you intend to distribute the fla file too. But even then, it seems to me more people (at least txp-users) are fluent in javascript, html and css than in flash and actionscript.

consistency : think of when textpattern will support themes for its back-end. And even before that, wouldn’t a flash interface clash with the rest of the back-end?

developpement : more people could help you debug and/or improve it

You may also consider the fact that a javascript library will very likely be added to the next big release (crockery currently has JQuery installed). Which means the js file would likely not be that large.

All of this being said, i really don’t want to discourage you. Continue in flash, let’s see what it can bring us, and maybe a little later we can imagine splitting the plug-in.

#17 2006-08-14 12:13:57

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

I’m have the Shockwave Flash plugin installed, but only version 7, because unfortunately that’s the most recent version available for Linux. Is there a specific reason why Flash 8 is needed for this plugin?

#18 2006-08-14 12:57:18

TheEric
Plugin Author

Yes.

Flash 8 is required for this functionality because of the addition of FileReference and FileReferenceList. Without Flash 8, multiple uploads will not work. When / If Adobe releases a linux port, I can’t say….

#19 2006-08-14 14:36:23

TheEric
Plugin Author

guiguibonbon wrote:

customisation : swf can’t be edited. Maybe you intend to distribute the fla file too. But even then, it seems to me more people (at least txp-users) are fluent in javascript, html and css than in flash and actionscript.

I looked further into it, and it is quite possible (relatively easy) to accomplish. I’ll keep it in mind for any subsequent release after this one (provided there is enough demand for it)

#20 2006-08-16 14:21:13

Mike Montgomery
Website

This sounds very promising.
Hope we can start ransoming it soon for release.

#21 2006-08-19 20:43:22

TheEric
Plugin Author

UPDATE

I largely have completed the main interface, and have finalized all the actionscript that makes the backend work. All the remains is to write the actual TXP plugin that moves, resizes, thumbnails, and imports the uploaded images.

An updated preview of the movie file can be found here

Please note: This preview will respond as if you were uploading, resizing, and thumbnailing a total of four images, no matter how many you really do select to upload. It will upload your images, but the backend is set to delete any uploaded images and return false data to the movie file. I did this because I had some people upload some rather, questionable images with my previous example.

#22 2006-08-19 22:02:06

masa

Eric,

that looks excellent!

I noticed a little glitch regarding the tab order in the resize field: after filling in the height and tabbing to the next field, it skips over the width and selects the thumbnail height instead.

As a side note, I don’t know if it’s just me, but I’m used to see the width value before the height.

After uploading a single image I was presented with a <a href=“http://www.simnet.is/klipklap/samples/ebl/”>listing of 4 images</a> for some reason – it seemed a little odd.

In case it makes any difference, I’m on Mac, FF 1.5.

Cheers Martin

PS: the minimal progress bar is a very nice touch!

Last edited by masa (2006-08-19 22:04:02)

#23 2006-08-19 22:15:24

TheEric
Plugin Author

masa wrote:

I noticed a little glitch regarding the tab order in the resize field: after filling in the height and tabbing to the next field, it skips over the width and selects the thumbnail height instead.

Good catch. I hadn’t noticed the tab order yet. That’ll be fixed before being released.

After uploading a single image I was presented with a <a href=“http://www.simnet.is/klipklap/samples/ebl/”>listing of 4 images</a> for some reason – it seemed a little odd.

_Please note: *This preview will respond as if you were uploading, resizing, and thumbnailing a total of four images, no matter how many you really do select to upload. *It will upload your images, but the backend is set to delete any uploaded images and return false data to the movie file. I did this because I had some people upload some rather, questionable images with my previous example.

I know. I have it set to respond like that right now, if it were set as normal, it would respond with the correct file info. It’s not saving your uploaded images, and is set to respond as if you were uploading four. It’s only for a preview of the flash file for right now.

Last edited by TheEric (2006-08-19 22:15:42)

#24 2006-08-19 22:22:01

masa

TheEric wrote:

I know. I have it set to respond like that right now, if it were set as normal, it would respond with the correct file info.

Yes, that makes sense – never mind then :-)

Board footer