Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2006-10-27 00:16:44

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

Shadowkahn, I have the same Sony and it’s a hopeless case, trust me. I would just run Windows on it and pass it down to a family member like I’ve done. Actually it’s best to run Windows 98 on it, cause Sony didn’t port their fan control software to XP, so it’s a rather loud machine. I did find that Speedfan works to slow down the fan on it, if you do want to run XP.

Since I needed to blow the leaves this afternoon, I decided to update the laptop to Ubuntu Edgy Eft from Dapper. Kept checking in every so often, it took about 2 hours to complete the process, the repositories were rather busy.

• 91 packages removed
  • 197 new packages
  • 764 packages upgraded
  • 583M downloaded

Coming to you from:
Linux hcg 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP Fri Oct 13 15:34:39 UTC 2006 ×86_64 GNU/Linux

Using of course:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20060601 Firefox/2.0 (Ubuntu-edgy)

Gnome looks mucho nice, all I can say it’s living on the edge so to speak. If you’re a new user, stick with Dapper for the time being, if you’re an experienced user, do have fun :)

Thank you for your interest in Ubuntu 6.10 – the Edgy Eft – released in October 2006.

Ubuntu is an entirely open source operating system built around the Linux kernel. The Ubuntu community is built around the ideals enshrined in the Ubuntu Philosophy: that software should be available free of charge, that software tools should be usable by people in their local language and despite any disabilities, and that people should have the freedom to customize and alter their software in whatever way they see fit.

#50 2006-10-27 04:45:53

Shadowkahn

Thank you for the quick response hcgtv, the only reason I wished to install ubuntu on the Sony Vaio PCV-L640 was so it could be used in the kitchen as a ‘recipe’ computer lol. Surprisingly, I installed XP on this computer a few years ago, and it had been making the rounds from one family member to another (with no fan issue for some reason – I believe I found a driver on a japanese ftp for the fan that worked with Windows XP). But sadly as pristine as computer can leave the home it comes back scarred by users who used it (to the best of my knowledge) as a old vcr. The fact that one individual lost the original disc for the computer made it critical for me to try to save the little gray box. I did play around with DSL (D*mn Small Linux) on the computer earlier today, and it was able to work rather well. But I really wanted to install Ubuntu on the computer – taking your advice though I was going to give up on the whole fixing of the 5.10 x-server issue I was suffering from.

But I came across someone with a completely different setup that made me think of trying what they did to fix the “X-server failed” issue. I ‘sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg’ and manually setup the drivers of the ATI to that for vesa (I know I know – but it works!) and now it is working fine under 5.10… Probably won’t bother to upgrade to the 6.06 or 6.10 – since this is a rather old computer that has seen too much of the world already.
Thanks for the advice though.

#51 2006-10-28 11:14:08

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Edgy is very nice. For the update was definitely worth it. Skype now works for me finally without audio-problems (was apparently related to alsa on Dapper in conncetion with my hardware, or so I read), bootup and shutdown times have improved noticably for me, Firefox2 is included, I was able to install XGL/beryl without any fiddling – and wow, does it make a difference, and I ony have Intel onbaord i915 graphics chip. Aero looks weak compared to it. See the demo:
Gnome with XGL

ALso nothing broke for me after the upgrade (there was one problem with a small utility called atop that I had installed). I am really glad I didn’t wait… ;)

#52 2006-11-03 00:25:46

maniqui
Website

Finally, I did a fresh install of Ubuntu Edgy 6.10.

I would bet that something went silently wrong: it is running very slow for me after a cold boot.
Very slow = it takes like 5-10 (or even more) seconds to run/open a process/window like a terminal or run a command-line like “gedit /etc/network/interfaces/” , or GAIM or “System > Preferences > About Me”

That didnt happen to me with 6.06 and neither with 6.10 LiveCD!
Things in LiveCD ran much faster (yes, I know that RAM is faster than HDD but I would say that there is definitly a problem)

I will report back after reinstalling it.

Also, if nothing changes, I will do a fresh install of 6.06 and then upgrade.

Sencer, did you do a fresh install or an upgrade? I understand you did the later.
edit: yes, it seems that you upgraded . You’re a lucky man! ;)
An upgrade is “exactly” the same than a fresh install? what should I expect?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by maniqui (2006-11-03 00:50:51)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#53 2006-11-03 00:52:10

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

Also, if nothing changes, I will do a fresh install of 6.06 and then upgrade.

No, a fresh install is much better. My upgrade had it’s issues and other users on the Ubuntu forums have reported problems with an upgrade also.

Don’t know why it would be slow, but keep in mind that a lot changed from Dapper.

#54 2006-11-03 07:32:18

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

Yes, like hcgtv said, you should not install the older version to upgrade. Either stick with 6.06 if that works better for you, or try to troubleshoot what’s causing the problems in 6.10 by asking on the ubuntu forums.

I can’t see how (i.e., why) using the system woud be slower with edgy than with dapper. The ony difference as noted is in boot-time, and that has actually went noticably down with edgy.

#55 2006-11-03 12:50:44

maniqui
Website

Ok, guy, thanks both for your advices.

I will try a new clean install. If it keeps running slow, i will re-install 6.06 and keep with it.

Also, I have created another partition to try different distros.
Any recommendation?

#56 2006-11-03 15:47:14

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

Also, I have created another partition to try different distros.
Any recommendation?

Debian Etch (netinst CD image) – http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
SUSE Linux 10.1 (Internet Installation Boot Image) – http://download.opensuse.org/

#57 2006-11-03 16:20:31

maniqui
Website

Thanks hcgtv.

What is an “Internet Installation Boot Image” exactly?
A low-weight .iso with minimun software so then you connect to the Internet for getting the full thing?

#58 2006-11-03 17:01:08

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

maniqui, since things change so rapidly on Linux distros and I have a speedy broadband connection, I always do a network install. The iso is smaller and has just enough to install a base system and then you pick and choose what you want to install afterwards.

Linux is the kind of operating system that once installed, evolves over time, unlike Windows where we got into the habit of wiping it off and installing anew. On my home server, I’ve gone from Debian Sarge, to Sid and back to Etch without affecting my configs or data.

#59 2006-11-03 23:57:18

NyteOwl

I personally prefer Slackware though I also use Debian.

My neighbour uses SuSE and is happy with it. I see SuSE is “getting in bed” with Microsoft so it’s future could be stormy.

Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination. / 36-bits Forever! / #include <disclaimer.h>;

#60 2006-11-14 00:53:53

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Since I wasn’t too thrilled with Ubuntu Edgy, I was going to go back to Dapper anyway.

Last night I read that Debian Etch RC1 was coming out and it did today, so I grabbed the netinst for amd64 and wrote over Edgy this afternoon.

When the CD booted, I didn’t hit the F1 key, so I guess I need a switch to go into graphical install mode because I pressed enter and was greeted with text based mode. So I went ahead anyway and did the install the old fashioned way but it was surprisingly quick. I picked Desktop, laptop and base systems and 650 packages were downloaded and installed. Grub recognized the Windows partition and it installed to the MBR. Rebooted and went into Etch, was met with GDM and signed on to Gnome.

The system just flies, feels better than Ubuntu for some reason, can’t put my finger on it. Now the one place that Ubuntu shines are the fonts, so on Etch you have to go in tweak some settings to get Firefox to look good. At this stage, I can’t quite understand why Debian doesn’t make the out of box experience nicer.

I’ll keep Etch running on the laptop and play with it some, I have it running on my server already but I wanted to try out the installer.

Board footer