Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-07-18 10:25:41

dubh
Website

Re: Using TextMate Blogging Bundle with Textpattern

Just as a note to any followers on this path: after doing the fix in the other thread referenced a couple times above, make sure that you not only have the latest version of the blogging bundle (via svn) and also the latest “cutting edge” version of TextMate.

If only I’d looked at the screencast earlier…! :-)

And don’t forget the TextMate Wiki for more support…

Last edited by dubh (2006-07-18 10:28:05)

Alan Macdougall — http://halfpie.net/

#26 2006-08-17 17:52:35

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

Did anyone ever get any further with this? I see that a couple of folks (dubh and dylanism) seem to have this working, but I just can’t make it work, myself.

I’m using the latext blogging bundle, cutting edge TextMate, and the xmlrpc with the content-type fix applied. I can fetch posts successfully from my Txp blog, but can’t save any changes to existing posts — no errors when I do that, but changes aren’t saved, either. And when I try to create a new post, I get “Error: problem_creating_article (201)”. This all happens with various ways of specifying the blog endpoint — I understand the blog bundle now supports the #blogid suffix, but I get no joy from anything I’ve tried there.

-Alan

#27 2006-08-21 00:13:43

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

I thought I’d reply with a few of the things I’ve done/tried to get this up and running.

The first thing I did is set up a fresh Txp blog, install the rpc files, and set up a new blog in the bundle with the endpoint of http://name@mydomain/blog/rpc/index.php#article. Lo and behold, it works perfectly! I can fetch-update and write new posts to that new blog without any problems whatsoever.

I proceeded to spend what my wife thinks is an inappropriate amount of time trying to track down whatever difference existed between my old Txp blog and the new installation.

• I selectively deactivated plugins — nothing. I get the same behavior as in my prior post.
  • I installed all the plugins from my old install to the new one — no change, the new one still functions fine.
  • I stepped through all the preferences and plugin settings that I could find, making sure they matched and changing any that I thought might make a difference in the ability for the blog bundle to update/make a new post. I was neither able to break the functionality with the new blog or make it work with the old blog.
  • I moved .htaccess out of the way on the old blog — no change
  • I’ve only made a couple of tiny changes to the txp code, to include tags in my feeds. I copied the two changed files (atom.php and rss.php) into the new blog’s publish/ directory. No change; they don’t break it, either.
  • There’s got to be something about the old install that is munging the blog bundle’s ability to post/update. I backed up the root of the new blog, copied my entire old root directory to the location of the new blog, and copied the backed up config.php back into place. Nothing. I can’t break the new blog, no matter what I do. What is as far as I can tell, basically a mirror of my old blog, operating on a different database and in a different location, works with the bundle.

So, with all things being made equal as far as I can determine, I get nothing. I’ve run out of ideas, except for the possibility that there’s something at the server level that is shutting me out: The primary blog (that doesn’t work) is at the root of my main hosting account on textdrive, so ~/public_html/textpattern; the second blog that works perfectly no matter how I try to confound it, is in ~/domains/domain/public_html/blog/textpattern. If whatever makes that difference was affected by something I could control, however, I think I would have stumbled on it by moving .htaccess. Regardless, I lack the juju to diagnose/fix at that level.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that I haven’t tried is over-writing my old install with a completely fresh one, and I suppose I should give that a try. But if there were something about my current installation that were breaking the bundle, I’d expect that the last step above (copying the old install over the new) would have broken the bundle’s functioning with the new txp install.

I’m told that I have to eat dinner now or never again. Perhaps this will inspire some of the thread’s prior participants to poke around again and see what they can see.

-Alan

#28 2006-08-21 17:58:58

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

I still haven’t got it working. I’m not sure where the problem lies. I haven’t tried using the blogging bundle with a clean TxP site. I’ll try that tonight.

#29 2006-08-25 14:32:39

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

Any luck, Ramanan? fingers crossed

-Alan

#30 2006-09-03 10:39:52

dubh
Website

I’ve got it working, but am still having no luck with the section ID issue – even though I set the end point to the usual rpc URL plus #article to indicate the section, the posting still ends up with a section ID of “0”.

If I get some time I should try testing the thing out on my localhost test blog.

Alan Macdougall — http://halfpie.net/

#31 2006-11-07 03:46:32

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

So does anyone have this working? I am curious.

#32 2006-11-18 21:44:15

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

Well, I for one never got it working. As I wrote a while back, I could make it work with a fresh textpattern site, but not my old site, and I don’t have the slightest idea why.

-Alan

#33 2006-11-20 21:07:47

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

That is strange. Damn. I wish I could get it working. It’d be so handy.

Board footer