Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-05-29 08:20:32

TheUsability

Re: Stickyness w/ TXP:Newer / Older

@mary: Again, what I wanted to do is display the sticky article ONLY on the front page, not in the respective section. Your tip w/ if_section did the trick, though, since it’s possible to select the front page with name=”“. Great, thanks!

There’s one more idea, though: Would it be possible to display the sticky article on the front page as the first one (as I do now) and get it listed in regular working order in the section? (That’s basically what I wanted to have anyway, as it turns out now.)

With my current method (if_section), the sticky article really only appears on the front page.

Cheers,
_TU

#14 2006-05-29 09:11:07

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

No, I didn’t mean the searchable index but the results list (excerpts).

? I’m still confused. (So what else is knew…)

Would it be possible to display the sticky article on the front page as the first one (as I do now) and get it listed in regular working order in the section?

Not by using a sticky, no. That’s because sticky articles are intended to actually be separate from the rest of the articles, like they’re a different “type” than the rest of the live articles. You’d need to make that article live and find another method to have it display at the top of the list. What purpose does the article in question serve?

#15 2006-05-29 09:23:28

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Mary wrote:

? I’m still confused. (So what else is knew…)

Sorry. I’ll try to explain in more depth.

A plain page template (as it is shipped with txp out of the box) may contain nothing more than one single txp:article tag which does all the work (single article pages, listings, display of search results).

Now, add one sticky article in order to have a simple introduction on your site’s home page.

This sticky article is also rendered on the search results page no matter whether its content contains the search term or not. This was unexpected behaviour for me, being a novice back in the ol’ days. An article showing as the very first element of a search result list despite no matching terms are found —> Must be a bug :-(

Later on I learned about txp:if_search, which led me to the pattern I am using now and which I never questioned ever since.

Last edited by wet (2006-05-29 18:55:57)

#16 2006-05-29 09:34:34

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

@Robert: Ahh, now I gotcha.

Board footer