Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-05-24 14:17:23

florida_guy

Re: Why haven't I heard of TextPattern?

NyteOwl wrote:

Just insert a blank line where you would normally use a close quote tag and place a bq. at the start of the next block you want to quote.

O.K. so I should have asked that specific question earlier

As I did with this one. :-)

Thanks!

It took me a bit to get used to Textile too. It has both benefits and drawbacks.

I’m wondering why it isn’t easier to just use a tool like Homesite or Dreamweaver where you can select text and then clcik a bold button for instance.

#38 2006-05-25 17:58:39

Destry
Website

florida_guy wrote:

I look forward to part two. Thanks for writing part one.

Glad it worked. I’m nearly done with part 2…been getting a lot of inquiries about that lately.

I’m wondering why it isn’t easier to just use a tool like Homesite or Dreamweaver where you can select text and then clcik a bold button for instance.

Personally speaking, it’s all about speed. I can format an article by hand, using Textile and a free text editor, twice as fast (or more) than using something clunky like Dreamweaver. Someone else might point out too that you have to buy those things you mention while my way is free, man, fast and free! Furthermore, it’s considerably easier to read text when formatted with Textile as opposed to regular HTML. That’s a difference because DW would leave your text with HTML syntax, so when you ever went back to edit it, you’d have to swim through it too. With Textile, it’s almost like you are editing straight text. Nice and clean.

By the way, I think there is a plugin that gives you graphic editing buttons like you describe, rigt in the editing tab of the admin interface. I don’t recall what it’s called though.

#39 2006-05-26 00:20:20

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Could it be hak_tinymce ?

Steve

#40 2006-05-26 12:19:14

hakjoon
Website

hak_tinymce is a full wysiwyg editor (well as wysiwyg as any of these editors are).

There is also upm_quicktags which gives you a wordpres style quicktags for the write, page and forms screens. There is a partially complete textile implementation for it, so the buttons give you textile code (link and image buttons still generate html).

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#41 2006-05-26 13:16:02

florida_guy

Destry wrote:

Personally speaking, it’s all about speed. I can format an article by hand, using Textile and a free text editor, twice as fast (or more) than using something clunky like Dreamweaver.

good point

Someone else might point out too that you have to buy those things you mention while my way is free, man, fast and free!

Another good point. I already have them to do my Cold Fusion development but a customer would have to buy and learn those as well.

Furthermore, it’s considerably easier to read text when formatted with Textile as opposed to regular HTML. That’s a difference because DW would leave your text with HTML syntax, so when you ever went back to edit it, you’d have to swim through it too. With Textile, it’s almost like you are editing straight text. Nice and clean.

Something I hadn’t considered thanks.

By the way, I think there is a plugin that gives you graphic editing buttons like you describe, rigt in the editing tab of the admin interface. I don’t recall what it’s called though.

I will look into that.

#42 2006-05-30 02:26:44

Destry
Website

florida_guy wrote:

I look forward to part two. Thanks for writing part one.

Part 2 (the novella), finally: Textpattern Building Block Mechanics

#43 2006-05-30 05:10:56

maniqui
Website

Hi Destry,

I’m reading it (a bit long) between lines, because, you know, I’m already an expert ;).
but… great article!
Many TXP tips and tricks in the same place!

I have to make a little observation:

Textpattern Forms exist in four types: article, comment, link, miscellaneous, and file. It is important that you designate one of these types to any new Form you create. The type is logically tied to certain Tags, which will only work if the Form type is correct.

I used to think that at first, but then I find out that form types (and Sencer explained me) are just for categorization: what’s the importance of form type?

I will keep reading and try to make a useful comment at the end of your article :D
well done!

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#44 2006-05-30 10:36:16

Destry
Website

maniqui wrote:

I have to make a little observation:

Destry wrote: Textpattern Forms exist in four types: article, comment, link, miscellaneous, and file. It is important that you designate one of these types to any new Form you create. The type is logically tied to certain Tags, which will only work if the Form type is correct.

Excellent. Thanks Maniqui. I think this is a good example of what happens when a system is not well documented and it’s interface is suggestive of function that isn’t quite right. For example, you and I both thought the type must be declared, and we most likely thought that because the interface suggests it that way (“required”). I’ll read up on that link you supply and edit the article.

If anyone else has insights or thoughts about the article, please let me know. I appreciate it. Best if you say it in the article’s comments though so I can keep it all together. Thanks.

Last edited by Destry (2006-05-30 10:38:03)

#45 2006-05-30 10:53:35

Destry
Website

OK, after looking at that thread you provide, it seems I’m still OK, but maybe I just need to rephrase it for clarity. What I was really trying to make clear is what Sencer mentioned later in that thread…that it’s important to declare the right Form type if you use the Tag builders, and since I’m covering the Tag builders in detail in that article, I wanted to make sure people understood the association.

So even though it may not be required to “classify” a Form type (or even do it correctly), it is important (and to do it correctly) if you really want to work with the builders as intended.

I would have one suggestion for those Tag builders though, rather than display every single Form existing in the article and article list dropdowns, it would be nice if the dropdowns only showed Forms that were indeed typed as “article”. Just a small contribution towards more intuitive interfacing.

EDIT: And here is the revised text that is now published…

It is important that you designate the appropriate Form type to any new Forms you create because the type is logically tied to the Tag builders (discussed in next section), which will only work if the Form associations are correct.

Last edited by Destry (2006-05-30 11:07:27)

#46 2006-06-12 19:27:06

rloaderro
Archived Plugin Author
Website

maniqui wrote:

First time I read about TXP was in 2004, in a comment by Justin French in this article about CMS by Jeffrey Veen.

Me too! Later, when I was actively looking for an open-source CMS, I came back to that article and researched all the names that had been posted – in the end Textpattern won out. And not that it counts for everything, but TXP is also the only CMS on opensourcecms to score a perfect review (5 stars :).

Last edited by rloaderro (2006-06-12 19:27:37)

Travel Atlas * Org | Start Somewhere

Board footer