Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-05-19 10:51:35

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Re: [howto] copyright

colak

re: your last code snippet. You can’t simply use $prefs['lastmod'] without checking if comments count towards site update. (Mary, please correct me if I’m wrong about this bit)

If comments do count as an update then the date of the last comment is used as the lastmod date of the site, not necessarily what you want at all. In that case you need to look at the last mod date of the articles in the textpattern table.

Good catch about the timeoffset though. I missed that one but it will only make a few hours difference on a year.

Steve

#14 2006-05-19 12:29:16

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

net-carver wrote:

As I understand it from Michael Montgomery’s article on GodBit (see post #3 above) the usual convention, at least in the US, is to limit the dates for the updates to just the last one. This gives the start-year — end-year format we see everywhere. Is it similar in other parts of the world?
I have no plans to change the attribution dates to a list. It could be possible through the verbatim use of a custom field, just like you demonstrated in your example code.

Hi net-carver
Here’s a quote from Mary’s link which prompted me for the conclusion above

When you see several dates in a copyright statement, it simply means that certain things were created in one year and modified later. It could also mean that new things were created and added in a later year.

Having said that, I would I agrre with you that a start and a ‘last modified’ date would cover the copyright case anyway

> Edited for textile formatting

Last edited by colak (2009-04-08 07:43:10)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#15 2006-05-19 13:22:21

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Hi colak,

the article reference you posted was very interesting. It kind of reminds me of the separation of content from presentation in web design, xhtml for content and the css for the presentation.

Could such a distinction work for copyright where the author maintained copyright only on the content layer (the ideas and their encoding in a suitable transformable format) and anybody had the right to modify the presentation (audio/video/text[normal]/text[large print]/braille) to suite their individual needs, taste or ability.

Nice reference.

Last edited by net-carver (2006-05-20 01:04:13)

Steve

#16 2006-05-20 00:48:12

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

You can’t simply use $prefs['lastmod'] without checking if comments count towards site update. (Mary, please correct me if I’m wrong about this bit)

You’ve got that right: if you have “New comment means site updated?” set to “yes”, then that affects $prefs['lastmod'].

If you really want to keep the above setting, then what you can do is a simple SQL query to find out the last modified date of the most recently modified article (off the top of my head):

$last_mod = safe_field('unix_timestamp(`LastMod`)', 'textpattern', 'Status = 4 and `Posted` < now() order by `LastMod` desc limit 0, 1');

:)

#17 2006-05-20 01:01:12

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Thanks for that Mary,

that is basically what sed_copyright does already for the “comments count as site updates” option. However, your SQL has a few extras I missed. I will work those into the next version. :O)

Last edited by net-carver (2006-05-20 01:05:02)

Steve

#18 2006-05-20 06:02:57

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Mary,

I think the status should be >= 4 to catch sticky articles (status 5) too.

Steve

#19 2006-05-20 15:38:35

colak
Admin

net-carver wrote:

It kind of reminds me of the separation of content from presentation in web design, xhtml for content and the css for the presentation.

I guess you raised a very good (new) point here. In sites where there are many authors the copyright notice can be a bit misleading. A more correct way would be copyright of the text belongs to the author, copyright of the design belongs to the designer copyright of the cms belongs to the developers copyright of the plug-ins which sometimes generate part(s) of the page to the plugin authors etc. Not to mention about the css/xhtml hacks and the people behind them through the web community.

> Edited for textile formatting

Last edited by colak (2009-04-08 07:44:13)

Yiannis
——————————

#20 2006-05-20 22:05:14

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Steve: I assumed you wouldn’t want sticky articles to count, but yes.

#21 2006-05-21 06:52:02

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

colak,

yeah, I wasn’t actually thinking of that when I posted my thoughts on your article but your are right, a site that has multiple contributors may need a more complex copyright notice. I have seen some sites that do have notices that separate the design and layout from the article content—unfortunately cannot recall where right now.

In #15 above I was just using the html/css separation as an analogy for a possible separation of copyrighted content from its method of presentation.

In other words, you publish your work electronically in some neutral format and retain all copyright to that. Someone buys a copy and then it’s up to them how they present that work to themselves — if they are a blind Braille user they just put it through a Braille presentation unit — or they have it read to them through an audio presentation unit. A sighted user could print it out or read it on screen — the point being it’s up to them. Presentation of the work (to themselves) would not be a breach of copyright which would exist on the underlying, presentation neutral, format.

The method of presentation would be totally freed from the copyright. The original author would retain copyright on the underlying work. People would not be free to copy it/re-distribute the underlying work or any presentation made from it, but still free to present it using whatever method is best for them for personal consumption.

I tried to use the HTML (content) and CSS (presentation) to make my point but don’t think I did it very well. Probably am still messing it up!? :O) Just dreaming.

Mary,

hmm, on my site the very first article I posted was a sticky so that defines the start year for me. I guess it will depend upon the site and how the owner or owners use it.

<thinking out loud> Perhaps I should put a switch into my plugin to allow the users to specify how to handle sticky articles. </thinking out loud>

Last edited by net-carver (2006-05-21 06:54:26)

Steve

#22 2006-06-06 10:32:42

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

Finally got around to adding per-article copyright attribution into my plugin. (Thanks for the ideas colak)

You can find it here

Steve

#23 2006-07-31 17:05:52

Esteban_Panzera

What does that code print?

#24 2006-07-31 18:20:10

colak
Admin

Steve’s plugin prints the copyright notice and it has numerous options. I’d highly recommend it

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer