Website

Re: [wiki] Better use/expression of textpattern.net

Okay – now it’s clearer to me :)
I’m fine with that.

#14 2006-03-09 20:06:29

Elenita
Website

So far, it seems like all the voices here are in agreement. But can anyone think of any reason why this <em>shouldn’t</em> go forward?

#15 2006-03-09 21:59:05

hakjoon
Website

I’m not sure who has the power to create subdomains for Textpattern.net, but we could easily do textpattern.net/textbook by just symlinking wiki -> textbook.

I like the idea of something being in the root of texpattern.net since right now it has a TXP install currently doing nothing (although who knows how old it is) and it just forwards you to wiki.

Also while the wiki is much more robust for documentation I would love to see most TXP related sites actually running textpattern.

Oh and another issue is that we only have a single login for textpattern.net and that login can’t even create databases. So it involves someone other then Destry or I setting some things up since we simply don’t have the power required.

Last edited by hakjoon (2006-03-09 22:00:30)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#16 2006-03-10 02:52:24

Elenita
Website

Patrick, isn’t TextBook hosted at Textdrive? If so, folders automatically map to subdomains and the <a href=“http://kb.textdrive.com/article/independent-subdomains”>process to make a subdomain independent</a> is pretty painless.

I’m surprised to hear that you and Destry have such limited access to the behind-the-scenes stuff at textpattern.net. Can you contact Dean (he owns the domain, I think?) and ask for broader privileges? That seems like an easier long-term solution than waiting for him to make changes, as he’s a busy man these days.

#17 2006-03-10 06:32:40

Destry
Website

hakjoon wrote:

I like the idea of something being in the root of texpattern.net since right now it has a TXP install currently doing nothing (although who knows how old it is) and it just forwards you to wiki. … Oh and another issue is that we only have a single login for textpattern.net and that login can’t even create databases. So it involves someone other then Destry or I setting some things up since we simply don’t have the power required.

That install of TxP at the root (and it is old, like rc1 old) was what I was referring to earlier (“TxP Install”), but which there has not been a need for. Just to confirm to everyone, it hasnt’ been used for two main reasons: 1) Textpattern doesn’t allow for the vast different languages at one time, which is essential for a proper documentation effort. 2) You could never allow the convenience of unlimited user accounts and editing like you can with the wiki. I only want to mention these things again so no one brings up the tired, old argument of moving the documentation to a TxP install. That’s not going to happen anytime soon.

Oh and another issue is that we only have a single login for textpattern.net and that login can’t even create databases. So it involves someone other then Destry or I setting some things up since we simply don’t have the power required.

I used to be able to login to phpMyAdmin and work in the db, now I can’t for some reason. hakjoon, if you are able to, can you send me all the details (link, account, whatever), maybe I’m outdated. Funny thing is I can get to the server fine, just not the database. Maybe it’s the URL I have.

OK, so I’ll try contacting Dean and see if we can get at least one master account to administer the site properly. I had never realized the limitation before, as there was never a need. Obviously there is now.

#18 2006-03-10 16:18:31

hakjoon
Website

Elenita wrote:
Patrick, isn’t TextBook hosted at Textdrive? If so, folders automatically map to subdomains and the <a href=“http://kb.textdrive.com/article/independent-subdomains”>process to make a subdomain independent</a> is pretty painless.

Textbook is hosted on robson-old which does not seem to have webmin installed, or if it does it is not where it is on all the other textdrive servers so I haven’t been able to figure it out from the KB. Also some of the things like automatic subdomains don’t seem to be setup (for example wiki.textpattern.net doesn’t work).

If anyone knows anything about these older textdrive servers please share.

#19 2006-03-10 16:56:43

Elenita
Website

From the look of <a href=“http://forum.textdrive.com/viewtopic.php?pid=74515#p74515”>this thread over at the TxD forums</a> robson is the server reserved for textpattern.com and related sites. I did a quick check, and it’s not considered a “normal” shared server (it’s not listed under <a href=“http://kb.textdrive.com/article/what-are-the-ip-addresses-for-the-textdrive-servers”>a KB article giving the IP addresses</a>, for example). So, I don’t know if any of my experience applies.

The post by Jason linked above does say that there are <strong>two</strong> servers named robson, the other presumably being robson-new. Maybe open a support ticket to see if you can get updated info for the new server (including whether things are in their usual places), and ask to be migrated there?

Last edited by Elenita (2006-03-10 16:57:41)

#20 2006-03-11 05:32:43

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I had this problem when I wanted to update the forum, which is on the same server. I sent you an email about where you can find Webmin, Patrick. :)

#21 2006-03-23 22:27:07

Destry
Website

I’ve touched based with Dean. All textpattern-related sites (those hosted by TextDrive) will be moving to new servers in San Diego very soon (apparently a couple of weeks or so). Dean has given me a new account for textpattern.net, which apparently wields a bit more power than the one currently. I’ve decided to wait until the move happens and the dust clears before attempting any URL rewrites; i.e., changing textpattern.net/wiki to textbook.textpattern.net. Just to let you know.

#22 2006-03-24 02:04:57

hakjoon
Website

I think our current account doesn’t actually allow us to do subdomains. The webmin interface we have access to (thanks Mary) only seems to allow for aliases and not any virtual hosts like the other textdrive servers do. Hopefully that will change in the new servers.

I finally have my dev stuff back in shape (in FreeBSD wooo!) so I’m going to start testing clean urls see if that’s something we can put in place.

#23 2006-03-24 02:24:10

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

If I’m not mistaken, it’s because our access accounts are “sub-users” of the main account, so we just don’t have as much power.

#24 2006-09-23 19:51:35

jagorny
Website

Something I have used a lot in the course of development (and did not realize it was not official) is the following:

http://txpref.avinnovators.com/nav.html?_functions/index.html

That’s a 4.0.3 Textpattern cross-reference hosted by a TXP fan and built using phpxref.sourceforge.net.

Would it be possible for something like this to be included in a developer subdomain?

Board footer