Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#313 2007-06-05 16:16:57

renobird
Website

Re: Improving TXP Image Management

jameslomax wrote:

Request: if, for whatever reason, someone can’t continue with a project (which is fair enough), could we have a forum section called something like ‘Developer Take Over’, or ‘Developer Project’, where someone could announce they can’t continue, and then make the code available to others to take to the next stage? Seems like a good community idea….

I second that request.
I think there are plenty of great ideas out there that would get taken over if word was out.
As it stands…it’s difficult to know if developers are just busy or the project has died.

Tom

#314 2007-06-05 16:22:26

hakjoon
Website

There is honestly nothing stopping people from taking any of this over. There was never a formal development plan. The main reason for this whole thing was to document what we should do that way if someone wanted to code they had a place to start.

I’d still like to do the more powerful image tag portion as I have it partially implmented in the latest version of hak_article_image, but I also know Bastian had something in the oven for that.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#315 2007-06-05 16:44:13

renobird
Website

Hey Patrick,

My comment wasn’t directed at this particular idea, but more a thought on the forum section James proposed.
The idea to have a place for people working on any project to say “please take this over”.

Maybe your comment wasn’t in response to mine at all? Just wanted to clarify.

)

Tom

Last edited by renobird (2007-06-05 16:45:16)

#316 2007-07-15 04:54:16

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

i feel like im surrounded by tumbleweeds but umm..anyone actually working on this still?

#317 2007-07-15 05:42:10

squaredeye
Website

its a busy world out ther iblastoff. I think folks have moved on from this topic.
It could likely be renewed with vigor if someone with coding knowledge had either
financial, entreprenuereal, or altruistic incentive to pick it back up again. One of those
you have some influence over :)

Matthew

#318 2007-07-15 06:41:14

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

ma_smith wrote:

its a busy world out ther iblastoff. I think folks have moved on from this topic.
It could likely be renewed with vigor if someone with coding knowledge had either
financial, entreprenuereal, or altruistic incentive to pick it back up again. One of those
you have some influence over :)
Matthew

im definitely not a coder..but can help with funding a ransom or whatever if it ever comes to that point!

Last edited by iblastoff (2007-07-15 06:41:32)

#319 2007-09-23 17:35:27

milkshake
Website

Just came across this thread looking for a way to integrate txp + zenphoto

+1 for a ransom

—-

In the mean time, can anyone recommend a good gallery solution from the current plugins.
So far I have found:

• fpx_image_import
  • wet_for_each_image
  • wet_thumbfilter
  • wow_gallery
  • stm_image_uploader
  • glx_admin_image

Looking for a way to easily get batches of images into txp, then have ways of displaying/sorting/filtering them.

Importing images as articles / auto linking images with articles would also be neat,
then you get all the advantages of articles for free (comments, custom fields, etc.)

#320 2007-09-24 06:48:38

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

i believe fpx_image_import and wow_gallery are the only two from that list that allow you to batch import. i don’t know of any plugins that would import images as articles though. i guess it depends on how you want to display your gallery.

from what i remember, wow_gallery allows you to have more than two image sizes per image (as textpattern currently limits you to ‘original image size’ and ‘thumbnail of image’).

although some people think the lightbox method is overdone, i like smd_slimbox myself. it definitely has highly configurable sorting/filtering abilities.

#321 2007-09-24 13:51:25

milkshake
Website

Thanks dude :)

I will check out wow_gallery first…

#322 2008-02-01 20:06:06

jameslomax
Website

Bump.

;-)

So much energy went into this…where’d it all go?

321 replies, 41915 views, and yours just makes 41916

Last edited by jameslomax (2008-02-01 20:14:31)

#323 2008-02-05 01:32:33

masa

jameslomax wrote:

So much energy went into this…where’d it all go?

Well, I’m still hanging in here, but so far no one seemed to be interested in my offer. I would like to hear, if anyone has suggestions on how to set up funded development of such a plugin.
It might help, if we compiled a list of features, we’d like to see, so I’ll go ahead…

• multi-column layout of the image listing instead of the current single-column one
  • an option to list by image categories only using a thumbnail of the first image as the representation for the entire category; clicking that thumbnail would expand the respective category to display all associated images.
  • ability to delete multiple images or an entire category of images at once

I’m working on a site, which might approach the 1000-image mark fairly soon, so a solution would be very much appreciated.

Devs: are there any plans to address this in 4.1.0 ?

Cheers Martin

Last edited by masa (2008-02-05 01:36:50)

#324 2008-02-19 11:14:19

jameslomax
Website

Martin, I think feature requests have been covered very well already. I said myself, a long time ago, multi column images would be a simple and big improvement.

I think what this needs now is an expression of interest from a coder or plug in writer, if anyone wants to take this on. One or two did say they were interested, but then went silent. I don’t know if repeating what’s already been said serves any purpose. It might, if it generates interest again, but I’ve already made my comments on this and so have others.

If any plug in writers are interested in doing this, which could be a funded project, it would be great if they respond – I’d recommend reading the entire discussion, which is quite comprehensive, and seeing how they feel about it. One of the last topics to arise here is whether improvements should be built into the core or built as a plug in. If they’re built into the core, that’s more complicated and the devs have never said they were working on it. So I think we have to assume that’s not going to happen, at least not for a very long time.

I’m more happy with a plug in: someone could take it on, maybe get funded with one of those ‘ransom’ set ups, and it could be built much more quickly and easily.

Board footer