Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-03-02 19:51:42

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Improving TXP Image Management

That is what Textpatter is for: general discussion, not necessarily Textpattern-related. This will be more obvious after the forum upgrade.

#14 2006-03-02 19:57:40

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

> ma_smith wrote:

What do you all think about the inline stuff?

Ugly. Give me at least an option to switch that off in an instant. I’ll never mix presentation with content, when avoidable. And it will probably cause havoc upon the advent of themes, as some of them will style images inside article bodies they way they like.

Last edited by wet (2006-03-02 19:57:57)

#15 2006-03-02 20:14:53

squaredeye
Website

That’s my line of thinking as well wet.
It seems unnecessary, when a class can be added.

Mary’s plugin (upm_img_popper) did/does a nice job of this.

it seems like most txp folks are inclined to uphold standards.

the next step for this stuff will be to develop a prototype (mockup) for
  • upload
  • organization
  • basic img tags (w/ new functionality?)
  • post/display (for page form and article)

Am I missing anything?

#16 2006-03-02 21:11:41

KurtRaschke
Plugin Author

> mary wrote:

> That is what Textpatter is for: general discussion, not necessarily Textpattern-related. This will be more obvious after the forum upgrade.

Forum upgrade? Care to enlighten us?

-Kurt

kurt@kurtraschke.com

#17 2006-03-02 21:18:58

squaredeye
Website

Man, my thread has been utterly abductified. :)

M

#18 2006-03-02 21:54:49

jameslomax
Website

I use bas_image for single image posts, Mary’s img_popper for multiple image handling, and aba_image_import for multiple image upload. I think the functions of those 3 plugins would be a good basis for improving the default txp image handling, and ideally would be integrated in some form into the txp code. However, there’s one function which is not currently covered, its very important, and Worpress already has it: single image upload/handling from within or on the same admin page as the post you are making. Its very important – its very clumsy, if you have to open new browser windows or navigate around txp for such a simple function. We need a nice plug in like Mary’s or Bastians, but we also need a more efficient upload facility. In this respect, Wordpress is much better. In fact I’d go further and suggest that this could be a great plug in request, taking txp forward in another evolutionary leap.

#19 2006-03-02 22:06:37

hakjoon
Website

ma_smith wrote:
I talked to Patrick (Hakjoon) about incorporating images (buttons) for styles that would give an image a .left for float : left and (margin: auto for center and .right float right for upm_img_popper, and I think he may incorporate them?

What I thought of was to maybe have little image alignment pictures that when selected would insert a class you previously specified (so people can make the classes as semantic as they want). That way the end user has nice friendly visual things to click but the designer has full control over what gets spit out.

Maybe it could even be opened up to attach many images to many classes giving you all sorts of controls.

However I do not want to start throwing everything and the kitchen sink into img_popper. I think it will make it completely unwieldy. I’m hoping good requirements can be gathered and then perhaps the interface can be re-thought out to accommodate most needs.

In my opinion img_popper works pretty darn well but its already pretty loaded. I don’t want to break it by throwing everything in it without really thinking about how it will all fit together.

Oh and Matthew rocks for really getting the ball rolling on this.

Last edited by hakjoon (2006-03-02 22:07:19)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#20 2006-03-02 22:08:18

Bastian
Plugin Author
Website

Sorry, but i don’t know the word abductified, so i hope that doesnt mean: This thread is closed.

Some month ago, i started to update bas_img_selector.

Click to enlarge

I never finished it, but my plans so far:

Instead of open a new window, i planned to use AJAX and display the selector in a div on the write screen.

As you can see there are three tabs : Selector, Styler, Upload
The content of these tabs is loaded by AJAX on request.

Selector

On the left side of that tab there is the bas_img_selector.

On the right, you can managed multiple images.
On top there are thumbs of all current images, stored in the _article-image_-field.
Under the thumbs you can enlarge on thumb.

Styler

On that tab the user can choose out of differnt styles. These should be stored in forms
For example a form could include Lightbox, another one a css gallery or just float:left.

Upload

To options should be here: Upload from desktop and copy from web.

Again, i did never finished this and the work is not far advanced.

Because a lack of time, i’m not able to finish that on my own.
But i would co-operate.

#21 2006-03-02 22:37:04

squaredeye
Website

Bas,
I’d be stoked to see what you and Hakjoon can do together on something like that Bas, though Mary noted in an earlier thread (forget where), that we would be advised to work on the implementation of some core functionality over trying to come up with the ultimate plugin? Bas, would you be willing to upload your thoughts to the WIKI? Or send me an email with screenshots from all of the tabs and a thorough explanation?

James Lomax,
Of course upload and posting are just one part of this picture, and yes I agree uploading should be possible via the “write” tab. Help us think of solutions and problems:) For instance: If you have upload on the write tab, should you also have multiple image upload from the write tab? If so, should you have options for styling all of the images differently? Can you see how it starts to get bloated? We need to see some ideas in action. Why don’t you submit a Wordpress section to the WIKI article ? Or take the screenshots and do a write up and email me with it?

I’d personally like to see some work on DavidM’s suggestion of using the txp:image tags the way we currently use the txp:article tags sounded fantastic to me. I’d really like to see that one worked out from a technical point of view and/or have some “troubleshooting” type of folks start figuring out how that might be implemented if it proved worthy of the core?

I don’t know what’s best for the Dev team though? To see a plugin that works impecably and to implement it into the core, or to see a welll thought out schema with diagrams and illustrations and such and then they can work out the coding? Anyone care to weigh in on that? Mary?

Hakjoon, I utterly agree with you about img_popper. Too unwieldy and it’s a tank. Oh and thanks for the warm-fuzzy, does this mean I owe you one less beer :P

#22 2006-03-02 22:41:46

squaredeye
Website

PS.
One of the things that Alexandra posted in the WIKI was about ModX’s use of folders to help manage images better. Anyone want to think up a scheme around this? What happens if someone has a site with 1000 images? Sounds cuckoo, but consider something like screenspire, which has a ton of images. To navigate that amount of images in TXP currently would be ludicrous (note the reference to spaceballs

#23 2006-03-02 22:43:50

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Not a plugin. For one thing, there really is a limitation with what plugins can do, so to convert a plugin takes more work than to build-in the functionality from scratch. Diagrams, illustrations, specific use-cases (who’d want it? photo bloggers? other bloggers? business/portfolio sites? what’s the current limitation(s)? and so on).

#24 2006-03-02 22:59:52

squaredeye
Website

Mary,
Great. Exactly what I wanted to know. That’s where I will (personally) focus.
As a forum administrator, how do you recommend to get the community to weigh in on those three topics in a clean and deliberate way?

I hope to point people toward the WIKI, but not that many people are getting signed up in order to edit.

Is it worth it (considered good practice?) to start a new organized thread? Along these lines:

———————————————————————————————————

TXP Image Limitations / uses / and YOUR solutons

(clear set of instructions) Please use this thread in the following manner:

I use photos in my
  • personal blog in the following manner
  • client sites in the following manner
  • to create image galleries on this kind of site
These are what I think are limitations in the current TXP system of handling/posting images
  • limitation one
  • limitation two
  • limitation three
I would like to see the following functionality
  • upload from write tab (detailed explanation) with graphic if possible?
  • implimentation of the kind of functionality found in Mary’s/Hakjoon’s img_popper plugin
    • with an additional place to set my cup (cupholder) :)
I would like to help think through the implications of such functionality in this way
  • cheerleading squad
  • round of drinks for people who give a crap

—————————————————————————————————

Whattya think? Other suggestion? Best approach?

Matthew

Last edited by ma_smith (2006-03-02 23:00:39)

Board footer