Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2004-11-08 00:57:22

danielk

Re: Automatic Acronyms

Not knowing a whole lot about PHP, would there be a upper limit to the number of acronyms that can be used with this? I was thinking that I could turn this into something that could output links with predefined locations, instead of acronyms and definitions. I dont think there would be a huge difference in functionality, so even I could figure it out. Since there would be a lot of pages (internal helpdesk), wanted to make sure it wouldnt cause problems.

also, excuse my ignorance if I’m wrong, but in the directions for the CAA, re:txplib_head.php:line 14, do there need to be 2 $ctabs, or can the first one be deleted?

#14 2004-11-08 01:25:41

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

There really is no upper limit on the number of acronyms that this can support, but if the list gets large, then it will work a little bit slower. I don’t think it should be noticable, but then again I don’t know how many entries you have in mind.

The first one should be deleted. I forgot the ‘-’ mark. I guess a typo was guaranteed since I wrote it up at 4am.

#15 2004-11-08 04:49:56

greenrift
Archived Plugin Author
Website

> danielk wrote:

> I was thinking that I could turn this into something that could output links with predefined locations…

So you mean something like TXPiki ?

I had a version that did it when Textile was run on an article, but the problem w/ that is you have to re-save all your articles if you change the predefinied links. The trade off, if you don’t ever change the predefinied links, is that you have a bunch of pointless db queries (and slightly slower speed).

Oh, and the regular expression could use work.

#16 2004-11-08 16:16:11

danielk

Yes, actually, that is very similar to what I was looking for. I just noticed that the acronym’s don’t update unless you resave the file, as well. Not a big deal for acronyms, as they dont change too much. :) That would probably not be too good for managing links though. I’m not planning on changing the links often, but there will ba a lot of references to them (couple hundred).I don’t want to have to resave all the files to force the update of the links. Is there any way to process the output prior to display, rather than prior to the save? I’d like to use something like CamelCase, but the braces would be fine.

edit
actually, now that I think about, I rather like the idea of the braces better.

Last edited by danielk (2004-11-08 16:48:06)

#17 2004-11-08 16:27:58

danielk

I just had a thought, Would it be possible to have the TXPiki point to a link in the links section by an id#? I seem to remember from a while ago that you can recall links by an id#. I was thinking something that allows you to specify a keyword for a link, in addition to the URI, description, etc. That way, you can update the actual link seperately of the id#, and not have to resave all the pages to force updates?

Last edited by danielk (2004-11-08 17:00:30)

#18 2004-11-09 19:43:48

greenrift
Archived Plugin Author
Website

> danielk wrote:

> I just had a thought, Would it be possible to have the TXPiki
> point to a link in the links section by an id#? I seem to
> remember from a while ago that you can recall links by an id#.
> I was thinking something that allows you to specify a keyword
> for a link, in addition to the URI, description, etc. That way,
> you can update the actual link seperately of the id#, and not
> have to resave all the pages to force updates?

The biggest problem would be what would happen if you changed the title of the link? Then your title would be out of sync, but the link would still work.

#19 2004-11-10 17:55:28

danielk

> greenrift wrote:

> The biggest problem would be what would happen if you changed the title of the link? Then your title would be out of sync, but the link would still work.

Fair enough, but wouldn’t the link text be the TXPiki word, and the link itself referenced by the id? What about an extra field for a link, instead of an extra page? something like Title, Sort Value , URL, Link category, and TXPiki word?

The links generated for output could refer to the id, allowing the link to be updated, for ease of maintenance. All the information would be managed from a familiar interface, removing the possibility of syncing issues. Would something like that work/be feasible?

Last edited by danielk (2004-11-10 17:55:45)

#20 2004-11-14 02:21:49

chrisfnet

I’m not sure if this qualifies as an acronym per se, but is there a auto-replace function in Textpattern? Like, for every instance of “blah” replace it with “xxxx” – for example?

#21 2005-05-07 20:36:54

soulship
Website

Is it possible to make this a plugin with the new admin plugin options?

#22 2005-05-08 05:20:58

creativesplash
Website

It would be great if this plugin is available as a pluigin (with the introduction of Admin Side plugs). Is it possible?

“Take a point, stretch it into a line, curl it into a circle, twist it into a sphere, and punch through the sphere.”

— Albert Einstein

#23 2005-05-08 16:41:25

greenrift
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’d have to think about it more, but right now I don’t forsee it as being possible. The hack is just a replacement Textile. Though I could probably make it so you could add/remove/edit acronym’s from the administration page. But not now.

#24 2005-05-08 16:47:08

soulship
Website

That would be fantastic if/when you find the time. Where <em>does</em> all of our time go? I have the same problem ;)

Board footer