Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2006-02-24 17:59:31

Jeremie
Website

Re: [feedback] How to bring txp back on track ? Let's debate !

alexandra wrote:
subcategories will come

Subsections you meant? Subcategories already exist (but aren’t handled in the frontend).

#98 2006-02-24 18:11:06

alexandra

Thanks Jeremie, corrected.

[btw i did forget: TXP Blogmap will come within hours and a Biz Map will come too, hopefully. At least Bastian is working on the Biz Map to support TXP related services. And: TXP Mag got revamped. Hey i did do my share of work, didn´t i ;)]

Last edited by alexandra (2006-02-24 18:14:48)

#99 2006-02-24 18:12:11

Skubidu
Archived Plugin Author
Website

@ David: Thank you for this comprehensive comparison!

Alex & Jeremie: I think it should be subSECTIONs, too.
edit: Alex was faster ;o)

Last edited by Skubidu (2006-02-24 18:16:17)

#100 2006-02-24 18:24:06

maniqui
Website

@davidm: great comparision!

davidm wrote:

MODx
BETTER THAN TXP
<ul><li>custom fields (aka Template Variables) : you can choose any type and any number of custom fields, which are linked to templates</li></ul>

Arent this exactly the same as our simple, well-known and beloved forms?
A TXP form is like a custom field, and you can re-use it in templates. You can create any number. Don know about the “type” attribute. Type attribute in TXP forms is just for categorizing (article, misc, link, etc).

Last edited by maniqui (2006-02-24 18:25:22)

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#101 2006-02-24 18:37:57

hakjoon
Website

Template Variables are more like Custom fields on steroids. Something like this would allow you to customize the write tab on a section by section basis to have fields that match the type of input that they are expecting.

• Have a section in which you need 3 writing areas? Create a textarea TV
  • checkbox group to determine public or admin plugin? Checkbox TV with public and admin as an option.

This is without even touching stuff like @bindings which let you pull the options from DB queries. It’s very very powerful, and something that I would love to see added. It would basically let you do what the RightFields plugin for Movable Type let’s you do.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#102 2006-02-24 18:46:54

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

Textpattern is off-track? I missed that memo. When will my website stop working?

#103 2006-02-24 18:59:38

davidm

Jeremie wrote:I don’t think private messaging is that useful. Nice for some people, but far below the needed feature list in my opinion.

I was thinking about those SPIP vs Textpattern discussion, must have been private boards then…

hakjoon : thanks for the nice explanation of TVs ;D I could go into detail and expand (like talk about INHERIT’s power) but that would be off track ;p

@Ramanan: lol, great joke, yeah true the title could be misleading… txp is not off track itself, but the community certainly is a bit adrift and missing directions…)

Last edited by davidm (2006-02-24 19:18:30)

.: Retired :.

#104 2006-02-24 19:33:04

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

David sums up a few systems pretty well but there are so many out there and many more coming online soon.

At my count, there are 50 CMS’s, 30 Portals and 21 Blogs with stable code. That’s 101 Open Source systems that can be used to create a web presence, with about 15 more waiting to come out of beta.

Adding features to Textpattern to stay on par with EE, would be suicidal. When EE came out, it’s admin interface was a thing of beauty. Now, it’s so bloated with features that it takes forever to add an article.

What I like about Textpattern is the light nature of the code base, how quickly I can enter an article and how fast it renders pages. Yes, there are things that can be added to Textpattern to make it easier for the user, but I’d like to see the focus on the user base instead of what the competition is doing.

#105 2006-02-24 19:34:11

alexandra

> ramanan wrote:

> Textpattern is off-track? I missed that memo. When will my website stop working?

pretty soon, ramanan – though according to jdueck there is hope everything will be on track for 2009 again ;)

#106 2006-02-24 19:34:13

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

I agree that at times it would seem that there isn’t a clear focus on what direction to take textpattern in, but it would seem that more often than not this has almost 0 impact on the vast majority of the user base here. I think these discussions are interesting and worthwhile, but i’m not sure any serious restructuring of how things are done is needed.

#107 2006-02-24 19:56:37

alexandra

> hcgtv wrote:

> Yes, there are things that can be added to Textpattern to make it easier for the user, but I’d like to see the focus on the user base instead of what the competition is doing.

We should take both into account though i do agree, the user base has a higher priority.

David threw in this great comparison to line out TXP is under competition. Noone can deny this fact.
However our initial post was not about feature requests.

The unedifying question is: who can guide TXP through the coming months?

Last edited by alexandra (2006-02-24 19:57:07)

#108 2006-02-24 20:04:52

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

It doesn’t matter if Textpattern has competition. The only person who this might effect is Dean, and he seems to have no interest in making money off Textpattern. Textpattern is not a for-profit company. If everyone packed up shop and went home now, what would the net effect be? For most people things would work as they have always worked. Why does Textpattern need to compete with any other CMS? It doesn’t

Textpattern is a tool for managing a weblog. And it does this task quite well. Exactly what sort of guidence does textpattern need.

Board footer