Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-04-02 10:10:31

alexandra

Re: MP3 handling? Opinions, suggestions, etc.

just a link: Jon Hicks found sounds

#26 2006-04-02 21:03:10

morgant
Plugin Author
Website

I configured the Small Dog Electronics blog with Podcasting earlier this year and it’s been working very well.

I did modify php.ini to support larger file uploads (can’t remember which variables, but I can post them if someone wants me to). Basically, I created a new section “podcast-rss” (although I could have called it anything) which is never linked to except by “feed://” URLs, the “page” I built for it just outputs the RSS with enclosures built, etc. I use one of the custom fields for the file name and that’s it.

It works quite well, although when it went live I moved the actual MP3 files out of Textpattern, but that was mainly because I’ve got some servers round-robin’d for file and image hosting (to prevent traffic spikes on the the podcast from bringing the blog to its knees).

Great solution, but I’ll be elated if Textpattern 4.1 has themes of some type for syndication feeds (so I can offer more modernized RSS feeds as well as ATOM feeds and the podcast). I can write up a tutorial on this if anyone thinks it’d be useful.

#27 2006-04-03 01:22:55

squaredeye
Website

Morgant,
Go for it. I’d love to see that and I think a bunch of others would as well. (Both counts : the tutorial and the php.ini file changes)
Thanks for thinking of us :)

Matthew

#28 2006-05-13 04:31:50

semanio

Morgant,

same here I’m curious to see a tutorial on this topic

Nate

#29 2006-05-13 06:27:06

squaredeye
Website

on second thought, I think that we should be encouragin clients to have greater support for a staff member who knows how to use something as simple as an ftp client. The world or a “webmasterless” client is a farfetched one, and perhaps not ideal. IMHO.

#30 2006-07-08 15:02:35

luro
Website

Hi guys, i follow all that is said here and i am really looking forward having my vpodcast chain workin on TXP.
Unfortunately i can’t code that much now.

Regarding upload problems, it may be interesting to have a look at Webdav. A webdav support on TXP would be great !!! ez publish is doin this very well (of course ez publish is not the same kind of software but you could take ideas)

Board footer