Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-02-19 06:31:45

nardo

Re: Ask-A-Dev : subsections? likely?

best I’ve come up with so far…

options require too much width when presented on one line, too much vertical space in a vertical list

My suggestion: if you create a section with a parent, by default it inherits the parent’s settings – which you are then free to individualise …

I think this offers a good compromise between inheritance (ease of use) and control (nested sections are real sections too).

This method fails if you suddenly want to change the settings of one parent which has 50 children. But with an ability to run through a list and save ‘all selected’ or ‘all’ sections, that’s not such a drama.

My other suggestion: by labelling the sections with their parents (e.g. “artistes/donald-swain”) we have all the nested sections grouped together visually (assuming alphabetical sorting)

am sketching out some use cases, this mockup of the sections tab just to get something down to work from

Last edited by nardo (2006-02-19 06:34:47)

#14 2006-02-20 03:20:05

nardo

quick question:

at present you cannot add a section with a name that already exists… with subsections, you might require nested sections that share a name, e.g.

• /venues/cricket
  • /sports/cricket

does this pose a great problem for dev engineering?

#15 2006-02-20 03:25:19

squaredeye
Website

Nardo,
Per your post with the illustration. What would you think of a section with all the nested sections displayed beside it, but without all of the options. Options would appear clicking a + (or something to that effect), using a JS effect, not unlike the one used now for “advanced options”? That might save space (for an initial screen?).

#16 2006-02-20 03:47:18

zem
Developer Emeritus

does this pose a great problem for dev engineering?

Already solved in Crockery.

Alex

#17 2006-03-21 23:31:55

nardo

zem: what’s the thinking on nesting sections? that they can be nested only once? so, a finite set of rules & conditions to deal with… OR do you see them as infinitely nestable?

ma_smith: a little text link “edit” beside the section name might be a good toggle to open/close the options – perhaps with a master “show / hide options” text link at top-right of page (floated right of “Site Sections”)

#18 2006-03-22 13:19:54

squaredeye
Website

nardo wrote:

ma_smith: a little text link “edit” beside the section name might be a good toggle to open/close the options – perhaps with a master “show / hide options” text link at top-right of page (floated right of “Site Sections”)

Yeah, mmm, I like that idea. Keep it simple, show/hide seems to be a very clean way of handling that. Have you been able to check out the crockery progress with this? I’ve been to busy to learn how, although I grabbed an svn client and dl’d the croc.

Interested to see where this goes.

M

Board footer