Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-07-08 15:40:35

ice

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_google_map - display articles on google maps

rbe wrote:

just go to the panel -> domains -> manage domains -> pick your domain and click edit… uncheck “Extra Web Security (Highly Reccomended)” and save it. All should be well after that :) Good luck!

Had a similar problem saving but could not get access to any security setting but through phpMyAdmin managed to modify the code direct into the database. Not ideal granted, but it works.

#38 2006-08-29 05:19:12

variaas
Plugin Author
Website

So here’s a tall order, but maybe someone can just point me in the right direction. I want to create an effect like local.google.com. I want to be able to have articles on the left side of the map and when the visitor clicks the title of the article it chooses the point on the map. Has anyone implemented something like this (TXP or other)? I would be interested to read about how to accomplish this.

#39 2006-09-04 03:57:03

qreus76

I’ve been trying to get the hack to displaying one marker from the current article like cap nemo (not from the whole category or categories) . I can’t seem to view his solutions. Can anyone help?

#40 2006-09-06 04:13:22

qreus76

anyone?

#41 2006-09-06 16:38:14

adr
Website

@qreus76 —

Here’s a tutorial about creating a Google Map with a sidebar, though not for TextPattern in particular.

The techniques outlined require you to create a text or XML file that contains the Google Map data. You could do that by hand, but that would be silly if you’re maintaining the website in TextPattern. Instead, you might be able to modify rss_google_maps to create map data on the fly. I wouldn’t. Look at a technique that I used to create map data using page templates and article forms:

forum thread

tutorial

Last edited by adr (2006-09-06 16:40:26)

#42 2006-09-06 21:45:54

qreus76

Thanks adr but I was looking more for somthing like cap_nemo’s solution like Here . I just want my viewers to see one marker that is associated with the current article that’s being read. Not a marker for every article in a category. I’m posting directions to locations for events that are comming up. Each event (article) may have a different venue and location. When the reader click on the upcomming event I want them to see a map to the location of that one event not all of ‘em.

Also, this is to be done by using simple custom tags filled with addresses (street, city, state, zip) not the geocode. I’m trying to make it as simple as possible for the “not so savy.”

Can you help?

#43 2006-09-06 22:08:25

squaredeye
Website

qreus76

Have you thought about having an article list (in a column) (your events) (under section “events”)
Then each article has its own google map. Each time you click an article, the map would have to reload instead
of just move, but it would be one way to handle the problem?

Or, you could ask someone to write a solution for multiple locations/events that is an apdatptation of the plugin, but be prepared to pay for the outsourcing :)
If you are doing this for a client, then it should be a non issue. If you are doing it as a favor, I’ve found a lot of folks willing to pay for a little better functionality.

That’s open source for ya :)
Good luck.

#44 2006-09-07 02:43:12

qreus76

Yes, that’s the way I’m doing it. I have an article list of my events under section “newsevents”. I thought that each article (upcomming event) was suppose to have it’s own google map pulling from the addresses from the custom fields in that article. It seemed cool at first because all of my events were located at one place (the church). But when I created a new upcomming event to be located at a hotel (women’s conference) I found that I still was seeing the marker at the church. When I zoomed out, I saw that both markers were on the map (church and hotel).

When I viewed the source I realized that the map was looping through all the articles in the section and putting all the addresses on one map. The reason there were only two markers though, was because I believe all the upcomming events that had addresses to the church (one location) were overlapping and the hotel marker (different location) was by itself. I found that when I put more events in the list with different locations, all the locations were being shown on one map (multiple markers). This will only confuse reader when trying to get directions.

I guess, the best way to explain what I want is to look at cap_nemo’s example on the website that he did for a church. I want to be able to do exactly what he did and from reading this thread I was under the impression that he was able to do it by hacking the rss_google_map plugin.

#45 2006-09-07 02:53:40

squaredeye
Website

I’d write either Wilshire or CapNemo to get an idea on this one :)

#46 2006-10-28 20:16:36

merz1
Website

(Sorry, I am new to this googlemaps topic. Pls. excuse dumb content:)

#44@ qreus76: The code is directly in the source code of that page.

Isn’t it possible to add the code to an article form and get/inject the geodata from custom fields? Even without a plugin?

I like the (pretty complicated) method mentioned in #41. Reading the tutorial I can see that David is limiting the mapdata (limit=). For upcoming events this could be used to limit the markers on the map which would be less confusing and every marker gets an info box with a link to the article and even an excerpt can be included.

Question: What other google maps plugins are around. As Rob is using Yahoo to locate addresses it is not possible form e to use that plugin because Yahoo doesn’t respond to German addresses.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#47 2006-11-10 13:22:44

Niconemo

merz1 wrote:

What other google maps plugins are around. As Rob is using Yahoo to locate addresses it is not possible form e to use that plugin because Yahoo doesn’t respond to German addresses.

Same question.

Last edited by Niconemo (2006-11-10 13:23:27)

Nico

#48 2006-11-11 20:17:40

szac

Hi I’m running v0.3 on 4.0.3. my google maps tag is in a form and I have added the attributes addfield=“custom_1” and so on. My problem is that the map doesn’t see the data. It’s embedded itself blank on the page. Also when I click the marker it’s printing just the word ‘Title’ (which confirms that txp tags are not getting processed?).

I was, however, able to getting working by using asy_wondertag and standard txp custom field calls. This creates the functionality that qreus76 is looking for, but does not work for showing all of the markers from a category or section.

Stats:
Textpattern version: 4.0.3 (r1188)
PHP version: 4.3.10

Thanks!

P.S. Is it possible to force satelite view?

P.P.S. qreus76 try this in your article form (you’ll have to create those custom fields or modify the snippet):

<txp:asy_wondertag>
<txp:rss_google_map address="<txp:custom_field name='address' />" city="<txp:custom_field name="city" />"  state="<txp:custom_field name="state" />"  zip="<txp:custom_field name="zip" />"  zoom="5"  width="560" height="300" addlabel="<txp:title />" />
</txp:asy_wondertag>

Board footer