Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-01-30 15:27:44

marknumberm

Re: Code in article titles

no seriously, an article NAME and article TITLE? like with category & sections?

This is not a bad idea, nardo. But it would be best if it happened by an automatic process.

Instead of having to write two different titles for every article (especially when many won’t need to be different), I would think there could be something like the functionality of the “URL-only title” field: you type in your article title as you want it to be styled with textile (or probably html, for that matter), and as soon as you click on “Publish,” a TITLE2 (or some such) field is automatically populated with that title minus all coding.

RSS, emails, etc., would get the code-less TITLE2; everything else would get the nicely styled one.

Would that work?

#26 2006-01-30 15:33:41

kiplet

Okay, I can turn on custom fields, but I can’t find an additional toggleable TITLE field anywhere, and nothing about a field called NAME, which all the txp tags seem to think is a title anyway. —Peering at the actual table itself, there’s the following:

Title
Title_html
url_title

Title appears to want to be the clean, mostly dirified title that’ll play nicely with lists and feeds.

Title_html, which is currently entirely blank for my table, would appear to be where the nice HTML’d version of the title could be stored, and may be the TITLE nardo’s referring to above (?).

url_title is, of course, the truncated, dirified version used for the permalink.

Anything entered in the top field on the Write tab, of course, goes in Title. And I can get at url_title by opening the Advanced Options list on the write tab. How can I get at or put anything in Title_html? And does nardo’s txp syntax display the contents of Title_html, and not Title? I can’t seem to find much of anything with some quick searches, but I’ll keep poking…

And while writers who require typographical niceness may well be in the minority, they are <em>correct.</em> Which is more important.

#27 2006-01-30 15:51:46

marknumberm

Okay, I can turn on custom fields, but I can’t find an additional toggleable TITLE field anywhere, and nothing about a field called NAME, which all the txp tags seem to think is a title anyway.

None of that exists yet. nardo was just suggesting a possible future solution.

#28 2006-01-30 16:10:34

kiplet

(Which would explain the not finding anything with quick searches. Sorry, nardo; misunderstood.)

#29 2006-01-30 23:41:23

Jeff_K
Archived Plugin Author
Website

One thing about name and title that I have found useful (implimenting this through custom fields) is it helps content sort better. Fillip uses article name for the author’s last name, and “title” custom filed for the article’s title. That way I can sort by the last name of the author easily. This really would only work if, like us, almost ever article is/will be written by a different author.

As per Jeremie’s suggestion, at the very least we should try to get support for <code><cite></code> implimented.

Last edited by Jeff_K (2006-01-30 23:43:23)

#30 2006-01-31 02:22:39

Anark

You’re complicating the interface that way; the absence of interface clutter is one of TxP’s selling points.

A better idea, and more in line with what’s already there, would be the ability to switch off Textile for titles, like you can switch it off for entry bodies and excerpts.

That way, you could allow inline Textile and inline HTML such as the cite tag in titles (body text accepts both HTML and Textile, too). And you could switch Textile off in case you’d need to print a cite tag in your title.

Correct usage of the cite tag, by the way, is a bit hairier than it would seem at first blush.

#31 2006-01-31 02:47:06

KurtRaschke
Plugin Author

> Anark wrote:

>And you could switch Textile off in case you’d need to print a cite tag in your title.

There’s already a Textile syntax for <cite>: ??citation?? (renders as citation). Is this in some way insufficient?

-Kurt

kurt@kurtraschke.com

#32 2006-02-03 05:24:39

Anark

Kurt, that’s good to know — I wasn’t aware Textile had a shortcut for the cite tag.

No, the shortcut wouldn’t be insufficient if it were allowed in titles, along with other inline markup.

#33 2006-02-03 06:06:04

marknumberm

You’re complicating the interface that way; the absence of interface clutter is one of TxP’s selling points.

Um, I don’t think it complicates it that much. It would be under advanced options, and if you were okay with all your un-styled, rss/email/xml-friendly titles being just the same as your regular titles but with any tags stripped off, you wouldn’t have to ever look at it — once again, just as “URL-only title” is now.

Or…
Maybe you wouldn’t have to deal with seeing it on a field any where on your interface. Maybe the tagged and tag-stripped versions of your title could just live in separate fields in your SQL database.

In fact, I wonder if they’re already saved that way; a title using <code>cite /cite</code> tags appears in italics on the internal article list (“Content > Articles” tab), even though the <code>cite</code> tags themselves are printed on the live site.

That, it would seem to me, is a bug.

But as long titles can appear rendered two different ways already, I would think that the code-parsed versions could show up in live article titles, just as they do now on the development side.

Last edited by marknumberm (2006-02-03 06:06:22)

#34 2006-05-28 14:06:44

Yurodivy

Tracking through this thread, I’m very interested to know if any further development has occurred to allow for the formatting of titles. Any new news?

#35 2006-06-02 07:00:20

dragonfey

Well I didn’t realize that using markup was impossible after I wanted bold for my article titles, and they happily showed up in the preview tab on the new article page. So I went and inserted mark-up on all my sticky pages, only to have it show the html on the finished product.

So why can it render ok in preview and not on the finished product?

#36 2006-06-03 04:50:43

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

The preview mechanism likely needs to be updated to remain consistent with the actual output. :)

Board footer