Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#721 2010-06-19 18:29:24

olivierh
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_unlimited_categories - Unltd. Article Categories

Jason is right, this is exactly the problem I have and I undersand it’s not really easy to diagnose something without the whole code.
Here are the versions information :

rss_unlimited_categories version : 0.7.4

Textpattern version: 4.2.0 (r3275)

In terms of plugin I don’t think there is anything that could interfere with rss_unlimited_categories but here are the one I installed :

chh_if_data
mem_postmaster
mem_postmaster_library
rss_admin_db_manager
rss_unlimited_categories
zem_contact_lang
zem_contact_reborn

#722 2010-06-19 21:35:22

els

olivierh, if your category page doesn’t display any articles, you are probably missing the right article tag on your page. Can you post a tag trace of an empty category page?

Also I noticed that your site is using a mix of messy and clean URLs. The article permlinks go to microdisco.org/index.php?id=123 (messy) and the category links go to microdisco.org/articles/category-name, which BTW isn’t a regular Txp category URL (which would be /articles/?c=category-name) but I assume the plugin generates these links?
Anyway, I also tried /index.php?s=articles&c=category-name and /index.php?c=category-name, but no articles there either.
Though I don’t think that it’s the cause of your problem it’s probably better to change your permanent link mode from messy to something like /section/title, to maintain a consistent URL scheme thoughout your site.

#723 2010-06-20 15:37:43

olivierh
Website

Hi Els,
I followed your advice concerning the form of the permanent link but as you guessed it didn’t resolve the problem.
Thank you for the tag trace tip, I guess it’s much easier to understand what is happening now. I passed in debugging mode and here is what the tag trace of an empty category page is giving :

<txp:article />
	[SQL (0,000860929489136): select count(*) from textpattern where 1=1 and Status = 4 and Posted <= now() and (now() <= Expires or Expires = '0000-00-00 00:00:00') and (Category1 IN ('new-york') or Category2 IN ('new-york')) and Section IN ('articles')]
	[SQL (0,00101017951965): select *, unix_timestamp(Posted) as uPosted, unix_timestamp(Expires) as uExpires, unix_timestamp(LastMod) as uLastMod from textpattern where 1=1 and Status = 4 and Posted <= now() and (now() <= Expires or Expires = '0000-00-00 00:00:00') and (Category1 IN ('new-york') or Category2 IN ('new-york')) and Section IN ('articles') order by Posted desc limit 0, 10]

So the problem seems to be that it is looking for articles having “new-york” fr category but in the old category tables (category1 and category2 which are now set to no selection for all articles) and not in the new one (categorize), no? Do you understand why?

(added bc. for better code display. -Els)

Last edited by els (2010-06-20 20:06:02)

#724 2010-06-20 20:11:06

els

Look what I found on the plugin page :)

rss_unlimited_categories_article_list

Lists articles by category. This is a replacement for the standard Textpattern article list tags that uses the unlimited category tables instead of the standard Textpattern category 1 and 2 fields.

#725 2010-06-21 12:34:52

olivierh
Website

Yes! that’s it, it works now!

The only thing is that when I’m in debugging mode I get a few of error message like this one :

Tag error: <txp:rss_unlimited_categories_article_list section=“articles” limit=“5” /> -> Notice: Undefined variable: uExpires on line 922
textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(594) : eval()’d code:483 populateArticleData()
textpattern/publish.php:1106 rss_unlimited_categories_article_list()
textpattern/publish.php:1028 processTags()
textpattern/publish/taghandlers.php:2625 parse()
textpattern/publish.php:1106 if_individual_article()
textpattern/publish.php:1041 processTags()
textpattern/publish.php:506 parse()
index.php:45 textpattern()

But in normal mode it works perfectly. Should I worry about this?
Anyway thank you very much for your help, it’s great to see the website working!

#726 2010-07-28 05:14:21

aswihart
Website

It would be nice if rss_unlimited_category_count could count all articles including those in children categories. I suppose it is possible to use rss_unlimited_category_count along with rss_unlimited_categories_article_list usechildren="1" and adi_calc like this (untested):

<txp:category_list break="li">
<txp:variable name="count1" value='<txp:rss_unlimited_category_count section=''<txp:section />'' name=''<txp:category />''  />' />
<txp:rss_unlimited_categories_article_list section='<txp:section />' category='<txp:category />' usechildren="1" form="count1-add1" limit="999" />
<txp:category title="1" link="1" section="default" /> (<txp:variable name="count1" />)
</txp:category_list>

…with <txp:adi_calc name="count1" add="1" /> in the count1_add1 form.

It sure would be more convenient though if one or both of the following attributes could be added, if anyone has the talent and interest to do it:

• add attribute countchildren= 0 / 1 to rss_unlimited_category_count
  • add attribute useparents = 0 / 1 to rss_unlimited_categories_article_list

Last edited by aswihart (2010-07-28 05:45:07)

#727 2010-12-12 22:25:20

lifeJam
Website

Found minor bug:

on line #159 should be
$sortdir instead of $sort

otherwise gives an error message about the tag ‘sort’ not found when trying to use <txp:rss_uc_filedunder />

‘innocence is no excuse’ – Saxon
mobileWarp | cureAnxietyPanic

#728 2011-01-11 10:01:46

ricoschette

Need a bit help with implementing “rss_unlimited_categories” instead of TXP categories.

Right now I have this code:

———

<txp:if_category>

<h1><txp:category title=“1” /></h1>

<txp:article listform=“article_listing_kaupmehed” form=“kaupmees” limit=“9” />

<txp:else />

<txp:article status=“sticky” form=“asukoht” />

<txp:if_article_list>

<txp:category_list exclude=“avaleht-uudis,kalatoidud,kaupmees,leiunurk,parimad-pakkumised,pearoog,tore-ajaviide,turg,vaega-hea-retsept,vaerske-kaup,eelroog,supp,salat,suupiste,soolane-kuepsetis,magus-kuepsetis,pearoog-lihast,pearoog-kalast,pearoog-koeoegiviljast,lisandid,magustoit,hoidis,jook”>

<txp:category title=“1” wraptag=“h1” link=“1” />

<txp:article_custom section=“kaupmehed” listform=“article_listing_kaupmehed” form=“kaupmees” limit=“9” category=’<txp:category />’ />

</txp:category_list>

<txp:else />

<txp:article form=“kaupmees” />

</txp:if_article_list>

</txp:if_category>

———

How do I change it with rss_unlimited_categories?
Thanks!

#729 2011-01-19 08:55:41

ricoschette

Anyone want to make quick 15€?
Will transfer through PayPal any time.

Can’t wrap my mind around it myself.

Perhaps rss_uc isn’t best solution here?
Anyway, the website is here
As you see, in content middle div there are categories with article titles posted in it.

Need to make it around, so more than 2 categories per article can be used.

#730 2011-01-26 15:45:55

amyng

I had some trouble initially with getting rss_unlimited_categories to work on 4.2.0 (404 error with category article listings), but I managed to find a fantastic step by step over at TXP Tips:

http://txptips.com/creating-unlimited-categories

Hope this helps those who are looking for it!

#731 2011-02-12 06:09:23

husainhk
Website

Hello all,

I am trying to implement a simple keyword search, on the public site, for my articles categorised with rss_unlimited_categories … don’t know really where to start! Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Husain

Last edited by husainhk (2011-02-12 06:25:59)

#732 2011-04-14 19:42:05

ecklesroad
Plugin Author
Website

Does anyone know how to show the current article with the others in a list created by rss_uc_article_list. My lists show all the articles for a given category except the current one.

Board footer