Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2006-02-02 03:45:27

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_unlimited_categories - Unltd. Article Categories

Sorry folks, I don’t seem to get notified when people post to the forums in 9 out of 10 cases so I haven’t seen these posts over the past few days. To answer summarize the questions above:

• You do not need to use custom fields with this plugin. It creates a new table that stores the relationship between articles and categories.
  • The standard TXP article tags and any plugins except this one will not recognize the category selections that the plugin sets. Why? Because its written to a new table that only this plugin is aware of. The rss_unlimited_categories_article_list tag is a multiple category aware replacement for the TXP article tags.
  • The article list page will not show your multiple category selections for the same reason mentioned above.
  • The standard category1 and category2 will still show with this plugin installed. Why? Because you might want to use both so that you can use a standard TXP tag or plugin.
  • There seem to be problems with /section/category URLs which I’ll have to look into.

I think that about covers it all for now…

#38 2006-02-02 07:22:29

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Thank you.

Just to know: are you planning to add a rss_recent_article tag or something? I’ve a problem that can only be solved being capable to calculate relations among articles based on category similarity. Chh plugin already have a bunch of ways to calculate relationship, so it may just be a matter of adding also your db table one. I’m not so good to do it myself.

Thanks anyway.

Z-

#39 2006-02-02 08:52:05

RHD
Website

Thanks, Neil and Rob. I understand better now that I’ve played around with it a bit.

For the reasons Rob mentioned above, txp:related_article doesn’t work with this plugin. I’ll have to play around with rss_unlimited_categories_article_list and see what does work.

Thanks again, Rob.

#40 2006-02-02 16:15:49

mcmurz

Thank you! Your plugin gives me the final decision to move to textpattern :]
However, I’ve still haven’t managed to make it work yet.
After installation, nothing changed on the Content:Write page. There’re still two drop-down boxes for categories. Can anyone help please?

#41 2006-02-02 17:49:19

dustandmold

Rob, your plugins have proven invaluable in my work – textpattern simply wouldn’t be my CMS of choice without your contribution.

A couple of things:

1. I’m having trouble getting the category extension to the URL working both in section/title and section/ID/title URL modes. I know you’re on this right now ;) I’m using 4.0.3 btw.

2. rss_unlimited_categories_article_list isn’t outputting. May be linked to the above issue.

3. In the help section of the plugin, you have the same description for several of the plugin’s properties: ‘The maximum number of categories returned.’ Not a big deal, just thought I’d point it out.

p.s. the site presenting these issues is hosted locally. however, my apache server is correctly configured for clean urls.

#42 2006-02-02 18:31:01

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

> Zanza wrote:
Just to know: are you planning to add a rss_recent_article tag or something?

Yes, I’m planning on it.

> mcmurz wrote:
After installation, nothing changed on the Content:Write page. There’re still two drop-down boxes for categories. Can anyone help please?

Welcome to the forums mcmurz. First, I assume you activated the plugin? Second, are you getting any javascript errors on the page? And are you using TXP 4.0.3?

> dustandmold wrote:
In the help section of the plugin, you have the same description for several of the plugin’s properties: ‘The maximum number of categories returned.’ Not a big deal, just thought I’d point it out.

Thanks never noticed that. Still working on the rest of the issues you mentioned.

#43 2006-02-02 19:32:02

mcmurz

Welcome to the forums mcmurz. First, I assume you activated the plugin? Second, are you getting any javascript errors on the page? And are you using TXP 4.0.3?

Thank you for such a fast reply. Yes, I have activated it to ‘yes’ and am using version 4.0.3.

#44 2006-02-03 17:24:25

wilshire
Plugin Author
Website

> mcmurz wrote:
Thank you for such a fast reply. Yes, I have activated it to ‘yes’ and am using version 4.0.3.

Any JS errors on the page? Can you see if the plugins table (textpattern_category) was created?

#45 2006-02-03 20:50:28

mcmurz

Any JS errors on the page? Can you see if the plugins table (textpattern_category) was create

Thank you very much, wilshire. I’ve changed to view in Firefox and it’s now working wonderfully. The db table was created since the plugin installation/activation. In IE where I used before there wasn’t any indication of JS error (or just me being a novice and noticing none), but the list didn’t show either.

#46 2006-02-05 04:14:50

sthmtc
Website

great work but i’m getting the 404s on the category links, too. i’m using a fresh install of textpattern 4.0.3, url scheme is section/title (tried section/ID/title but that doesnt work either). would be very happy if you’d find a solution for this problem. :)

Last edited by sthmtc (2006-02-05 04:15:05)

#47 2006-02-08 11:00:25

Kossatsch
Website

Anybody who knows enough about mySQL to help me migrate forom Aroussis Plug-In to Rob’s?

I need a kind of SQL command saying

• for each entry of textpattern
  • if string1 in field costum1 of textpattern
  • then add an entry to textpattern_category with article_id and category_id

This would be pretty cool for my 50 tags, much cooler than tagging manually around 1000 articles…
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kossatsch (2006-02-08 11:00:52)

txp at irox.de since spring 2004 (g1.17) & at roxomatic since 2006.

#48 2006-02-08 14:06:57

alexandra

I like to pick up my first post, where i wrote:

I am using the 0.1 plugins version and get a 404 page error when hitting the assigned article category.

See TXP Mag

The TAG Cloud is generated but does not filter any articles in section article. Instead it redirects me to 404.

Last edited by alexandra (2006-02-08 14:42:19)

Board footer