Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-01-28 21:48:10

NeilA
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_unlimited_categories - Unltd. Article Categories

I haven’t played further with it Soulship, but I do know that custom fields are not required, because the plugin creates and uses it’s own table structure – see the help section of the plugin.

I’m sure Rob (or someone) will chime in with the answer…

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#26 2006-01-29 05:28:31

blumie607
Website

Soulship: The category choice should be “selected/highlighted” in the list. If you’ve transferred articles, you might have to “reselect” the category.

Last edited by blumie607 (2006-01-29 05:29:14)

bludrop studios .::. Creative Expression

#27 2006-01-29 10:02:57

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

> soulship wrote:

> Thats what I inferred, but the crtl clicking works for selection, however I do not see where it is actually “tagging” anything. If you come back to the article later there is no indication that any cat has actually been assigned.

For me the selection is all: no need to indicate what categories are selected in other places than the select box. It is the input and output interface at the same time. I admit that at first I was having doubts too, but that is. If you select with ctrl + click multiple categories, when you come back to the article, the categories you’ve choosen should be still selected with a different colour. If not, well, it’s not working :). But this shouldn’t be the case.

To output in article/list pages, you have to use one of the tags the plugin introduce.

Z-

#28 2006-01-29 12:00:20

soulship
Website

OK I needed to uninstall and reinstall?? For some reason the tables did not seem to get installed the first time. I don’t know what happened maybe a txd thing who knows at any rate it is working now and I did infer correctly as Zanza and Niel have pointed out [crtl] click is the way to go. Once the tables are actually in place it does correctly store the information.

Thanks folks off to bomb another thread now ;)

#29 2006-01-31 05:03:02

theonlydrew

Call me a numb-skull, but where articles categories listed. I’m using this so that I can assign more than one category for a user’s articles, but a when a user views the “Articles” tab, they cannot browse by Category, because it still says Cat 1 and Cat 2, and nothing is filled in. Am I mis-using this plugin?

#30 2006-01-31 05:04:34

theonlydrew

Also, when I use the txp:article_custom category=”“ I get nothing returned. Can I only use the rss tags to list these multiple categories?

#31 2006-01-31 09:39:26

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

> theonlydrew wrote:

> Also, when I use the txp:article_custom category=”“ I get nothing returned. Can I only use the rss tags to list these multiple categories?

If you want to refer to categories, yes. They rely on a new db table.

Z-

#32 2006-01-31 22:35:23

theonlydrew

Sorry Zanza, I’m a little confused.
So I cannot use existing tags such as {txp:article_custom category=“One of the multiple categories” /} ? Or I can? Because currently I cannot, and I was wondering if I was misusing the plugin. So, can I use the multiple categories that I have selected with other text pattern tags, or can I only use them with rss_unlimited_categories tag?

Also, is there a way for these unlimited_categories to be listed and sorted, like cat1 and cat 2 are under the Articles SubTab.

#33 2006-02-01 10:02:54

alexandra

I am using the 0.1 plugins version and get a 404 page error when hitting the assigned article category.

Instead of:
http://localhost/txpt/article?c=design
i get:
http://localhost/txpt/article/design
which does of course not work.

The all over URL scheme i use is: section/title on TXP 4.0.3

Last edited by alexandra (2006-02-01 10:06:17)

#34 2006-02-02 02:33:01

RHD
Website

Thanks, Rob, for developing this. I’ve been wanting Txp to have more-than-two-category capability for a long time.

Just to make sure there’s not something weird with my install: Are the default category selection drop-downs supposed to still be displayed after I install the plugin? ‘Cause now, after installing it, it looks like I have two ways to select categories: The old standard way and the new Rob-is-awesome way.

I can make sense of it, but some of the other authors on my site might not.

Last edited by RHD (2006-02-02 02:33:18)

#35 2006-02-02 03:00:11

NeilA
Website

What you are seeing is correct RHD.
Rob’s plugin is an additional function to the built in categories – it even uses new tables in the db, and, of course you use new tags to display/use the new multi-category features.

So while it might be a tad confusing initially for users, a little education should help.

Idea: perhaps have just one available ‘category’ under the original category list, reading: “Don’t use this!” ;-)

Regards

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

Board footer