Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2006-04-12 06:26:12

april19
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_unlimited_categories - Unltd. Article Categories

I have had no success at using the rss_unlimited_categories_articles_list so I thought I’d have a squizz at the source code (non semi-able code monkeys beware)..

I have managed to get the rss_unlimited_categories_articles_list tag working.

From line 255 (or thereabouts) the query (IMHO) should resemble:

$q = “SELECT DISTINCT t.ID FROM “.PFX.“textpattern as t LEFT JOIN “.PFX.“textpattern_category as tc ON t.ID = tc.article_id LEFT JOIN “.PFX.“txp_category as cat ON cat.id = tc.category_id WHERE Status=4 “.$sections.” “.$categories;

The next conundrum we see is line 264 (or thereabouts). Can anyone else shed light on where the $id variable is set?

Without playing around with the previous query and other variables I can’t figure out how to access the query data to then allow the return of the actual articles which I think is stopped at that unset variable..

wilshire, can you do some magic?

As well as the above modifications to the code, line 264 should look like the following:

$artsql[$ID] = “ ID = ‘” . $ID . “’ “;

And line 280 should look like:

$q2 = “1=1 AND “ . $articles . “ ORDER BY uPosted desc “ . “limit “ . doSlash($pgoffset.$limit);

Finally, back up your data before listening to the advice of strangers.

Thanks for the plugin wilshire!

Last edited by april19 (2006-04-18 02:45:00)

#110 2006-04-12 19:33:18

molly
Website

Thank you very much for this handy plugin, Rob!

#111 2006-04-16 19:29:28

frederik

Hi,
First of all – this seems like a really usefull plugin – so thanks for your effort in making it!

I’m having some problems with the plugin though. I’ve installed it, activated it, created article categories and selected multiple categories for my articles.
In my article form I’ve used the “rss_unlimited_categories_filedunder” tag, but there is no output!

I’m running TXP 4.0.3 (r1188)
I get the following Javascript error message:

uncaught exception: [Exception… “Component returned failure code: 0×80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE) [nsIWebNavigation.loadURI]” nsresult: “0×80070057 (NS_ERROR_ILLEGAL_VALUE)” location: “JS frame :: chrome://global/content/viewSource.js :: viewSource :: line 140” data: no]

The page in question is: nefanorden.org/about.

I hope someone can help!

/Frederik

#112 2006-04-16 20:53:22

NeilA
Website

Looking at the source of that page, you have a typo in the tag: <code><rss_unlimited_categories_filedunder label=“Tags: “ /></code>

That should be: <code><txp:rss_unlimited_categories_filedunder label=“Tags: “ /></code>

See how that works…

Cheers

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#113 2006-04-16 21:14:12

fineartdavid
Website

papalozarou wrote:

It’s working for me now.

I seem to be getting the same problem you had. My article list is empty when I click on one of the tags. Did you work out how to fix it, or was it just fine once you installed version 0.3?

In my default template I have

<blockquote><code><txp:if_category>
<txp:rss_unlimited_categories_cloud linktosection=“category” />
<txp:rss_unlimited_categories_article_list />
<txp:else/>
<txp:article />
</txp:if_category>
</code></blockquote>

My tag cloud is being created fine, but there are no articles listed below it.

Last edited by fineartdavid (2006-04-17 16:34:11)

#114 2006-04-17 06:00:04

frederik

>NeilA wrote:
>
>
>That should be: <code><txp:rss_unlimited_categories_filedunder label=“Tags: “ /></code>

I must b blind! I was sure it was something as simple as that – thanks!

/Frederik

Last edited by frederik (2006-04-17 07:49:40)

#115 2006-04-17 12:45:32

jriemerm

The instructions for installing this were incredibly simple, so I don’t know where I could have gone wrong. I have TXP 4.03, a new install; and I installed this plugin on top of it. Clicked the plugin to make it show “yes” for “active. But only the old categories chooser is visible on any of the article pages.

I also tried running the two SQL insert commands suggested, which ran fine but it still doesn’t work. Is there another step involved I missed?

thanks,

james

#116 2006-04-17 12:52:57

papalozarou

fineartdavid wrote:

I seem to be getting the same problem you had. My article list is empty when I click on one of the tags. Did you work out how to fix it, or was it just fine once you installed version 0.3?

It just worked. The reason it didn’t work when I first installed it was because i had disabled the bloody plugin (doh), and once I re-activated it, it worked fine.

The code I have in my templates is thus:

txp:rss_unlimited_categories_list label=“Tags” labeltag=“h2” linktosection=“tags”

Though it’s actually switched off at the moment. I don’t have a ‘tags’ section, so there is no code in that bit. All I want now is to sort it descending rather than ascending then I will turn it on proper.

Last edited by papalozarou (2006-04-17 12:54:08)

#117 2006-04-17 13:07:15

fineartdavid
Website

papalozarou wrote:

It just worked. The reason it didn’t work when I first installed it was because i had disabled the bloody plugin (doh), and once I re-activated it, it worked fine.

I guess I’ll have to keep poking around untill I spot the basic error I’ve made!

Algaris wrote:

After doing some testing I found I could get the rss_unlimited_categories_list and rss_unlimited_categories_cloud options to work…

I don’t suppose you can shed any light on the situation?

In the meantime, I’ve slightly altered the plugin to include a rel=“tag” attribute for the links at the bottom of my articles using the rss_unlimited_categories_filedunder function.

Line 135 now reads

<code>$cats[]=tag(htmlspecialchars($b[‘title’]),‘a’,’ href=”’.$path.’” rel=“tag” title=”’.htmlspecialchars($b[‘title’]).’”’);</code>

The idea is to have the tags picked up by Technorati, but I haven’t got any further down that line yet.

Last edited by fineartdavid (2006-04-17 16:26:35)

#118 2006-04-17 20:27:24

ragger
Website

Hmmm, it is not working here. I want to run this plugin on an existing site, so I have to run the two SQL insert commands. They don’t seem to run though, I get an error message:

Table ‘txp.textpattern_category’ doesn’t exist

INSERT INTO textpattern_category (article_id, category_id) SELECT t.id, c.id FROM textpattern t LEFT JOIN txp_category c on t.category1 = c.name where c.type = ‘article’ and t.category1 != ‘’;

0/1 Query(s) Executed Successfully

The plugin doesn’t seem to have created a new table in the database. Since I don’t know what I am doing with that sql stuff, I hesitate to experiment, afraid to damage valuable information.

Could one of you please give me a hint? Thanks in advance!

#119 2006-04-18 22:09:36

rossharvey
Website

fineartdavid: Let me know if you manage to fix it, and I will do the same – it seems we a similar problem.

I have…

1. Enabled the plugin
2. Added <code><txp:rss_unlimited_categories_list linktosection=“notebook”/></code> to the default page (works fine)
3. Added <code><txp:rss_unlimited_categories_filedunder linktosection=“notebook”/></code> to the default article (works fine)

Yet when I click on either an article tag, or category list, I get a blank page. It is as if it cannot ‘see’ articles under the categories/tags, even though the articles display the tags correctly.

Am I missing a simple step somewhere?

Edit: The problem I was having was using the default page. I created a page for the notebook section and added:

<code> <txp:if_article_list> <txp:rss_unlimited_categories_article_list linktosection“notebook” /> </txp:if_article_list>

<txp:if_individual_article> <txp:article /> </txp:if_individual_article>
</code>

Works great now :¬)

Last edited by rossharvey (2006-04-19 11:06:48)

#120 2006-04-19 09:29:12

Algaris

fineartdavid: I suspect I might have been having the same problems as you. I only tested rss_unlimited_categories_list and rss_unlimited_categories_cloud using the default tags to see if I could get it to output anything, as I was having difficulties getting the rss_unlimited_categories_articles_list tag to work. I vaguely seem to recall that when I clicked on the links generated by rss_unlimited_categories_list and rss_unlimited_categories_cloud it went to a blank page. At the time I assumed I’d used the tags incorrectly and was more interested in what was initially outputted by it.

Board footer