Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2006-03-28 00:21:52

squaredeye
Website

Re: [archived] bab_newsletter: Newsletter Manager for Textpattern

Ben,
Howdy. I’ve got this running at artiswork.org via the EOP plugin (co-installed with this one)
you can find the subscription form here

I found that the folks who subscribed via the form had their names duplicated in the “subscrbers” area? I tried to delete the copies, but both were deleted even if only one of the copies was checked for deletion.

Does that make sense?
Otherwise its working great!!!
Thanks bro,

Matthew

#98 2006-03-28 18:31:48

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

ma_smith,

Will you humor me and see if placing the bab_subscribe form on a page without the other form — which has a field with the same name [ie, “email”] — might resolve the issue? It could be that it’s somehow sending two copies of the email address. If that does resolve it, then it’s a matter of me replacing the hardcoded name “email” with something more unique, like “bab_subcribe_email.” Otherwise I’ll have to dig a little deeper.

Glad to hear it’s working well … I’ve been slowly but fairly steadily working on the next updates to these plugins. Still a ways to go but I’m optimistic that the next version will have “bulk mail,” and also that the subscribe functions will be available as a separate plugin [which would make it so you don’t need NM, if you really want EOP — they both pull from the separate plugin].

– Ben

#99 2006-03-28 18:53:40

squaredeye
Website

Ben,
I should have guessed it.
That’s the problem. The bab_subscribe form on its own does not produce duplicates.
Thanks for all your hard work bro. And that was kind of you to mention me in the help docs, although I feel like I didn’t do much at all :)

Matthew

#100 2006-03-30 00:54:07

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

madebeer,

You cannot do this right now, but it’s certainly a good idea. I’ll look into it. Glad the plugin is useful!

– ben

Last edited by benbruce (2006-03-30 00:54:22)

#101 2006-03-31 06:53:06

rsilletti

I got this installed and working at The Day-Old Weekly

After putting it thru its paces, I found that it integrated flawlessly and operates as described with one exception.

The unsubscribe URL I used involved clean URLs using section/title which didn’t work. I got it working by placing the unsubscribe tag in an article posted to a section (unsub) as the only article in that section, then used a url to that section as follows:
http://dayold.us/index.php?s=unsub
The URL generated in the outgoing email then works perfectly.

Thanks for this, I love it!

#102 2006-03-31 08:08:08

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

rsilletti,

Great to hear you like the plugin … that’s a nice trick for the unsubscribe section with only one article. Personally, I like the idea of having a customized space for the unsubscription — you could place a contact form with a little survey for feedback on why they are leaving, you could try to grab them one last time with something else, etc — so having a dedicated section could make a lot of sense in any case.

The other option which I’ve been describing is to place the article’s “hard” url, not the clean one, in the unsubscribe address field [the one that looks like “http://www.example.com/index.php?id=##”]. Even if your site uses clean urls a hard url like this should take you to the correct article. It only appears in the link at the bottom of your subscriber’s email — doesn’t affect the article or the rest of the site, either.

#103 2006-04-11 00:07:59

dominique

Ben,

It seems I have a problem similar to jw’s and Loid’s already discussed in this forum.

Installation process goes OK.
The new tab newsletters appears.
But when I click on it nothing appear neither the third row of tabs [“create,” “preferences” and “subscribers”] nor Subscribers page. No install tables link at the top of the preferences panel too.

I then tried to install another plugin, Database Manager and it works fine !

My configuration is :
  • Textpattern 4.0.3
  • TXP installation on a sub-domain
  • textpattern tables have a “prefix”
  • url links on newsletters tag is “http://subdomain.anakena/textpattern/index.php?event=newsletter”
  • PHP 4.3.10
  • MySQL 4.1.16-log
  • I use french localization (well, after all who knows ;-) )

Well Ben ! Every post on this forum said [NL] is a fantastic plugin ! I hope I could test it right soon and write this kind of nice words !

-Dominique

#104 2006-04-11 06:42:25

-jw-

-dominique

It’s all in the table prefix. I moved my txp subdomain install to it’s own database (no need for a prefix) and ben’s plugins work like a charm now.

textile deletes my identity

#105 2006-04-11 08:36:33

dominique

jw

Thanks for you quick and efficient answer !
My txp install already have it’s own database : so there is no need for a prefix. The only thing I have to do know is removing the prefix… but I don’t know how to do that in a simple way ! If you have such a simple answer it would be kind to you to post it !

As I plan to use Textpattern in a professional way it is important to me that it works on many foreign host solutions where you cannot operate freely on databases and then remove prefix is not possible. Ben wrote he was working to solve this problem. In my side I’m gonna try to manage free space in my time (!) to have a look at the script code.

-Dominique

Last edited by dominique (2006-04-11 08:43:59)

#106 2006-04-11 08:50:11

-jw-

-dominique

What I did was just removing the prefix via phpmyadmin using the operations tab. Select the table, click the operations tab and rename the table in the appropiate textbox.

Now, I think it should be possible to make a query which does just that for all the table names you want to change, however I don’t know it.

textile deletes my identity

#107 2006-04-11 10:55:26

dominique

jw

Well I just do this procedure, removing the prefix via phpmyadmin but weird things then happened. Nevermind. Guess my config wasn’t clean so I made a new installation of tpx, with it’s own database and with no ‘prefix’ for database.
Now things goes ok ! [NL] stuff appears, I can manage users and so on. Because of my server configuration I can’t manage test of sending e-mail but it should work well !

Thx for your help !

-Dominique

Last edited by dominique (2006-04-11 10:56:21)

Board footer