Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2006-01-16 19:02:50

squaredeye
Website

Re: [archived] bab_newsletter: Newsletter Manager for Textpattern

>As to the “mail when an article is posted,” as far as I can figure it this would have to be a mod, and not a plugin. I don’t know of any way for the plugin to “know” when an article is posted — but you could certainly insert some of the “bab_mail” code into your txp_article function [actually changing your txp code] so that when an article is posted, a mail goes out to subscribers.

Ben,
When you are finished with some of those other requests, I’d be interested to know if you would be willing to look at what a mod like that might look like. I’m not strong in php, but I think a lot of folks would be interested in seeing how this could come together. Perhaps I could help you do some research? Let me know what to find out, and I’ll go looking for it.

Matthew

#26 2006-01-16 19:52:10

steventer

Nice start to a plugin which I think will be used by many people.

But:

1. ZIP has to go
2. How do I add my 1000+ existing subscribers?
3. I’ve entered my “preferences” and sent a test email, worked no problems, but when clicking on preferences tab again, the fields are all empty, although the preferences are still saved, because a second test email was successfully sent… (OK: now I see that values are visible on dashboard tab…)

Nice work; I’ll definitely start using it when these probs/bugs are sorted.

Steve

Last edited by steventer (2006-01-16 19:53:32)

#27 2006-01-17 06:15:49

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Just a quick update: I’m finishing up a new and improved version of the Newsletter Manager, that I think resolves most of the issues brought up in this thread, including the character issue, the “zip” issue, text and HTML emails that gracefully degrade to text, the “privs” issue, language control and more.

I have a meeting all day 1/17 so I probably won’t be able to get it finished until sometime in the evening 1/18, but you never know.

– Ben

PS. As for 1000 + subscribers — take a look at Sencer’s comment in the initial post. Without some heavy duty work on the “mail function” of this script, 1000 is too many. You’ll need something more robust.

PPS. As for the “mail on posting new article” question, the mod I could envision — and again, I haven’t really thought this all the way through — but you would basically find the place in txp_article where the article is posted, and insert the bones of the bab_mail function in there, so at the time you posted a new article, the text [or some portion of it] would be mailed to your subscribers.

If someone else wants to give it a go, have at it, otherwise sometime down the line I’ll take a crack at it [though of course, I think generally the emphasis is on plugins and not mods].

Last edited by benbruce (2006-01-18 23:57:44)

#28 2006-01-17 09:47:16

Zanza
Plugin Author
Website

Great work so far. :)

Never thought about having different newsletter? One can have a newsletter for the editor group of site, and one for users. That is: two or more different lists of addresses, and the choice to select which one we send the NL.

Another benefit would be the capability of add email address via admin interface, and/or by uploading a txt file with one address per row (to import lists from different NL programs).

Very good work, anyway! I’m looking forward the language control, it would be great! :)

Z-

#29 2006-01-17 13:11:14

squaredeye
Website

Ben,
As you suggested, we are emphasizing use of plugins. If you don’t believe this can be done with a plugin, then I would probably stray from the idea. If however you do, I am up for paying a little ransom for something like this, and would be willing to try to drum up a little commotion to see if I could get others on board.)

Thanks for considering.

Matthew

#30 2006-01-18 10:17:11

vinterstille
Website

Great plugin – it would be nice if I could set properties in the admin like: Invite text, submit button text etc. instead of having to edit the plugin to get localization.
I would also be willing to pay a little ransom if it would help speed up development :)

update: The subscribe form works fine, the name and adress is registered in the database, but when i create a newsletter and send it, the admin panel tells me that the newsletter is sent, but none of the subscribers recieve the email. When I do a test newsletter, I recieve the newsletter, so I guess its not a server problem… Any ideas?

Last edited by vinterstille (2006-01-18 10:31:58)

http://vinterstille.dk

#31 2006-01-18 12:54:58

skoggy
Website

VINTERSTILLE: I have succesfully sent a newsletter to my “subscribers” (myself times two) so there maybe something else that bothers you… no idea what that can be. Have you checked with your spam filters?

#32 2006-01-19 00:21:41

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Hey all,

I just updated the first post with a new link to get the new version of the Newsletter Manager. This is a much improved version — based on everyone’s comments here — and I think it will satisfy a lot of you. That said, it’s much more complex so please test and reply here so we can make any fixes that are necessary.

About manually subscribing users, and uploading a text file or something for bigger groups — it’s definitely possible. We’ll add it to the “to do” list. With this latest update, there’s “Deletion” so it’ll end up in there somewhere. Maybe a new tab for Management.

Vinterstille, it’s weird that the Mails are not arriving. Post all the details here and we’ll try and get it sorted out.

ma_smith and others — GOOD NEWS. Looking at this page … I took “article” as my event — which is what you are on when you write an article — and my little mockup code sent me an email with the title and the body of the article I just posted! So the bones of this function are already set! Remaining items are: Testing, DB selection [you should be able to choose from txp_users, ign_users, txp_subscribers or any others that are out there], etc. Then it can be released as a separate plugin — bab_email_on_post or something … suggestions for a better name appreciated.

Enjoy!

– Ben

#33 2006-01-19 00:42:03

Jeremie
Website

With 0.2 (by the way, you may want to keep the same name from version to version, and only update the version number, so it will erase the older version when installed) I got these errors accessing the tab, even in production debug level:

Notice: Undefined index: text_signature in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 39

Notice: Undefined index: html_signature in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 40

Notice: Undefined index: text_greeting in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 42

Notice: Undefined index: html_greeting in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 43

Notice: Undefined index: mime_warning in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 44

Notice: Undefined index: subscribe_sorry in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 45

Notice: Undefined index: subscribe_thanks in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 46

Notice: Undefined index: form_hed in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 47

Notice: Undefined index: subscribe_button in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 48

Notice: Undefined index: nl1_name in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 49

Notice: Undefined index: nl2_name in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 50

Notice: Undefined index: nl3_name in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 51

Notice: Undefined index: nl4_name in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 52

Notice: Undefined index: nl5_name in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 53

Notice: Undefined index: archive_default in /users/home/ludysnet/domains/shadowrun.fr/public_html/textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php(459) : eval()’d code on line 54

Do I need to delete the old SQL tables (from 0.1 version) ?

Environnement:
Version de PHP: 5.0.4
server_time: 2006-01-19 00:42:27
MySQL: 4.1.13-log
Locale: fr_FR.UTF-8
Serveur: Apache
php_sapi_mode: cgi-fcgi
os_version: FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE

Last edited by Jeremie (2006-01-19 00:42:49)

#34 2006-01-19 01:03:42

squaredeye
Website

Ben,
Looking forward to it. Thanks for all your hard work.
Matthew

#35 2006-01-19 01:07:30

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Crap … yes, the tables have changed and you will get those errors until the new versions are installed. Also, when you click “Install Tables” it won’t refresh the page, so it’ll look like it hasn’t worked. Click the “newsletter” tab again to see the Preferences populated … Matt, that’s exactly right about the name of the plugin, I’<s>ll do</s>ve done that.

Last edited by benbruce (2006-01-19 01:11:11)

#36 2006-01-19 01:12:17

benbruce
Plugin Author
Website

Also, the email on post is pretty well worked out. This is a done deal — ma_smith and any others, what sorts of requests are there for this feature?

– Ben

Board footer