Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-01-13 08:23:55

lee

Re: 7 suggestions to improve TxP

I created a termonology problem here, by web site owner I mean the client – not the person who creates the site. There is no built in single/mutiple tag or plugin that lets the non tech client very easily add a simple album to a page – all the current offerings require a web site designer to setup an album. This tag isn’t for the designer it’s for the client.

#14 2006-01-13 09:05:09

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

If you forgive my amusement, but this sounds a lot like a <txp:dowhatIwant /> tag.
(We could pass a human readable text with a description of the feature and then we could use some rulebased, expert-system with genetic algorithms and fuzzy logic to re-program a simulated neural-net which outputs some brilliant code – “just what I wanted!”, if not we could always implement some emotions and punish our frankenpattern).

Ok, sorrry ffor the offtopic! I think zem understood what you meant, when he suggested:

A better solution, I think, would be a ready made page template (gallery_default or whatever) that contains the gallery code. That way all that’s required is setting up a section to use that page. You can easily do this for your clients now.

So instead of your suggested:
<txp:album name="friends"/>
you might for example write up a section template and your client would only create a section and assign that template. Or you put the code inside a form and simply call:
<txp:output_form name="album"/> (which includes some plugins/tags that take their information from the url).

#15 2006-01-13 09:15:50

lee

Your amusement is miss placed.

I made 7 reasonable suggestions based on feedback from clients, Zem suggested that might expand the album idea – so I did.

It’s more like <code><txp:doWhatClientsWant /></code>

Last edited by lee (2006-01-13 09:17:39)

#16 2006-01-13 09:56:38

Sencer
Archived Developer
Website

I was not referring to the 7 suggestions, I was referring to the one tag to rule them all.

I also seemed to have gotten you temporarily mixed up with LeeStewart (with whom we talk relaxed, sense of humor and all); I shall make sure to address you with a seemingly more appropiate droughty earnestness. I sometimes forget we’re here for serious business, not fun.

#17 2006-01-13 15:18:00

aesop1
Archived Plugin Author

The Frankentags are dangerous and need to be stopped now!

Can you imagine what would happen to me if <code><txp:doWhatIWant /></code> fell into the hands of my wife?

Seriously, though, Lee, I do like the idea of being able to upload and insert an image while in the article screen.

#18 2006-01-13 15:50:54

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

One Tag To Rule Them All

(Update: Damn it, I should read the whole thread before posting. Sencer already made the obvious Lord of the Rings joke.)

Last edited by ramanan (2006-01-13 15:55:23)

Board footer