1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Plug-in: zem_contact_reborn

#601 2006-10-24 14:16:34

treb0r
Website

Re: Plug-in: zem_contact_reborn

Scratch that, problem solved at last:

1) My problems were caused by using the zem contact tag inside an article (even though I have used it in an article and got it to work on another site)

2) I introduced another problem by copying and pasting code straight from this forum into a form, and I didn’t realise that the double quotes used in this forum are somehow strange and not understood by txp.

Phew

Last edited by treb0r (2006-10-24 14:31:22)

#602 2006-10-27 19:24:51

els

ruud wrote:

Stuart, I can’t find the hack that Els proposed. Browsed through approx. 10 pages surrounding page 18 but didn’t see it. Do you have the post number?

Ruud, it’s here. I don’t think though that it will be very useful for you… ;)

#603 2006-10-27 20:24:23

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’m not sure it’s what ruud requires either Els. I only mentioned it because it was one of the reasons why separate language files weren’t followed up on. I’m still unsure about their viability in terms of maintaining what could turn out to be about 20 different files. I would imagine that each would need to be looked after by someone “native” to the language which might not be a manageable situation. I would also imagine, though this isn’t necessarily the case, that people who have multilingual sites would be well versed in all the languages their site uses so they ought to be able to create and maintain their own language files. The situation comes to mind that a person from one country may be doing work for a client in another country and thus might not be familiar enough with the client’s language to be able to create a new language file. I could go on thinking of all sorts of reasons and situations which is why there is only one language file available at present.

As for versioning, I think the way this plug-in is versioned is the best way to go but then I would wouldn’t I? I think Destry’s idea of a new thread for a new 4.0.4 version is excellent. The first post in a new thread should make it plain that the plug-in is only suitable for TXP version # and if people are using an earlier version they should use the appropriate version of the plug-in, with links to the previous threads. Once a new thread has been opened support for the old version would cease.

And you still haven’t emailed me yet ruud which is why I haven’t sent you my templates. :(

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#604 2006-10-27 20:31:15

els

thebombsite wrote:

I would also imagine, though this isn’t necessarily the case, that people who have multilingual sites would be well versed in all the languages their site uses so they ought to be able to create and maintain their own language files.

This is definitely the case for me. I’m also not using the Dutch localisation for TXP because I don’t like every translation. I’m using en-gb and translated only a few strings used on the public side. The same applies to this plugin. I can imagine that everyone has his/her own preferences for error messages etcetera.

And: hi Stuart, good to hear from you again :)

#605 2006-10-27 20:42:25

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Hi Els and thank you. I am extremely busy though with DarkStar so I shall disappear again from time to time. ;)

Stuart

#606 2006-10-27 20:43:13

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Stuart, I have emailed you, twice even, on october 22nd, but I’ll try again (sent just now). Perhaps it got caught in a spamfilter? This time to both the email address you suggested by email and the one in your profile here at the forum.

For the multi language thing. I wasn’t suggesting that each language must be packaged in a separate plugin, but rather that the design should not prevent people from doing this. Flexibility at zero cost.

#607 2006-10-27 21:06:14

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’ll check why I didn’t receive the earlier emails but I’ve just sent the templates over.

Stuart

#608 2006-10-27 21:19:27

tranquillo
Archived Plugin Author
Website

What about having an admin interface, where you can edit the language strings and save them into a database table?

#609 2006-10-27 21:23:45

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Hello there. Two strangers returned to the fold?

Stuart

#610 2006-10-28 07:21:30

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

tranquillo

The forthcoming l10n MLP Pack for TxP already allows registered plugins’ strings to be edited/translated directly in the admin interface. We knew that zem_contact_lang would be a plugin that many people would like to localise—or even make multi-lingual—so we provide a version of it in the MLP pack.

l10n has just entered private testing and we hope to announce more in a week or so.

Here’s a shot of the l10n plugin string editor in action on the ZCR language plugin…

Regards

Last edited by net-carver (2006-10-28 07:56:22)

Steve

#611 2006-10-28 08:38:44

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Nice!
Since ZCR already uses a single function to lookup translate strings, I hope the required changes to make it work with that l10n MLP plugin are not very big, so perhaps we should include that in zem_contact_reborn and fall back to using zem_contact_lang if no translation was found or if the MLP plugin is not installed.

#612 2006-10-30 08:18:21

net-carver
Archived Plugin Author

ruud,

it’s a fairly simple system involving registering a callback routine that tells the MLP pack the name of its strings. I’ll be supplying a heavily commented version of the Zem_contact_lang plugin in the 10n MLP Pack so any interested plugin authors can see how to do it.

More preludes of l10n MLP features available in this thread.

Last edited by net-carver (2006-10-31 13:46:02)

Steve

1. Index
  2. » Archives
  3. » Plug-in: zem_contact_reborn

Board footer