Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2005-12-13 17:03:37

thame
Website

Re: Textpattern Theme Competition

That’s true, it isn’t a bad idea but it could have a negative impact.

I’m a little busy with final exams right now, but I will have a bit of time over break to set things up. What do you think is a good time to start this? It needs to be during a period where people can give a little time, and I don’t know if the holidays are such a good idea.

I’ve sent out a nice batch of emails to various companies and web hosts for sponsorship, but it isn’t looking good so far…any other suggestions for sponsors (I think we should worry about getting sponsors because not many people will enter if we can’t get some good rewards).

#14 2005-12-14 03:09:46

Nichod

Features should be added because it is both desired by a large amount of people, and follows the direction of Txp’s development. What if all five suggestions are neither?

Which is why it would be up to Dean’s decision. shrugs not a big deal, just thought it was a nice idea:)

Last edited by Nichod (2005-12-14 03:10:09)

#15 2005-12-14 12:24:03

thame
Website

OK, it looks like I’ll be able to take care of the sponsorship part…people seem quite generous :D

Let’s try to hammer out some details:

1) What should the contest dates be? (Starting date and deadline)
2) How should we advertise it? (I will be creating a dedicated site for it, should I buy a domain? If so, what is a good name?)
3) Publicity (Sponsors would like to know how popular it will be, etc)

I’m also still waiting for a “go ahead” from Dean, but hopefully that won’t be a problem

#16 2005-12-14 17:57:52

sekhu
Website

I would also encourage perhaps categories, or would you say the overall winner? I say categories as there’s a shortage of alternative theme styles, say for corporate, gaming clan that sort of thing. It would add some variety as well. Just a thought.

As for 2) How about the textgarden – I’m sure a competition entries category could be set up display on the front.

with regards to 3) I would think both textgarden and the txpmagazine wold be good places to start for advertising.

#17 2005-12-14 20:33:40

thame
Website

I will allow entries of all types and each will be judged based on its merits as a textpattern template, not its intended use. It might be a little too much to separate the contest into categories because there might not be (m)any submissions to the other categories (Textgarden only has one “corporate” template and it is hardly that).

Any other suggestions?

#18 2005-12-14 23:40:12

thame
Website

This is VERY exciting…I’ve already got some wonderful sponsors lined up!

I would really like to get some kind of a consensus on a date to let the sponsors know. When do you think we should start the contest?

I’ll start developing the site for the competition as soon as I can, probably this weekend.

#19 2005-12-15 02:00:05

Nichod

Great thame! I’ll get started on my theme.

#20 2005-12-15 04:13:14

thame
Website

> Nichod wrote:

> Great thame! I’ll get started on my theme.

Thame/Theme haha :D (It’s kinda late)

Anyway, the tentative dates for the competition will be January 4th to February 28th. A little under two months should be a good amount of time. However, I’m still waiting for a reply from Dean to see if I can get an official go-ahead.

#21 2005-12-15 04:46:16

Nichod

How late is it there? And shouldn’t you be working on papers and the like? And when did you redesign your site?

Last edited by Nichod (2005-12-15 04:46:39)

#22 2005-12-15 13:22:49

Zeerus
Website

I won’t be entering the competition, but I’d be more than happy to create some badges and promotional material for the contest, and I’ll link to it on all of the sites I run.

just post the badge sizes here, and if anyone has the logo as a transparent GIF or PNG put it up as well. it’ll just make my job easier. should I stick to the general yellow/white color scheme, or will the contest site have its own design?

finally, for a good name for the site just stick with something simple. the main thing is trying to find a good domain name, if you do decide to purchase one, that is.

[url=http://webfuziondesign.com/textonic]Textonic – Design and Digital Culture[/url]

#23 2005-12-15 15:11:31

thame
Website

Nichod wrote:
Shouldn’t you be working on papers and the like? And when did you redesign your site?

Can ya tell I get distracted easily? Actually, I only have bio and chem finals left and I’m pretty good at those so I’m not worried anymore. Still studying about 8-10 hours a day anyway. I’m planning on a 4.0 my first semester :D

I’m going to be working on the competition site soon, and I’ll be sure to let you know what it’s going to look like. Obviously, I want it to be very simple because it is really about the submitted designs.

Also, I’ll gladly buy a domain, but have been having trouble thinking up of a name. Any suggestions?

#24 2005-12-15 15:40:45

Zeerus
Website

TxPrizes
comPattern

I dunno, that’s all I can think of right now. I’m trying to get some things that combine some part of the word Textpattern or the TXP abbreviation, yet easily suggest that it has something to do with Textpattern too.

[url=http://webfuziondesign.com/textonic]Textonic – Design and Digital Culture[/url]

Board footer