Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2007-01-06 02:45:51

Jeremie
Website

Re: custom order: SECTIONS, etc. - How can you live without it!??!

Sort is just one of the issue. Offset, exclude, alias, fake sections, all of these are as important as sorting.

So yes, some people would need Textpattern to provide some data semi-automatically – for example if they feed TXP with section data often from another source – but they are very few, it should be the realm of plugin work.

In my opinion they are a lot of others very basic feature still needed in the core TXP that haven’t been covered yet (and are pointed out, documented, etc.) that should go in first, way before sections/menus. But as Zem said, TXP is not made by needs, but by offers.

#14 2007-01-06 03:24:59

nardo

I imagine it could work like the LINKS tab where there is a field for ‘Sort Value’ – by default it’s based on the Title, but you can change it to whatever you like

having said that – the section_list tag now offers a custom sort order if you use the attribute “sections” which is great
http://textbook.textpattern.net/wiki/index.php?title=Txp:section_list_/

#15 2007-01-07 13:12:02

Vin

Jeremie wrote:

Sort is just one of the issue. Offset, exclude, alias, fake sections, all of these are as important as sorting.

So yes, some people would need Textpattern to provide some data semi-automatically – for example if they feed TXP with section data often from another source – but they are very few, it should be the realm of plugin work.

In my opinion they are a lot of others very basic feature still needed in the core TXP that haven’t been covered yet (and are pointed out, documented, etc.) that should go in first, way before sections/menus. But as Zem said, TXP is not made by needs, but by offers.

I’m not so sure whether they are as important as sort… I think that in many cases (for middle-sized sites, where are several contributors), where do you want just simple menu with many sections (and perhaps just a separated submenu, too), custom sort via inline order in the page template becomes unnoticed, and omitting a section is very likely. Thus, I’m surprised as well as Andjules there hasn’t been a plugin yet.

Last edited by Vin (2007-01-07 13:13:33)

#16 2007-01-21 23:40:24

ande

I second the need.

We know it is not the firstmost thing to do, but nevertheless..

without it, txp is more a blog, with it, it is also a cms. :-)

#17 2007-03-18 16:05:16

tsidel

I also second the need. I am beginning to believe I have been mislead about txp. I am wanting to give over total content control to my clients through the forms interface not allowing them to ever see the pages-presentation templates (code). If they want to add a new section or rearrange them, I had hoped it would be configurable completely through the sections-tab of the presentation tabs. I’m just not seeing how that is possible at this point.

I have seen some of the plugins but as I read about each one.. it still seems as if the sections have to be ordered within the code. Am I missing something?

#18 2007-03-18 16:34:45

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

tsidel wrote:

I also second the need. I am beginning to believe I have been mislead about txp. I am wanting to give over total content control to my clients through the forms interface not allowing them to ever see the pages-presentation templates (code). If they want to add a new section or rearrange them, I had hoped it would be configurable completely through the sections-tab of the presentation tabs. I’m just not seeing how that is possible at this point.

Since txp’s early beginnings sections have always been about presentation and clients normally have/need no access to that code. Categories is what clients have access to and they are the ones that I believe that they should be enabled to be organised in a custom order.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#19 2007-03-19 01:47:31

tsidel

hmm.. thanks for that clarification.

I read somewhere that explained the ‘sections’ of txp much like the ‘sections’ of a newspaper.. sports, news, politics, business, etc… and I was just wanting to allow my client to add a new section to the ‘newspaper’ if they chose to.

But, after reading this: http://textpattern.com/faq/112/how-are-sections-and-categories-different Maybe I should treat ‘categories’ as I have treated my sections.. and let those be the main navigation sections through and around the site. I really want to allow my client the most flexibility possible… short of having a fulltime web person who can making these changes for them..

#20 2010-10-12 23:55:19

nabrown78
Website

Ordering ordering…

Occasionally section, category, and article ordering comes up in this forum. I have often found it would be handy to be able to customize the order in which categories are listed, for example. Article ordering has more options — you can manipulate the date or use a custom field, but categories and sections are much harder.

I would love to see this feature implemented in TXP5…Of course, I am likely underestimating the task, but as someone else in this thread mentioned, it seems like the addition of an extra field for storing the sort value would get you much of the way there.

If I were a PHP expert, I would work on plugins for this, but alas, I am not.

#21 2010-10-13 00:06:43

radneck
Plugin Author

nabrown78 wrote:

[…] but as someone else in this thread mentioned, it seems like the addition of an extra field for storing the sort value would get you much of the way there.

I too think this should be core functionality in TXP 5, but until then, have a look at esq_sectionsort, it adds an extra sort field to sections.

Last edited by radneck (2010-10-13 03:05:41)

Board footer